Dumb question regarding the EC footage

gibsonfan159

6 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I'm always struck by how cavernous EC looks in this picture.  Could even people in the front-row seats see the band?  They look to be very far from the actual stage.

I was about halfway down the side, and although I would have preferred to be closer it was still a good view. 

31 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Thank you. I knew I had seen pics of the screen before, but didn't realize it was up that high. Too bad they didn't go with a wider, theatrical screen.

We have to cut them some slack, it was 75' and most, if not all of these effects were brand new. Zeppelin was one of, if not the first band to utilize effects such as lasers and video screens in a live show. The punters were lucky they did not get a 20" TV mounted on a stand above the stage or a collage of 20" TV's like Warhol used to do at the time.

I agree though, a nice wide screen would have been amazing but that screen was amazingly massive for it's time...it's even pretty big by today's standards.

18 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Thank you. I knew I had seen pics of the screen before, but didn't realize it was up that high. Too bad they didn't go with a wider, theatrical screen.

What a barn that place is. it looks like free festival, flat bed lorry type of set up

3 hours ago, paplbojo said:

How loud was it? Lol just wondering...

Very loud! I especially remember Jimmy Pages violin bow solo in Dazed & Confused, the high notes were painful! John Bonhams drums sounded unbelievable, it was as if he was trying to hammer them through the stage, you seemed to feel the reverberation under the stage, have never felt that anywhere since.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Very loud! I especially remember Jimmy Pages violin bow solo in Dazed & Confused, the high notes were painful! John Bonhams drums sounded unbelievable, it was as if he was trying to hammer them through the stage, you seemed to feel the reverberation under the stage, have never felt that anywhere since.

Unbelievable

What was JPJ's bass like? It's so poorly documented on bootlegs (and officials for that case). 

1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

Unbelievable

What was JPJ's bass like? It's so poorly documented on bootlegs (and officials for that case). 

To be honest I can't really remember, he was always a bassist that fit in so well with the band and the music that you didnt really notice unless it was the opening to Dazed & Confused.

• 5 months later...

Archived