CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

sam_webmaster

On 1/26/2018 at 7:26 PM, Elspeth said:

Thank you so much Drowan, I shared on my Page too :)

As a follow up to the commentary about Peter Grant's persuasive ways, here is the Rolling Stones' promotional Carnegie Hall poster next to that of Led Zepplin:

Image result for rolling stones carnegie hall 1964

carnegihall69_ad.jpg

I vote for the LZ poster!!!

On 1/26/2018 at 11:44 AM, duckman said:

+1 wonderful.

Amazed though of the modest interior of the legendary Carnegie Hall. When Chris Welch described the show I imagined something like the Albert Hall , or the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. The lack of extra mics also kills any hope for a professional recording of this show :-(

Totally agree about the modest interior.  What's amazing is if you compare the interior photos from the Rolling Stones concert five years earlier, there is not much difference in the interiors.  Carnegie Hall actually "recycled" the Rolling Stones' concert backdrop for the Led Zeppelin stage performance.  Compare these Stones concert photos with those of LZ that night at Carnegie Hall:

Image result for rolling stones carnegie hall 1964

image.jpeg.81066c0897deb430e8f02e6f7efc5ec9.jpeg

1969-10-17-carnegie-hall--08.jpg

Edited by drowan

On 1/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, Mook said:

They're absolutely amazing.

My life would be complete if a recording of this was to ever come out.

This is the latest data base entry I could find concerning the potential for a recording made of the Carnegie Hall concert:

Led Zeppelin Fourth U.S. Tour

October 17, 1969 - November 8, 1969

OCTOBER 17 - MAIN AUDITORIUM, CARNEGIE HALL, NEW YORK, NEW YORK (FRIDAY 8:30pm and midnight SHOWS)
Rumoured to be recorded professionally.

WARNING! The soundboard recording is rumored to exist. Approach any tapes or CDs that claim to be this date with caution.

Led Zeppelin Database email update

This is the reference:

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/1969.htm

On 1/26/2018 at 5:00 PM, porgie66 said:

Incredible! Thank you so much for sharing these. This was supposed to be a legendary performance by Bonham of Moby Dick. Any recollection of his playing on the drum solo? He was supposed to have been extraordinary that night .  I thought I read somewhere that Eddie Kramer was at this show. 

This is one of the better "recollections" of the drum solo.  It's captured in an excerpt from Chris Welch's 2007 Melody Maker magazine feature story on John Bonham that includes some additional back-stage color on Bonzo's stage prep and playing that night at the Carnegie Hall concert in October 1969:

image.png.7ef44790cf0f4e0beb939c83030e31d5.png

Edited by drowan

On 1/27/2018 at 6:40 AM, anniemouse said:

Do you know what else is fascinating about these images. They show a band who needed no bells and whistles; no video's or massive lighting rigs to hypnotize the crowd. How low key did it look but magical all the same.  

Yes, the simple raw energy of the band without "bells and whistles" was the key ingredient.  Here's a great excerpt from Hulett and Prochnicky's book, Whole Lotta LED, describing the straightforward intensity and impact of Led Zeppelin's concerts during the Autumn 1969 North American Tour that took them to Carnegie Hall in New York as a first stop:

image.png.12d27ef4d2995115ef08868577a872dc.png

Here's a little additional perspective on groupie and eventual author, Pamela Des Barres, who co-wrote, I'm With the Band and spent quite a bit of time on the road with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant:

image.png.d88d5cc8e9fa06112c15444daac5bdaa.png

Some additional color on Des Barres and LZ can be gained through this You Tube video which includes a couple of candid shots of her with Jimmy Page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AzTPEcg6uM

[YOU TUBE VIDEO NOTES:  At 4 minutes and 5 seconds into this almost 8 minute video she talks a bit about her time with Jimmy Page and the other Led Zeppelin band members.]

Pam Des Barres (in the photo below with Jimmy Page) and another groupie, Lori Maddox (right edge of photo), also share some additional tales of life on the road starting in 1969 with Led Zeppelin in this short but very entertaining You Tube video.  The link is below:

Edited by drowan

22 hours ago, rm2551 said:

These ladies are a class act. Pure class. They could have thrown a lot of people under a lot of buses. They are far too honest and have great integrity for anything like that. My hat off to them.

Yes you definitely get the sense of that from some of Pam Des Barres' interviews about her experiences revealed in her best selling book, I'm With the Band:

image.thumb.png.58c8ed97b9dccaf894523a333e0a2df9.png

Edited by drowan

20 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Thank you for the extra information much appreciated.

You're most welcome.  I thought you might enjoy a few other passages from a Noisey 4/27/17 interview Pamela Des Barres gave about her 1969 and 1970 experiences with Led Zeppelin: 

image.png.cbc91fb9ffc944b4067796ddd6936cfc.png

Pamela also talks about her first encounter in 1969 being referred to as a "groupie", when she was with Led Zeppelin:

image.png.162431c8b6b49bd2d50701d48fe67eec.png

Footnote:  Des Barres explains what the "GTO's" were all about:

Des Barres carved out her place in rock 'n' roll history as one of LA's most prolific groupies during the decadent era when the members of Led Zeppelin rode motorcycles down hotel hallways and musicians got crazy rich off of record sales. But she also made music herself as a member of The GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously), a band made up of a bunch of groupies, as organized by Frank Zappa (Des Barres used to babysit his kids). In pictures from the era, Des Barres is an ethereal, glowing redhead in silk vintage wear—exactly the kind of woman you'd want to spend time with if you were a virile young rock star in town for the week.

Edited by drowan

Now I have an image of Robert trying to explain the offside rule and the intense personal rivalry between the mangers Brian Clough and Don Reevie and the historical importance of Billy Wright to the GTO's.

Pamela sounds a lovely women.

Pamela Des Barres first encountered Jimmy Page's and LZ's aura in January, 1969 at Whiskey a Go Go and then had her first personal encounter onstage with Jimmy at the Santa Barbara Civic Center on May 5th of that year (now that's quite a Cinco de Mayo!):

image.png.0cdbd0fc8fe5cbcfb31254c15a1ecd32.png 

It was later that year that Led Zeppelin returned to North America to kick off their Fourth US Tour with a first stop at Carnegie Hall in October 1969.  The timing of the Carnegie Hall concert was perfect - LZ was on the verge of releasing their second album and no longer had to fold in holdover Yardbirds tunes into their set list, LZ and Peter Grant now had the reputation and draw to pull off and sell out a single-bill/take-all evening, and Led Zeppelin had the freedom and control in a single-bill performance format to blow away their fans with over two hours of non-stop, kick-ass, high-intensity rock.  Chris Welch and Pamela Des Barres provide a great "dual perspective" at both ends of the spectrum about this high-energy, fast-paced, transformative period in LZ history during 1969!!  

Edited by drowan

16 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Now I have an image of Robert trying to explain the offside rule and the intense personal rivalry between the mangers Brian Clough and Don Reevie and the historical importance of Billy Wright to the GTO's.

Pamela Des Barres hit if off with Jimmy Page and loved hanging out with the band starting in 1969.  She kept a detailed diary, but was selective on what she included in later books.

image.thumb.png.748a0af35f39eaea145f55015eb940e6.png

16 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Forgot to include this 1969/1970 vintage photo of Pamela Des Barres (top left) with four of her other fellow GTO's:

image.png.7fcd113e0a45887f32031e626c53d25d.png

On 1/31/2018 at 1:05 AM, luvlz2 said:

Huge thanks for sharing these photos as so little photos from the Carnegie Hall concert have previously existed! Love it!

The concert immediately prior to Carnegie Hall was held in London at the Lyceum on October 12, 1969.  Five days later the band would be in New York playing at Carnegie Hall.  Here is a live recording from the Lyceum show of "I Can't Quit You":

image.png.7676f2d96c8420b634343b203d738555.png

Only a month and a half before the Carnegie Hall show, Jimmy Page had just finished mixing Led Zeppelin II with engineer Eddie Kramer in NYC and ironically was having serious doubts about the commercial potential of the yet to be released album.  The individual songs had been recorded in numerous sound studios across the US and in England during intermittent down times while touring and Jimmy in particular was concerned about the quality, consistency and coherence of the raw product that went into the produced sound.  Here's an excerpt from a December 6, 2016 article written by author Dave Lewis and published on the TeamRock.com site: 

image.png.09ff6df2df7d5f73ce2419bf8a9a1ac9.png  

image.png.bdf7112a8cf76ea8b17fd593d2a889db.png

Led Zeppelin II was released on October 22, 1969 (five days after the Carnegie Hall concert) and by the end of the year, the album had topped the Beatles Abbey Road as the number one album on the music charts.  Tremendously successful and momentum building live shows such as the Carnegie Hall performance helped cement the band's reputation and rapidly rising success.  Here is a press interview with Jimmy and Robert in the US, recorded three months after the Carnegie Hall show, at the beginning of 1970 talking about the popularity of their now wildly successful LZ II album:

image.png.597b250385f03313c41f7d8ff07b738f.png

Edited by drowan

Ironically, a month and a half before the Carnegie Hall show, Jimmy Page had just finished mixing Led Zeppelin II with engineer Eddie Kramer in NYC and was having doubts about the commercial potential of the yet to be released album.  The individual songs had been recorded in numerous sound studios across the US and in England during intermittent down times while touring and Jimmy in particular was concerned about the quality, consistency and coherence of the raw product that went into the produced sound.  Here's an excerpt from a December 6, 2016 article written by author Dave Lewis for the TeamRock.com wire: 

image.png.09ff6df2df7d5f73ce2419bf8a9a1ac9.png  

image.png.bdf7112a8cf76ea8b17fd593d2a889db.png

Led Zeppelin II was released on October 22, 1969 (five days after the Carnegie Hall concert) and by the end of the year, the album had topped the Beatles Abbey Road as the number one album on the music charts.  Tremendously successful and momentum building live shows such as the Carnegie Hall performance helped cement the band's reputation and rapidly rising success.  Here is an interview of Jimmy and Robert in the US, recorded three months after the Carnegie Hall show, at the beginning of 1970 talking about the popularity of their now wildly successful LZ II album:

image.png.597b250385f03313c41f7d8ff07b738f.png

Final Reminder for New York Metro Led Zeppelin Fans - The Music of Led Zeppelin "Returns" to Carnegie Hall (3/7/18):  

This is a quick final reminder that the Led Zeppelin Tribute Benefit** at Carnegie Hall will be held on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.  The program is almost sold out, but there are still a few tickets left.  We all know that 2018 is the 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin and almost 49 years since Led Zeppelin performed their one and only spectacular October 1969 concert at Carnegie Hall.  This will be a great way for local NY metro fans to celebrate both the band's 50th  and nostalgically commemorate Zep's incredible one-night performance 49 years ago at this world famous music hall!! No band will ever replicate the extraordinary energy of Zeppelin's famous foursome during the heydays of the late '60's and '70's, but we can certainly gather and recognize their creative genius through lively interpretations performed by a talented gathering of hand-picked contemporary rock musicians. The direct link to the Carnegie Hall box office is below:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/calendar/2018/03/07/the-music-of-led-zeppelin-0800pm

Check out additional information about the evening program and the musicians who will be performing via the link below:

https://musicof.org/

image.thumb.png.de65ed18920c14a6415db17e437ea3cd.png

**All net proceeds from the LZ Tribute will benefit a number of music education programs for underprivileged children in the NY metro area.  See the link below for additional details on the music education programs that will benefit from this special performance fundraiser:

An incredible evening is planned for Wednesday night.  Hope you can join us there!!  

Edited by drowan

On 2/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, SymphonyX said:

Do you remember any of the songs that were played ?  Someone mentioned - C'mon Everybody

Any other song references, like Woody Woodpecker or anything ?

For some additional color on the recording and production of Led Zeppelin II as well as the two songs (Heartbreaker and Moby Dick) from that album that were part of the "core set" played at Carnegie Hall five days before the album's release, see some additional excerpts from Dave Lewis' 2016 "Classic Rock" article on LZ posted on TeamRock.com:

It was in the US that Zeppelin first really made their mark, and their label (Atlantic Records) was anxious to reap full benefit from what was fast becoming their biggest dollar earner since Cream. Zeppelin’s astute manager Peter Grant also saw the vast potential in his band and the momentum they were building, and was happy to go along with Atlantic’s call for a second album to be released by late summer 69.

Fuelled by the gruelling stint on the road, and the chemistry so apparent in their live shows, Page and his bandmates began formulating ideas for their second album. The first batch of recording sessions took place at Olympic Studios in Barnes, west London, in April 69. It was the same place where they had recorded their debut album in a little over a staggeringly quick 30 hours.

But the sessions for what would become Led Zeppelin II would not prove to be quite so fast. The initial recording sessions saw the band working on What Is And What Should Never Be, a drifting, melodic song that would highlight Robert Plant’s growing maturity as a lyricist, and Whole Lotta Love – the song that would soon become their onstage anthem – led by Page’s distinctive, stuttering guitar riff that would later change the face of rock forever.

During the [Second] US tour, the band began road-testing some of their new material; Whole Lotta Love made its full stage debut at a date at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco on April 26. Live, Zep were also regularly featuring a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s Killing Floor that would be retitled and reworked as The Lemon Song when they took it to the studio. Plant threw in lines from Robert Johnson’s Travellin’ Riverside Blues, and this live arrangement of the song was similar in structure to the version recorded by US rock band The Electric Flag.

John Bonham had been showcasing an extended drum solo dubbed Pat’s Delight (a reference to his wife) that he would later take into the studio and rename Moby Dick.  

Both The Lemon Song and Bonham’s drum solo piece were initially laid down at Mystic Sound. It’s worth noting that for the Led Zeppelin II sessions Page had now switched to using a Gibson Les Paul guitar as opposed to a Telecaster that had dominated his late Yardbirds and early Zeppelin work. He was already in possession of a vintage 1958 Les Paul, but added another model during the early American tours. “I had been mainly using the Telecaster, both on stage and in the studio,” Page remembered. “We were at the Fillmore at the time, and Joe Walsh, who was then playing guitar with his outfit The James Gang, said he had a Gibson Les Paul for sale – a 1959 model . He wanted to sell it for five hundred dollars – a right price at the time. Once I started playing it, that was it.”

During the [Third US] tour Page hooked up with engineer Eddie Kramer, noted for his work with Jimi Hendrix on Electric Ladyland. Kramer had also worked at Olympic Studios when Page and Jones were session musicians in the mid-60s. Kramer later recalled: “John Paul Jones was the first to make me aware of Zeppelin when he told me he was joining a group with Jimmy Page. This was before I left England to work in the US. The first time I saw them was at the Fillmore East. They were sensational. I’d known both Jimmy and John Paul from working with them at Olympic, and had followed their careers over the years. I periodically bumped into them, and then I was asked to work on their second album.”

Further tracks were developed at this point: Heartbreaker was recorded in two parts – initially at A&R Studios, with the famous Jimmy Page virtuoso guitar solo added across town at Atlantic Studios. The finishing touches to Bring It On Home were also perfected there.

[Forum Post Footnote:  The full text of the article excerpted in this post may be found at the link below.] 

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-12-06/led-zeppelin-the-story-behind-led-zeppelin-ii

Edited by drowan

On 3/5/2018 at 2:34 AM, drowan said:

Final Reminder for New York Metro Led Zeppelin Fans - The Music of Led Zeppelin "Returns" to Carnegie Hall (3/7/18):  

This is a quick final reminder that the Led Zeppelin Tribute Benefit** at Carnegie Hall will be held on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.  The program is almost sold out, but there are still a few tickets left.  We all know that 2018 is the 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin and almost 49 years since Led Zeppelin performed their one and only spectacular October 1969 concert at Carnegie Hall.  This will be a great way for local NY metro fans to celebrate both the band's 50th  and nostalgically commemorate Zep's incredible one-night performance 49 years ago at this world famous music hall!! No band will ever replicate the extraordinary energy of Zeppelin's famous foursome during the heydays of the late '60's and '70's, but we can certainly gather and recognize their creative genius through lively interpretations performed by a talented gathering of hand-picked contemporary rock musicians. The direct link to the Carnegie Hall box office is below:

https://www.carnegiehall.org/calendar/2018/03/07/the-music-of-led-zeppelin-0800pm

Check out additional information about the evening program and the musicians who will be performing via the link below:

image.thumb.png.de65ed18920c14a6415db17e437ea3cd.png

**All net proceeds from the LZ Tribute will benefit a number of music education programs for underprivileged children in the NY metro area.  See the link below for additional details on the music education programs that will benefit from this special performance fundraiser:

An incredible evening is planned for Wednesday night.  Hope you can join us there!!  

The Led Zeppelin Tribute at Carnegie Hall on March 7 was a great evening enjoyed by a sellout crowd.  A review of the evening including the set list and a list of performers can be accessed via the link below:

https://www.jambase.com/article/the-music-of-led-zeppelin-carnegie-hall-setlist-review

From Jimmy Page's "On This Day"

Traveling en mass, Led Zeppelin managed to miss our plane out of Heathrow, we caught the next available flight which got us into New York just a few hours before we were due to play this prestigious venue. Nevertheless, we played a blinding concert but this was the one and only time we ever got to play Carnegie Hall. Originally I had been led to believe that Carnegie Hall was owned by Dale Carnegie of "How To Win Friends and Influence People" fame, it turns out that this was not the case but he did once rent it for one of his lectures!

On 3/5/2018 at 2:34 AM, drowan said:

The Led Zeppelin Tribute at Carnegie Hall on Wednesday, March 7 involved 21 music artists and was a lot of fun for the audience.  This concert took place almost 49 years after Led Zeppelin's original one night -two-show performance there in October 1969.  Here are a few pictures below from the March 7 evening.  The third photo below includes a string section of violins and cellos for a great rendition of Kashmir!

image.thumb.png.159a20c5bc340f03d10e3710b2b8f726.pngimage.thumb.png.ef8f92add8d4cb5b1f3423da4ebeda47.pngimage.thumb.png.507c443b8963b69b5063b559d5172446.png

Here is a set list (including performers in parentheses) for the Carnegie Hall Led Zeppelin Tribute on March 7, 2018:

Setlist

Set: No Quarter (Holly Bowling & Tom Hamilton), Dancing Days (Matthew Sweet), Ramble On (Joseph Arthur), When The Levee Breaks (Erika Wennerstrom), Your Time Is Gonna Come (Deva Mahal & Binky Griptite), Since I’ve Been Loving You (Ayron Jones), Kashmir (Shannon Conley & Orchestra Now), We’re Gonna Groove (Bustle In Your Hedgerow), The Rain Song (Nicole Atkins w/ Bustle), Hey Hey What Can I Do (moe.), Bring It On Home (The London Souls), Thank You (The Zombies), Fool In The Rain (O.A.R.), All My Love (Bettye LaVette), Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (Son Little), Tangerine (J Mascis), The Lemon Song (Jackie Greene), Whole Lotta Love (Patty Smyth), Rock & Roll (Living Colour), Good Times Bad Times (Everyone)