Scared Straight 1978 Led Zep tee

Tony Harden

Hello.  I am begging for help from the board and all help would be appreciated.

In the original Scared Straight from 1978 juvenile offenders were taken into a maximum security New Jersey prison to try to literally scare the young offenders straight.

One of the juvenile offenders was wearing a Led Zeppelin tee.  This film was from 1978 and so this would make the tee an original Led Zeppelin tee; and by original I mean before Bonzo died.

I am going to try to post a ling to Scared Straight on Youtube and give a stopping point that has one of the better views of the Led Zeppelin tee. 

Does anybody recognize the design of this tee?  All help would be appreciated.  Stop the movie at 0:15 time.

Looking into it. I don't think they had any merchandise licensing agreements in 1978, aside from official tour merchandise but it doesn't seem to be official. My hunch is it's a bootleg t-shirt that was sold at the Madison Square Garden concerts in New York in June 1977.

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Looking into it. I don't think they had any merchandise licensing agreements in 1978, aside from official tour merchandise but it doesn't seem to be official. My hunch is it's a bootleg t-shirt that was sold at the Madison Square Garden concerts in New York in June 1977.

OK.  A bootleg t-shirt?  You learn something new everyday.  I know how Zep felt about bootleg recordings and I can't imagine them being any lighter on bootleg anything.

I know this was kind of an off the wall post.  I hope somebody else kind of found it interesting.

2 hours ago, Tony Harden said:

OK.  A bootleg t-shirt?  You learn something new everyday.  I know how Zep felt about bootleg recordings and I can't imagine them being any lighter on bootleg anything.

I know this was kind of an off the wall post.  I hope somebody else kind of found it interesting.

It's difficult to prevent bootlegging inside the venue, virtually impossible to prevent it in the streets. We know for a fact bootleg merchandise was sold at the 1979 Knebworth Festival, and there are other examples from the years prior. Sometimes it's just a one-off, like a home made t-shirt, but this one seems to be a bit more mass produced. Bootleg merchandise was sold on their solo tours too.  

On 2/20/2018 at 4:59 PM, Tony Harden said:

Practically every concert I have been to at the Forum had guys wandering the parking lots and Prairie and Manchester hawking bootleg shirts before and after the concert. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Tony Harden said:

Hi Tony,

Here you go.  $10.00 Buy it now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Led-Zeppelin-T-Shirt-1977-Tour-Youth-Size-Black/302643649289?hash=item4676f79b09:g:N-UAAOSwWWNZ0XTt

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I see these and wonder, does anyone actually pay these But It Now prices??? Fucking nonsense. I have a 1980 bootleg t-shirt that I bought back then which has a memorial to Bonzo on the back. It's horribly done, the image on the front is dreadful...Plant looks like his face is stretched out like Gloria Vanderbilt. I have seen identical ones on eBay for $300 -$700 . 😂  Fucking joke. 

Archived