Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
drpete

9/29/71 Immigrant Song sb release

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, ledpoison1 said:

Is 09/29 the new upcoming soundboard now officially?

Soundboard, probably. Official release by Jimmy?  Not necessarily. I find it hard to believe he'd release a 72 show officially, then re-release it, then release a 71 show with a lot of the same songs. I'd put my money on a post 73 show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Just checked it out. It sounds like a work in progress if it's going to be an official release. Levels aren't quite there, especially the cymbals, which are overloaded on the old " soundboard" are too low. The guitar sounds a bit dry, not much ambience.  There are similarities to the quality of sound of BBC '71 though. I always loved the guitar solo on this night , with the cry-baby at the end. Plant's voice isn't bad but it's not great on this night. He's straining and I wonder if this wouldn't make official muster because of that. 

Got my copy yesterday, have listened to it about 10 times,  compared to Winston Remaster & Live in Japan 1971 by Wendy. Here is my impression:

First, this SB is in mono, so I think this proofs that the well known  "so called SB"-stereo source is an unsuccessful multitrack-split. Overall, this SB is very well balanced. The bass is far more accented, it is a real joy listening to JPJ & Bonzo groovin`while Jimmy trips through maybe the greatest IMS solo ever. I have to agree with you about the guitar, the multitrack-split version is a little bit louder in the mix & sounds a tad more biting than the SB, but that is no big issue IMO. Thankfully, this SB is so well balanced that you can crank it up to 11, it benfits from high volume. But I really can`t agree with you about Robert`s voice. His second wail is a little bit shaken, but afterwards he is doing fine, especially in the great acoustic set.

Conclusion: I love it!

Hopefully EV got the complete SBDs of 928 & 929 & release them in September. Or Jimmy will give us the official multitracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

 

Thanks.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is awesome!!!! The second intro wail is not a voice crack, it sounds like someone goosed him or something...more of a fluctuation or as Randy Jackson would say:

"Hmmm, pretty good Robert but you got a bit pitchy on the second intro wail there dog..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does sound terrific. I wonder why this would sound so much better than the soundboard from Florida on the 31/8/71, only a few weeks before @duckman ? And are you still convinced that we will only get two thirds of the show? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

It does sound terrific. I wonder why this would sound so much better than the soundboard from Florida on the 31/8/71, only a few weeks before @duckman ? And are you still convinced that we will only get two thirds of the show? 

 

Man, I would love a complete show in this quality, but I doubt it. The Grateful Dead employed a dedicated roadie for recording the famous Betty boards...With two Nagra open reel decks, Betty captured a lot of their shows in terrific fidelity (check out  the 77 Cornell University 2CD set from last year!). Obviously Zeppelin was a little less concerned about their live legacy and the existing tapes always seemed to me  more for evaluation purposes than for enjoyment. I could be wrong however and maybe these North American SB recordings were just a warming up for the sound tech at the mixing desk, and maybe he got better and better in changing tape reels between the songs, ...I really do hope so. On the other hand the quality of the Summer SB recordings get worse as the tour progresses: Orlando is nice, Toronto sounds OK but dull and Hampton is clipped.  As I mentioned before 1/4" tapes were not cheap, but not overly expensive either in the early seventies And for a successful band, reserving a set of  four reels per show would not be the end of the world. Let's wait and see.

Edited by duckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lololabrute said:

Yes and 'the different perspective' gives us a lot of room for interpretation :hurrah:

-'How the West Was Won' versus 'How the East Was Won' is one way to shed a different perspective

-Assembling a  Chronological live album (68, 70, 71, 73, 75, 78 )is another approach.

-combining an early 68 club date with Earl's Court would yield a third possibility. I would take the first option, but wouldn't mind the two others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, duckman said:

-How the West Was Won' versus 'How the East Was Won' is one way to shed a different perspective

I want a great Japan live set that this I was thinking/hoping the “different view” meant.

 You’re the first one to post exactly what I was thinking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lololabrute said:

Great news indeed!  Especially that he says there are "a number" of them on the way.  I certainly hope we get something official for Japan '71, and I would bet that's one of the ones he has lined up, but I'm not entirely sure it would qualify as "so different to all the other things that are out there," unless he means it will be one or more complete shows with Plantations et al. intact.  Otherwise, the Japan '71 setlists are too similar to HTWWW to be considered "so different".

I'd say that '77 for sure, followed by '75 and Summer '70 would qualify as "so different".  Pontiac '77?  9/19/70 Evening Show?  Some sort of March '75 release?  3/21 Seattle?  Compilation of the four Pacific Northwest shows?  I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at an Earls Court compilation, but would prefer something from March '75.

'80 would qualify as "so different," but not in a good way IMO :lol:  '69 would probably be my last choice other than '80, especially since we already have 10/10/69 Paris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes this release such an extraordinary gem is that on this particular night Jimmy played one of the longest and most different solos he ever played on this song.  A very special version indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recieved my EV silver today of 9 29 71 Immigrant Song.Original opinion still stands with this night and Hampton 71 being the best/heaviest Immigrant Song out there.Still not convinced 9 28 nor 9 29 will be released by EV or Page just yet.Heres to hoping!

Edited by Ocean73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did an edit with the wails from 9-28.  A couple other small edits as well and a little reverb and eq. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ledsox said:

I did an edit with the wails from 9-28.  A couple other small edits as well and a little reverb and eq. 

Wow. Intense. Well done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, ledsox said:

I did an edit with the wails from 9-28.  A couple other small edits as well and a little reverb and eq. 

If we get a whole show that sounds this good I will die

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontpokethebear3893 said:

So where is the whole show???

It's being pieced out one track at a time. Eventually, the whole thing will appear but when is anyone's guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 8:28 PM, Ocean73 said:

Recieved my EV silver today of 9 29 71 Immigrant Song.Original opinion still stands with this night and Hampton 71 being the best/heaviest Immigrant Song out there.

I will always stand by Orlando. The thundering drums and Plant screaming like a maniac is pure magic. Orlando...magic. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 5:44 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

I want a great Japan live set that this I was thinking/hoping the “different view” meant.

 You’re the first one to post exactly what I was thinking.  

The whole quote was "A different view to HTWWW or The Song Remains The Same." So, they're obviously making another movie. Jones is putting his wig on as we speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The whole quote was "A different view to HTWWW or The Song Remains The Same." So, they're obviously making another movie. Jones is putting his wig on as we speak.

Pontiac!!! :lol:  Seriously though...I'd be thrilled with a CD/DVD release of 4/30/77 if tapes and footage do in fact exist.

Edited by Bonzo_fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2018 at 12:01 PM, porgie66 said:

Just checked it out. It sounds like a work in progress if it's going to be an official release. Levels aren't quite there, especially the cymbals, which are overloaded on the old " soundboard" are too low. The guitar sounds a bit dry, not much ambience.  There are similarities to the quality of sound of BBC '71 though. I always loved the guitar solo on this night , with the cry-baby at the end. Plant's voice isn't bad but it's not great on this night. He's straining and I wonder if this wouldn't make official muster because of that. 

He could fly in vocal fixes from the 28th. It's also rumoured they recorded both tokyo shows and plants voice was in killer shape for the tokyo shows and was very strong for the first osaka show. So there are lots of performances with killer vocals from that run to choose from. Plant had similar vocal issues for the how the west was won shows as he did for the the second osaka show and page was able to smooth out the rough spots in the vocals no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 9:40 AM, duckman said:

Man, I would love a complete show in this quality, but I doubt it. The Grateful Dead employed a dedicated roadie for recording the famous Betty boards...With two Nagra open reel decks, Betty captured a lot of their shows in terrific fidelity (check out  the 77 Cornell University 2CD set from last year!). Obviously Zeppelin was a little less concerned about their live legacy and the existing tapes always seemed to me  more for evaluation purposes than for enjoyment. I could be wrong however and maybe these North American SB recordings were just a warming up for the sound tech at the mixing desk, and maybe he got better and better in changing tape reels between the songs, ...I really do hope so. On the other hand the quality of the Summer SB recordings get worse as the tour progresses: Orlando is nice, Toronto sounds OK but dull and Hampton is clipped.  As I mentioned before 1/4" tapes were not cheap, but not overly expensive either in the early seventies And for a successful band, reserving a set of  four reels per show would not be the end of the world. Let's wait and see.

Hopefully the endings of the 71 shows were recorded but maybe thoose reels just don't circulate. Maybe they are like the 73 boards. Many of the  73 boards are just the first 2 third but then there are several shows where only the last third circulates on what seems to be a separate reel. Orlando seems to have alot more cuts in it then other  zeppelin boards do. Most of them seem to be complete untill the tapes run out. They only way we will know for sure will be  when more 71 boards start to circulate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 12:28 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I will always stand by Orlando. The thundering drums and Plant screaming like a maniac is pure magic. Orlando...magic. Sorry.

There is a certain wild sounding quality to plants voice  during thoose  August and first week of September shows. That is not quite there on the later u.s September shows like hampton.  It has less of That gravelly quality that was a trademark  of early plant.  His voice makes an impressive recovery for the japan tour. September 24th  in Tokyo is one of his strongest performances of 1971. He goes for and nails screams and high notes he had been avoiding during many of the  September shows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×