How about an acoustic reunion?

The fact is, barring a physical condition such as arthritis there is no reason to believe Jimmy cannot play or does not practice on a semi-regular basis. However if he is afraid to screw up, especially live in light of every punter nitpicking his performances from 1968 to the present, that could be one hell of a motivation NOT to have another go around. Jimmy is notorious for his nerves and stage fright so I am sure the high expectation coupled with the massive letdown should any chink in the amour be found, well, that is enough for anyone to stick to the shadows. I believe Jimmy may be too sensitive for his own good in this respect and too fearful he would ruin his reputation.

His playing from 85' - 2001' is damn fine and his playing especially from 96' - 2001' is spectacular on a consistent basis. Though the 2007 O2 was a reserved performance on Jimmy's part, it was still very good and precise. Jimmy went out on a high.

Right, Jimmy really does have many options. From a objective standpoint, Steve A. always says, look at the evidence,

and he  has pretty damning evidence Page is done. But that is painful. I just saw Blade Runner 2049, some of the soundtrack is incredible, although based on very sophisticated keyboards and serious subwoofer madness. Why

can't Page do something like this ? Well  I think a large part is nerves, particular any live thing. As a musician myself,

my first three gigs or so I was totally petrified, my hands cramped a bit, and terrified of making a mistake. I think

Page somewhere did say some of his "out of the gate" showmanship actually came about because when he was

starting a show the physical  moves took his mind off his playing to thousands. And Jimmy is very insecure, many

people who meet the "mastermind of Zep" can't believe how unwillfull and meek he can be. The Plant potential

"project" even acoustic, fans have to understand that the P/P projects basically became 95% Zep shows, and 

that's great for Jimmy, but Robert no longer can really sing those songs properly , and doesn't want to be locked

into just Zep.

• 1 month later...

Robert Plant, the guy who was in led zeppelin for a bit of his career and then didn’t want to be. 

Now he spends a lot of his time telling people how boring and lonely it was.

apparently he made some of solo records too. 

Meh 

5 hours ago, JAP said:

Robert Plant, the guy who was in led zeppelin for a bit of his career and then didn’t want to be. 

Meh 

I wonder how lonely he felt while doing a line of blow off of one groupies tits while another was polishing his knob? Poor bastard. How did he ever cope?

7 hours ago, IpMan said:

I wonder how lonely he felt while doing a line of blow off of one groupies tits while another was polishing his knob? Poor bastard. How did he ever cope?

Can’t prove any of that I’m affraid, let alone any alleged enjoyment. 

Those brief 10 years, being literally trapped in led zeppelin . I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy particularly if my enemy was an artist. I can only imagine how restrictive it would be being forced to write album after album each one more progressive than the last with 3 other master musicians at the top of their game.

He’s had to block it out and can barely remember any of the details. 

.. but don’t forget the solo records, one of them has a song on I like...... it must have slipped my mind, not sure of the title. 

16 hours ago, JAP said:

Meh 

3 hours ago, JAP said:

Those brief 10 years, being literally trapped in led zeppelin . I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy particularly if my enemy was an artist. I can only imagine how restrictive it would be being forced to write album after album each one more progressive than the last with 3 other master musicians at the top of their game.

.. but don’t forget the solo records, one of them has a song on I like...... it must have slipped my mind, not sure of the title. 

I really wouldn't take what Robert Plant says so seriously.

3 hours ago, JAP said:

:goodpost:

Yeah what was the song....? Oh I know i'll just pop down to my local B&M where I can pick up a copy of Shaken 'n' Stirred for free with a quarter of Liquorice Comfits

Plant is extremely proud of Led Zeppelin, but is tired of being asked about it in every interview he has done for the past 38 years.

So he tries to defuse the whole thing with humour, which people wrongly interpret as disrespect.

Unlike Page, Plant is objective about Zeppelin and is not scared to criticise certain aspects of the band.

I think people just need to see it for what it is.

11 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Plant is extremely proud of Led Zeppelin, but is tired of being asked about it in every interview he has done for the past 38 years.

So he tries to defuse the whole thing with humour, which people wrongly interpret as disrespect.

Unlike Page, Plant is objective about Zeppelin and is not scared to criticise certain aspects of the band.

Fair point but how do you think, let's say, Geoff Hurst reacts when in every interview he is asked about the 1966 World Cup Final? He doesn't roll his eyes and says  "err can't remember" Funny though if, as you say, " he is asked in every interview he has done on the last 38 years", says much for his solo career doesn't it? I bet like many, If I saw Plant and had the opportunity to have a chat, I would thank him for being the frontman of one of the iconic bands of my youth as opposed to being an average solo artist whose output is quite frankly dull

39 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Plant is a Zep fan not fanboy.

16 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Fair point but how do you think, let's say, Geoff Hurst reacts when in every interview he is asked about the 1966 World Cup Final? He doesn't roll his eyes and says  "err can't remember" Funny though if, as you say, " he is asked in every interview he has done on the last 38 years", says much for his solo career doesn't it? I bet like many, If I saw Plant and had the opportunity to have a chat, I would thank him for being the frontman of one of the iconic bands of my youth as opposed to being an average solo artist whose output is quite frankly dull

Fair point chillum but the comparison isn't exact because sportsmen are retired at mid-30s. Plant is still a working artist at 69, and of course he gets tired of everyone referencing him back to something that came to an end on Sept 25th 1980.

19 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Fair point chillum but the comparison isn't exact because sportsmen are retired at mid-30s. Plant is still a working artist at 69, and of course he gets tired of everyone referencing him back to something that came to an end on Sept 25th 1980.

Indeed that would make Plant 32 when it all came to an end

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I really wouldn't take what Robert Plant says so seriously.

I was imagining a conversation between two younger people that might take place 20 or so years hence, about who Robert plant was/is. 

Or how he will be remembered.

it struck me that as things stand it will be as the guy who was in led zeppelin but didn’t enjoy it, spent his remaining years trying get away from it and did a few solo records. 

I don’t think RP gives a hoot what people think by the way.

its just he appears to be distancing himself from this emense legacy rather than embracing it. 

All this “not taking it seriously” is starting to look a lot like “taking it too seriously”.

I’m sure if he just went with the flow a bit then the constant questions would be less frequent and less of an issue. 

Disclaimer: IMHO 

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I am with JAP & Chill on this point. I can understand Plant's frustrations, but he was part of an iconic band that changed the musical landscape. He does not have to gush on about it, nor does he have to dwell on it. However, it would be nice to at least say something such as, four guys made amazing music and had incredible moments live. Is that really a bridge too far? There becomes a point when sarcasm ad nauseam over the same thing becomes both lazy and boorish and Plant hit that wall about 15 years ago.

I am all for Plant and love much of his solo material, a catalogue to be proud of IMO. Plant needs to understand his musical career did not begin in 1966, then went into stasis from 68' - 81' and emerged to continue a solo career.

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yeah what was the song....? Oh I know i'll just pop down to my local B&M where I can pick up a copy of Shaken 'n' Stirred for free with a quarter of Liquorice Comfits

There’s almost a python sketch in this lot somewhere 

Picture this: 

no one is going to keep asking page if he’s going to play live again. Because he keeps saying he will but never does so nobody believes it.

everyone keeps asking plant if he will perform with  “zeppelin”. Because he says he won’t and every body believes him.

.......But hey he could have changed his mind this time, I’ll ask him again! 

I've read loads of quotes from Robert Plant in the last few years where he's very, very complimentary about Led Zeppelin.

He knows exactly how good they were, he's just bored of talking about it & I don't really blame him. Worth remembering that those last few years in the band saw him lose his son & best friend, that would sour things for anyone.

Give the guy a break & stop getting so hung up on his flippant remarks to the press.

11 hours ago, JAP said:

Can you confirm that was sarcastic?

He also probably dismisses the questions with "I can't remember" because the interviewers are looking for stories about the wild aspects of their being on the road. I can't blame him for not having any interest in sharing all that. It was so long ago - they were four young guys with the world at their feet and at a time when things were more "loose". What did anyone expect would happen. I'm sure he's not proud of it, even if at the time, it was all in fun. And by proud, I'm referring to the antics. I think he's been pretty clear about being proud of Zep's accomplishments. 

8 hours ago, Mook said:

I've read loads of quotes from Robert Plant in the last few years where he's very, very complimentary about Led Zeppelin.

He knows exactly how good they were, he's just bored of talking about it & I don't really blame him. Worth remembering that those last few years in the band saw him lose his son & best friend, that would sour things for anyone.

Give the guy a break & stop getting so hung up on his flippant remarks to the press.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head mate

Archived