Best FLAC to WAV converter for Mac?

ForEvermore

(Webmaster - if there is a better, existing place to put this thread than this new one I'm creating, please send it to where you think it should go. Just let me know where you are relocating it, if you do! :D

OK, I am taking the plunge in burning shows to CD for my listening pleasure. Due to this magnificent site, there is no end to helpful people who can lead a person to appropriate sources. However, now I need help in converting files to burn them onto CD.

I have a Macbook and the files I have are FLAC. iTunes, tragically, does not have the functionality to convert FLAC to WAV.

So, in the board's opinion, what are the best FLAC to WAV converters for Mac, preferably free of charge? Thanks in advance!

XLD, hands down:

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/

It's free, easy to use, and will convert pretty much any audio file format to any other audio file format. It also burns CDs, so you can just load up your FLAC files and burn them to CD from XLD without converting them to WAV (or anything else) first.

XLD also can convert the files so you can put them in iTunes, and then burn them from there. (Though for iTunes you'll be better off converting them to Apple Lossless than to WAV - smaller file size, and better tagging/artwork functionality.)

XLD also can rip CDs, and it can do so securely, guaranteeing 100% bit-accurate rips (or notifying you when there's an error), something iTunes cannot do.

Hope this helps!

I like Trader's little Helper.  It is easy to use, converts many formats, has the "drag and drop" feature I like, and will generate checksum files for the hardcores.  And it's free

However, you can't queue up a bunch of tasks at once and (as far as I know) it only works with Windows.

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

XLD, hands down:

It's free, easy to use, and will convert pretty much any audio file format to any other audio file format. It also burns CDs, so you can just load up your FLAC files and burn them to CD from XLD without converting them to WAV (or anything else) first.

XLD also can convert the files so you can put them in iTunes, and then burn them from there. (Though for iTunes you'll be better off converting them to Apple Lossless than to WAV - smaller file size, and better tagging/artwork functionality.)

XLD also can rip CDs, and it can do so securely, guaranteeing 100% bit-accurate rips (or notifying you when there's an error), something iTunes cannot do.

Hope this helps!

Seconded. XLD is really good.

2 hours ago, chef free said:

I like Trader's little Helper.  It is easy to use, converts many formats, has the "drag and drop" feature I like, and will generate checksum files for the hardcores.  And it's free

However, you can't queue up a bunch of tasks at once and (as far as I know) it only works with Windows.

Yes - if I were still using a PC, I'm very experienced with TLH. However, I have always preferred Macs, I have a good Macbook now, and I'm not going back! :)

(Those who do use PCs, I can second that TLH is a great program.)

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

XLD, hands down:

Hope this helps!

It does - thank you! :)

13 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Seconded. XLD is really good.

...and thank you! :)

Ok, everyone here on-thread and off (you know who you are)...you are officially awesome! B)

It took me a little bit of time to figure things out, but I am now the proud owner of the "Listen To This Eddie" show on 3 CDs that I made myself, thanks to all of you! :D

XLD is in fact very good and very easy to use - even more, the XLD file conversion was really the easiest part of the process. If there are any Mac users who are thinking of starting to get boots, I can now also recommend XLD. (When I saw it was from Sourceforge, that made me feel good right off the bat - if I remember correctly, they are the firm who came up with FLAC originally.)

Thanks again, everyone!

15 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

(Webmaster - if there is a better, existing place to put this thread than this new one I'm creating, please send it to where you think it should go. Just let me know where you are relocating it, if you do! :D

...and I see that you have! :D

My humblest apologies for putting the thread in the wrong section.

Thanks again, everyone, for helping a new show collector become a show collector!

3 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I am in need of good CD burning software. I hate the kind of burning software iTunes uses, as the songs never seem to be read in properly or I hear so much of static! :wacko: 

It looks like I've stopped by, at the right thread! :) 

You did! :)

XLD, as the others have said and I concur, is really good.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 7:19 AM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I am in need of good CD burning software. I hate the kid of burning software iTunes uses, as the songs never seem to be read in properly or I hear so much of static! :wacko: 

It looks like I've stopped by, at the right thread! :) 

That’s the problem I had last week I burned a Zep show a member on here sent me and iTunes  burned the songs all out of order!

• 8 months later...

I would recommend DumpMedia. This tool supports numerous formats such as MP4, AVI, FLV, AAC, AC3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, and a lot more. More importantly, I didn’t find any quality loss.

It is easy to use. You can follow the below steps to convert files:

Step 1: Ensure that DumpMedia Video Converter would be downloaded and installed on your Windows or Mac computers.

Step 2: Launch the program and click the “Add files” button to select the desired file to convert. You can as well drag and drop the files directly from the location to the application.

Step 3: Click the “Convert all tasks to” button to select the format wanted.

Step 4: Once done, choose the destination folder wherein the output would be saved.

Step 5: Click the “Convert” button to begin with the conversion process.

• 4 months later...