top 5 favorite No Quarters

Boogie Chillen 82

On 2/21/2018 at 8:37 AM, John M said:

It usually depends on which ones I have listened to lately because there are so many great versions.  I cannot compare the versions across tours - they are too different.

I think that the original TSRTS version will always be special to me.

For 1975 one I have always gone back to is 3/27/75.  The interplay during the jam is special.

For 1977 it is toss up between June 21 and June 23.

Holy cow that is an Amazing version of NO QUARTER. WOW !!!

I always thought NQ was kinda the bathroom break song for the 1977 tour. Because the Seattle 1973 is incredible. No disrespect to those that like the NQ 1977 versions, in my opinion they could have cut the length of NQ and play more tracks off Presence, imagine   hearing "Hot's on for No where"  "candy store Rock". 

19 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I don't know why, but i never realized how goddamn good this is. The sound is great and it's really an epic performance of this song all around. Page is in the zone, from beginning to end

Thanks for reminding me about this one.  Great version.  I don't usually think of 1979 when I think of No Quarter.  

• 11 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 1:49 AM, strombringer101 said:

in my opinion they could have cut the length of NQ and play more tracks off Presence, imagine   hearing "Hot's on for No where"  "candy store Rock".

I'd rather hear another 5 minutes of NQ than Candy Story Rock, that's for sure. I'm learning not to hate that song nowadays, but it's a work in progress. Your point is taken though; it would have been okay if they shortened NQ a bit so we could hear some other cool songs. I would like to have heard The Rover and Houses of the Holy in 75-77. I could see them alternating NQ with In the Light too.

My top 5 No Quarters as of today:

1. TSRTS
2. 2-14-75
3. 5-18-75
4. 3-27-75
5. 3-21-75

On 6/9/2018 at 1:49 AM, strombringer101 said:

Holy cow that is an Amazing version of NO QUARTER. WOW !!!

I always thought NQ was kinda the bathroom break song for the 1977 tour. Because the Seattle 1973 is incredible. No disrespect to those that like the NQ 1977 versions, in my opinion they could have cut the length of NQ and play more tracks off Presence, imagine   hearing "Hot's on for No where"  "candy store Rock". 

Yep, 3/37/75 is an amazing one.  

I love the good 1977 ones but I always skip the brief bluesy part of the jam and go right to the 2nd half.   If you skip that part the 1977 versions are pretty awesome too.  Try it...

Edited by Sticks of Fire

With a few exceptions, I pretty much like all versions of the song.  But #1 for me is The Song Remains The Same version.

Occasionally I get a bit tired of the digressions into other songs that we hear mid way through live versions of NQ, not always, just sometimes.  But you don't get that with TSRTS version.  And the keyboards and guitar are just perfect.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:37 AM, John M said:

It usually depends on which ones I have listened to lately because there are so many great versions.  I cannot compare the versions across tours - they are too different.

I think that the original TSRTS version will always be special to me.

For 1975 one I have always gone back to is 3/27/75.  The interplay during the jam is special.

For 1977 it is toss up between June 21 and June 23.

For 3-27-75, I love how it seems like the jam is coming to a climax (around the 21 minute mark on my recording) and then it keeps going in a very tight but loose groove. 

On 5/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

I love the good 1977 ones but I always skip the brief bluesy part of the jam and go right to the 2nd half.  

I can see that, as others have commented in other threads, the blues/boogie jams did not fit well with the overall feel of NQ.  I like those jams though because they are so different, unexpected, and fun.  NQ is always special, and so different from tour to tour.  In 75 there was typically a long piano/drums jam in a jazzy, funky mode before the guitar came in.  For 1977 the piano only section was one that evolved from late 19th century Romantic style to early 20th century then to jazz, then boogie-woogie when Bonham and Page entered together.  It did change the mood entirely, but when it was done well it was very cool.    I even like when they play Nutrocker even that was over the top crazy, but again, a nice fun bit of levity.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, John M said:

I can see that, as others have commented in other threads, the blues/boogie jams did not fit well with the overall feel of NQ.  I like those jams though because they are so different, unexpected, and fun.  NQ is always special, and so different from tour to tour.  In 75 there was typically a long piano/drums jam in a jazzy, funky mode before the guitar came in.  For 1977 the piano only section was one that evolved from late 19th century Romantic style to early 20th century then to jazz, then boogie-woogie when Bonham and Page entered together.  It did change the mood entirely, but when it was done well it was very cool.    I even like when they play Nutrocker even that was over the top crazy, but again, a nice fun bit of levity.

JPJ REALLY like his Rachmaninoff in 77'.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:29 PM, pujols05 said:

Yes, this is hard. I have 17 live versions in iTunes marked 5 stars. 

1. 5-24-75. For me, this one will never be topped. 
  2. 3-27-75
  3. 2-12-75
  4. Original TSRTS
  5. 3-3-75

Nice to see mention of the Ft Worth version, a real gem.  St Louis from the first leg in '75 is also sublime.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Nice to see mention of the Ft Worth version, a real gem.  St Louis from the first leg in '75 is also sublime.

As my list shows, I do dig the '75 versions. There are many great ones. My top 10 would probably be 9 from '75 and the original version from TSRTS. :)

5 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Because of the Strat?

Because the way Jimmy PLAYS with the strat. I just think the way he approaches the song with the Strat is better overall and his soloing is just out of this world. Funny as I am listening to the 18th right now. The tone is completely different, not as thick but brighter. If Zep had two guitars live on this song (rhythm on LP and lead on Strat) it would have been amazing. Having the thick tone of the LP for the riffing (heavy and ominous) and the strat for the soloing with the LP complementing would have been something.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Because the way Jimmy PLAYS with the strat. I just think the way he approaches the song with the Strat is better overall and his soloing is just out of this world. Funny as I am listening to the 18th right now. The tone is completely different, not as thick but brighter. If Zep had two guitars live on this song (rhythm on LP and lead on Strat) it would have been amazing. Having the thick tone of the LP for the riffing (heavy and ominous) and the strat for the soloing with the LP complementing would have been something.

Fair enough.  Yeah, that definitely would have been cool!

Listening/watching my #1 all time No Quarter - May 24, 1975

Bought the vinyl back in the 80’s. So many memories listening to this version over the years, with friends, Mrs W, and Junior.   

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Listening/watching my #1 all time No Quarter - May 24, 1975

Bought the vinyl back in the 80’s. So many memories listening to this version over the years, with friends, Mrs W, and Junior.   

me too...spring 1976 and a few months before the release of "The Song Remains The Same", I grabbed this nice looking LP called 'Earl's Court' in a Dutch record store. Eager to hear Kashmir live, the big surprise of course was this twenty minute rendition of No Quarter. I love this version (and I think Jimmy also has a soft spot for the Earls Court performance).

p1030032_1.jpg

7 hours ago, duckman said:

me too...spring 1976 and a few months before the release of "The Song Remains The Same", I grabbed this nice looking LP called 'Earl's Court' in a Dutch record store. Eager to hear Kashmir live, the big surprise of course was this twenty minute rendition of No Quarter. I love this version (and I think Jimmy also has a soft spot for the Earls Court performance).

p1030032_1.jpg

Kids in bed. Missus away in Sydney. Log fire 🔥 on the go. Kicking back in the couch. Feet up. Decided to give this a spin. It’s great 

6-23-77 #1 it’s just the most cohesive sprawling version ever pure magic start to finish 

TSRTS original LP version, I know it’s edited but I don’t give a F one of Jimmy’s all time best solos hands down

7-24-79  excellent stripped down late era version with killer solos and fills by Bonzo A+

5-18-75 weird expressive solo from Page excellent all around

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Top for me is 7/28/73...

then in no particular order

Seattle 73 ( particularly sinister sounding version) 

Detroit 73

Earl's Court 5/18/75 ( the best by far of 75 IMO) 

Copenhagen 7/24/79

Not at all a fan of 77 versions...rambling , sloppy playing by Page and annoying forays that are incongruous to the vibe of the song. 

7 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Top for me is 7/28/73...

then in no particular order

Seattle 73 ( particularly sinister sounding version) 

Detroit 73

Earl's Court 5/18/75 ( the best by far of 75 IMO) 

Copenhagen 7/24/79

Not at all a fan of 77 versions...rambling , sloppy playing by Page and annoying forays that are incongruous to the vibe of the song. 

Seattle 73 is killer