Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
LedZeppfan1977

2018 MLB season thread

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

I thought going to Cincy would be a good tonic for getting swept by the Rockies, but it is what it is...

 

 

<_<

At least the Mets are entertaining in their ineptitude. I mean, come on...when was the last time you saw a team bat out of order? In the top of the 1st inning, no less! :lol:

Not even my little league team did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bambino Curse still haunts Boston.

image.png.cad0aeff2df40810aa9f11a5d5e702c2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is MLB going to embarrass itself by keeping the Miami team afloat? Miami doesn't deserve a baseball team. It isn't a baseball town. Attendance has always been terrible, even when they had a good team.

What Derek Jeter and his ownership group have done to the Marlins is predictable. If there was a living breathing commissioner, the sale to that ownership group should never have happened.

But then, baseball should never have expanded to Miami in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Strider said:

How long is MLB going to embarrass itself by keeping the Miami team afloat? Miami doesn't deserve a baseball team. It isn't a baseball town. Attendance has always been terrible, even when they had a good team.

What Derek Jeter and his ownership group have done to the Marlins is predictable. If there was a living breathing commissioner, the sale to that ownership group should never have happened.

But then, baseball should never have expanded to Miami in the first place. 

I'm surprised to hear that Miami is not a baseball town given the very high Latino population and South America's enfatuation with baseball, coupled with all the elderly folk in Florida who also I would've presumed would enjoy afternoons at the ballpark.

Iguess the latter aren't making home in Miami... Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th place, playing the dreaded Phillies tonight, but Chris Sale is pitching, so I'll just watch the Sawx, anyway. Way too early to have a panic attack about the Mets....

 

 

🤨

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

I'm surprised to hear that Miami is not a baseball town given the very high Latino population and South America's enfatuation with baseball, coupled with all the elderly folk in Florida who also I would've presumed would enjoy afternoons at the ballpark.

Iguess the latter aren't making home in Miami... Lol

It's mostly Cubans in Miami than Latinos and South Americans. The old people seem to prefer golf to baseball. Miami is a golf city more than a baseball city.

The other thing that hurts MLB in Florida is that for decades people could go to spring training games and see their favourite players for a pittance compared to regular season prices.

Also, it's cooler in the spring. By the time the summer rolls around it is brutally hot and people would rather cool off at the beach than sit in the hot sun at a ballpark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

4th place, playing the dreaded Phillies tonight, but Chris Sale is pitching, so I'll just watch the Sawx, anyway. Way too early to have a panic attack about the Mets....

 

 

🤨

Don't they need to figure out how to bat in order anyway? 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Yeah, I think I missed that game anyway, but whatever they did or didn't do, it must've been funny.  

 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Yeah, I think I missed that game anyway, but whatever they did or didn't do, it must've been funny.  

 

:D

It was! :D

The fans in the stadium and the announcers were less than pleased, but c'est la vie...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Strider said:

It's mostly Cubans in Miami than Latinos and South Americans. The old people seem to prefer golf to baseball. Miami is a golf city more than a baseball city.

The other thing that hurts MLB in Florida is that for decades people could go to spring training games and see their favourite players for a pittance compared to regular season prices.

Also, it's cooler in the spring. By the time the summer rolls around it is brutally hot and people would rather cool off at the beach than sit in the hot sun at a ballpark.

Miami is a terrible sports town.  Too much else to do...or so I've heard.  That said, the ballpark has a roof, so it's quite comfy in there on a hot day.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the games there since I'm not fond of indoor stadiums.  But that one works.  Not that anyone who lives there cares...  

 

Os win!!  The weather was perfect.  The bobblehead I got is adorable!  And one of my imaginary friends from another board was there!!  All in all, a wonderful evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ebk said:

Os win!!  The weather was perfect.  The bobblehead I got is adorable!  And one of my imaginary friends from another board was there!!  All in all, a wonderful evening.

Very nice to hear! 😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, Strider said:

How long is MLB going to embarrass itself by keeping the Miami team afloat? Miami doesn't deserve a baseball team. It isn't a baseball town. Attendance has always been terrible, even when they had a good team.

What Derek Jeter and his ownership group have done to the Marlins is predictable. If there was a living breathing commissioner, the sale to that ownership group should never have happened.

But then, baseball should never have expanded to Miami in the first place. 

Makes sense Strider.  I think a lot of it has to do with the poor fan levels at this ballpark.  Just too hot and humid in Miami during the prime baseball months..  Not all to do with it but certainly in part.  That's why TB is smarter with a domed stadium.  Every few years it's just a complete sell off with the Marlins.  I guess it's like losing money on the stock market and you feel it's time to sell most of it off before you lose everything. 

 

This team puzzles me in their management and can't figure it out and where they are headed or what they want to accomplish?

Being a big Mets fan, I feel the same way about them as well, but not nearly as much? You wonder some times what they do, which makes no sense and then they make a move which surprises you in such a great way!

 

What do you think Paul from the "Orange State"  (being a core and knowledgeable Mets fan? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^^ I'm not sure what exactly you're asking about--the Marlins or the Mets? Apparently, even the Fins don't draw great every home game; some shit I've heard about traveling to the stadium. The Rays don't draw much either; but they have a dump for a stadium anyway.

 

As for the Mets, 4th place might be a bad place to be? No need to go apeshit, unless the Braves or Phils are really this good; then I might go into the toilet...

 

Edited by paul carruthers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ I'm not sure what exactly you're asking about--the Marlins or the Mets? Apparently, even the Fins don't draw great every home game; some shit I've heard about traveling to the stadium. The Rays don't draw much either; but they have a dump for a stadium anyway.

 

As for the Mets, 4th place might be a bad place to be? No need to go apeshit, unless the Braves or Phils are really this good; then I might go into the toilet...

 

I guess I mean that it seems that the Mets don't know what direction they are going in by the decisions they make.  Mostly from ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Well, getting our asses handed to us by the Rockies and Reds did sting; I'm not sure what to do--except stating the obvious--pitching and maybe more thump in the lineup? 

Today's game pretty good,s o far...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LA Dodgers have lost 8 of their last 10, getting swept by the Reds and bested in a series by the Padres, lost to the Marlins last night. Yikes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yankees are gellin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paplbojo said:

LA Dodgers have lost 8 of their last 10, getting swept by the Reds and bested in a series by the Padres, lost to the Marlins last night. Yikes!

I think that it is (so far) ironic that the Dodgers were in the World Series last year and up til today are 16-25.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, rather than rail about the Mets, again, I'll just state that the Houston/Anaheim race may be the best thing in MLB right now. Whoever loses the division gets the WC; so that will soothe my pain. 

Either that or the Dodgers will finally put a rabbit out of their ass and win the Series...

 

🤨

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha !....I figured I wouldn't have anything to post on a baseball thread for about 5 years.  Turns out the Tigers are in the shittiest division in baseball and we're far from its' worst team (so far).  We're actually fun to watch !  We might only lose 90 games as opposed to 110.  :wacko:   Why the Tigers didn't hire Ron Gardenhire instead of Brad Ausmus when we were still contending is beyond me.  He makes good decisions and runs a clean clubhouse.  I like !   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, rather than rail about the Mets, again, I'll just state that the Houston/Anaheim race may be the best thing in MLB right now. Whoever loses the division gets the WC; so that will soothe my pain. 

 

Aren't you forgetting the Red Sox-Yankees dogfight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×