2018 MLB season thread

LedZeppfan1977

1 minute ago, the chase said:

Interesting.. it looks like they used a whole bunch of different names till they settled on The Dodgers.. Same franchise though..

Yeah baseball names and teams history are pretty interesting and tangled too! 

51 minutes ago, Walter said:

It’s tough when the Yankees are kicking your ass decade after decade... 😉 :lol: 

Right. Red Sox could never get past the Yankees for most of the 20th Century. Meanwhile, Yankees vs. Dodgers was a near-annual event in the 1940s-'50s. Add the ones from the '60s - '80s and there must be at least 12 World Series meetings between these two teams. It has to be the most common World Series pairing in history.

14 minutes ago, Strider said:

Right. Red Sox could never get past the Yankees for most of the 20th Century. Meanwhile, Yankees vs. Dodgers was a near-annual event in the 1940s-'50s. Add the ones from the '60s - '80s and there must be at least 12 World Series meetings between these two teams. It has to be the most common World Series pairing in history.

Yeah growing up in the 70’s/80’s the Dodgers were public enemy #2 behind the Sux!  

Its almost like the eagles/pats super bowl to me...going with dodger blue!

20 hours ago, the chase said:

No, Sorry Rick .. I just read (red) this... about 20 minutes before I read your question.. 

I would imagine in Brooklyn in 1916..  

2 what?  Did you say Yoots?

Yes Strider explains below, it was the Brooklyn Robins in 1916.  Does not count.  Never met.  But the experts say this might not be a one time deal.  Both are loaded. Imagine if the Dodgers add Harper!  

18 hours ago, Walter said:

Yeah growing up in the 70’s/80’s the Dodgers were public enemy #2 behind the Sux!  

Its almost like the eagles/pats super bowl to me...going with dodger blue!

Ah Walter!  We are on the same side.  Machado is one guy the Dodgers must listen to.  He knows this park better than anyone else on the team.   A blast off the green monster is in no way an automatic double.  Many times its the longest single in baseball. If the outfielder knows how to play  the wall, you  are  dead duck at 2nd base. GO DODGERS!!!!!!

PS, the Red Sox presence in the Series usually means plenty of drama.  Two of the most entertaining series ever were in 1975 vs the Big Red Machine and in 1986 vs the Mets.  Both times the Red Sox lost in 7 and kicked themselves after blowing a 3-1 lead vs Mets.  Buckner of course is remembered for that series.  Kind of like their Scott Norwood.  And in 75, lets not forget Carlton Fisk and his game 6 heroics.  What a series that was.  

And also in the 80s we have the "Pedro Guerrero" series.  Dodgers hammered the Yankees, loved it.  Then Pedro made OJ his best friend forever sealing his place in society

13 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yes Strider explains below, it was the Brooklyn Robins in 1916.  Does not count.  Never met.  But the experts say this might not be a one time deal.  Both are loaded. Imagine if the Dodgers add Harper!  

I don't see Harper going to the Dodgers.

Red Sox fans are going to be hurling invectives at Manny Machado and Red Sox pitchers might be hurling something worse at his head. Machado is the guy who knocked out Dustin Pedroia with a questionable slide last year and Red Sox Nation has not forgotten.

Fenway Park is the oldest park in MLB. Dodger Stadium is third oldest. Two classic franchises meeting head-to-head. Boston vs. L.A. has provided heaps and heaps of thrills and drama in the NBA. I hope the same goes for the World Series.

8 minutes ago, Strider said:

I don't see Harper going to the Dodgers.

Red Sox fans are going to be hurling invectives at Manny Machado and Red Sox pitchers might be hurling something worse at his head. Machado is the guy who knocked out Dustin Pedroia with a questionable slide last year and Red Sox Nation has not forgotten.

Fenway Park is the oldest park in MLB. Dodger Stadium is third oldest. Two classic franchises meeting head-to-head. Boston vs. L.A. has provided heaps and heaps of thrills and drama in the NBA. I hope the same goes for the World Series.

I am sure it will be great Sean.  I just hope the Dodgers and Manny come out on top.  Besides, if Sale wants to throw at Manny he risks a suspension.

Two missed catch's though not ruled errors have killed the Dodgers in this game.  I do not know why he brought Wood in but he just fucking killed this game.  Dodgers all in all were able to hit Sale and their pitching but the blown outs were the killers if they dont pull off a huge rally.   Only one game.  I have faith in this team. 

Will Buck Showalter get hired again? Is there a baseball team left that has not been taken over by the sabermetrics crowd? Buck is not a sabermetrics guy, so the opportunities may be slim for him in the current baseball climate.

Ex-Yankee manager Joe Girardi is also still jobless. But I gotta figure Girardi gets hired before Showalter.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Strider said:

Not sure what to make of Brad Asmus being hired as Angel manager. Long-time Detroit guy. What do you remember about him, Bong-Man? Is he old school or a sabermetrics guy?

I never warmed to him as a player or manager.   When he caught for us, I thought he was a bit of a cry baby.  When he became Manager he didn't have a clue.  Torii Hunter seemed to be managing the team for the first few months.  I always thought he was an odd choice at the time...a rookie manager for a veteran team.  He never seemed to ever get angry...he just pouts.  I never saw him as any kind of motivator either.  On the other hand, he isn't the first baseball manager to struggle at his first job, and following an old-school guy like Jim Leyland probably wasn't an easy task.  I think he's better suited for a younger team trying to develop...which the Angels probably are at this point.        

One benefit to the games moving to L.A. is that we actually get to see some daytime baseball. Back east it is already dark by the time the games start.

Three games in and no sign of that annoying guy in the orange visor and Marlin jersey. Guess WS tickets were a little out of his price range.

13 minutes ago, redrum said:

18 innings and the bums.......

What a crazy game, eh? Sorry I dropped texting you...my phone battery died.

I won't say it is the greatest game I ever saw but it sure is the longest. Dodgers needed that win more than the Red Sox.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

What a crazy game, eh? Sorry I dropped texting you...my phone battery died.

I won't say it is the greatest game I ever saw but it sure is the longest. Dodgers needed that win more than the Red Sox.

I am so damn relieved they won.  Now I like the Dodgers on the pitching side of things big time. The Red Sox gambled and lost using Price and Eovoldi for those innings.  Now they will have to send an erratic starter out there today, E Rodriguez.  And their bullpen is pure shit.  I will take Jansen over any of them, even though he should have ended the game much sooner. GO DODGERs!!!!!  Cody Bellinger is a hell of a player and so is Manny Machado.  They are going to have a say in this.

PS, so much for your picks King Shitso.  

*** WORLD SERIES SPOILER ALERT BELOW ***

Game 4. Red Sox just took an 8 - 4 lead in the top of the ninth against the Dodgers. I get that the Dodgers have collapsed after the seventh inning tonight but to see all those Dodgers fans get up and start making their way to the parking lot -- LA fans are easily the most fickle fans in America.

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

PS, so much for your picks King Shitso.  

Really?  How old are you?  

If you want to play that game, your 2018 Baltimore Orioles lost more games this season in the history of Baseball.  

I will not sink to your level of extremely rude name calling.

Again, really?

Edited to add:  I should point out that I don't care what you call me (or anyone else), it is just the fact rhat you feel the need to say/post really stupid shit to someone you have never me.

Archived