LZ II Reel to Reel - The Only Way To Fly?

I've always been curious about the Zep II Reel to Reel subtitle of "The Only Way To Fly". Was this the working title of Zep II or was there an intention early on to call the LP as "The Only Way To Fly" and they changed their mind to just go with Led Zeppelin II? 

I have to admit I think "The Only Way To Fly" is a killer title for their second album. 

Thoughts? 

R-5671796-1399530894-8308.jpeg.jpg

That phrase was used in other things or promotions.  It looks like a legitimate title, maybe the word Fly could have been misinterpreted as a Drug reference and later the big wigs wanted it dropped.

Kinda like how Ed Sullivan Show wanted Jim Morrison to use not use the word Higher on TV ?

• Administrators

"The Only Way To Fly" ad/slogan actually first appeared in March 1969 (attached). As mentioned, some early copies of LZ II reel-to-reels contain the tag line on the spine only, but was then removed. I've also seen some early record store ads for LZ II mistakenly calling the album "The Only Way To Fly".

1969-03-TheOnlyWayToFly-lzcom.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 9:21 AM, sam_webmaster said:

"The Only Way To Fly" ad/slogan actually first appeared in March 1969 (attached). As mentioned, some early copies of LZ II reel-to-reels contain the tag line on the spine only, but was then removed. I've also seen some early record store ads for LZ II mistakenly calling the album "The Only Way To Fly".

1969-03-TheOnlyWayToFly-lzcom.jpg

So it's supposed to be a 3D style image, with the circle being the sun and the jagged section the ocean? When I was younger I always thought it was a zeppelin being shot out of a gun. I'd love to find a story on the design.

Archived