Led Zeppelin will release a limited edition 7” single featuring 2 previously unheard mixes: “Sunset Sound Mix” of “Rock And Roll” and “Olympic Studios Mix” of “Friends.”

sam_webmaster

So with this record store day release I now have 3 versions of friends. But how do they relate to each other?

Friend (RSD) - recorded at headly grange and then mixed at Olympic indeed this is called the Olympic studio mix

Friends (Companion audio) - in the Zeppelin III SDBS book under recording information it suggests that this version was recorded at Olympic and not headly is this correct? If so can I assume this was also mixed at Olympic?

Friends (Album) - now I’m not sure on this one.  Recorded and mixed at headly, Olympic or Island? But what combination?

Not sure if I’m asking the right questions here? Any thoughts?

Led Zeppelin Score Chart Topping Hit With RSD Release

05-01-2018

Led Zeppelin have topped the UK Vinyl Singles Chart with their debut Record Store Day release. The band's limited edition 7" single featuring previously unheard mixes of "Rock And Roll" and "Friends" landed at No. 1 on the chart ahead of tunes by David Bowie, U2 and Jimi Hendrix, among others as issued as part of the April 21 event celebrating the culture of independent record stores.

The previously unreleased version of "Rock And Roll" provides an additional peek into the fabled 1971 "Sunset Sound Mixes" of "Led Zeppelin IV". Only two previous "Sunset Sound Mixes" have been released, the first being the version of "When The Levee Breaks" on the original album and the second the "Stairway To Heaven" mix that debuted on the 2014 deluxe edition reissue of the band's fourth record.

The previously unheard "Olympic Studios Mix" of "Friends" is a stripped-down version without the orchestration that was included of the final mix that appeared on 1970's "Led Zeppelin III."

http://www.antimusic.com/news/18/May/02Led_Zeppelin_Score_Chart_Topping_Hit_With_RSD_Release.shtml

For those of you that never had a chance to purchase a copy.... some participating RSD outlets are getting in more copies. Just check with your local record shop. I paid $14.5 CAD for mine including shipping. My brother in law bough his locally for $10.98 CAD.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:52 AM, zeplz71 said:

Led Zeppelin Score Chart Topping Hit With RSD Release

05-01-2018

Led Zeppelin have topped the UK Vinyl Singles Chart with their debut Record Store Day release. The band's limited edition 7" single featuring previously unheard mixes of "Rock And Roll" and "Friends" landed at No. 1 on the chart ahead of tunes by David Bowie, U2 and Jimi Hendrix, among others as issued as part of the April 21 event celebrating the culture of independent record stores.

The previously unreleased version of "Rock And Roll" provides an additional peek into the fabled 1971 "Sunset Sound Mixes" of "Led Zeppelin IV". Only two previous "Sunset Sound Mixes" have been released, the first being the version of "When The Levee Breaks" on the original album and the second the "Stairway To Heaven" mix that debuted on the 2014 deluxe edition reissue of the band's fourth record.

The previously unheard "Olympic Studios Mix" of "Friends" is a stripped-down version without the orchestration that was included of the final mix that appeared on 1970's "Led Zeppelin III."

http://www.antimusic.com/news/18/May/02Led_Zeppelin_Score_Chart_Topping_Hit_With_RSD_Release.shtml

It warms the cockles.

16 hours ago, middlezep said:

For $25 i got a sealed brand new copy with both record label and record store day labels. Its a nice collectors piece, thanks for the info sharing above. 

What do you mean? Are there are two different labels?

Tnx

5 hours ago, Oleg said:

Tnx

Pretty sure is referring to the two stickers on the shrink wrap. http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/25330-led-zeppelin-will-release-a-limited-edition-7”-single-featuring-2-previously-unheard-mixes-“sunset-sound-mix”-of-“rock-and-roll”-and-“olympic-studios-mix”-of-“friends”/?do=findComment&comment=920035

To anyone getting one of these 45s, if you like to keep the shrink wrap (with the stickers) in tact around the cover, don't make the mistake I made and try to splice it open from the side, splice the shrink wrap open from the top! Cant believe I did that after seeing all the pictures of the way the 45 comes out of the cover from the top! Oh well, no biggie.

28279048_10159848419215276_8563972484601123544_n.thumb.jpg.415ff66e18bf12daaec5a0feb603b56d.jpg.e0200f84bddeddda6c83c1825e956c49.jpg

On 5/8/2018 at 4:41 PM, Oleg said:

Tnx

There is a official silver record store day sticker, with a perforated stamp border and a yellow atlantic records sticker, with the song info. I am just gonna look  at it and leave it a collectors piece. Just the thought of this release is a very nice thing. Thank you Jimmy 

• 2 weeks later...

Seller's name : revolution_vinyl     Location : New Hampshire USA

$15 US including shipping, here: 3 left as of now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Led-Zepplelin-7-RSD-release-2018/222975098718?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D98868a3705eb40bea35101db2781049c%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222975098718%26itm%3D222975098718&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aaa8ad697-5b35-11 Name revolution_vinyl e8-9dcd-74dbd1804a06%7Cparentrq%3A774916781630ab446bf3e3d6fffd28b6%7Ciid%3A1

IMG_7333.JPG

That's a great deal! I got mine from Amazon Canada because it was the best deal at the time I ordered it. Cost me about $19US including shipping, and I'm happy enough with that price. Mine arrived yesterday in great shape, with both stickers.

And yes, I slit the shrinkwrap from the top. 😀

Quick tip RE slicing open the shrink, to avoid damaging the top edges of the sleeve: and the record: use an Xacto knife (or whatever) to make a very small cut(s) wherever there is a natural air gap at the top of the sleeve. Then use a duller, non-damaging thin item like a guitar pick to extend the small slit the full width of the top.

• Administrators

Tracks from Led Zeppelin and Noel Gallagher have climbed the UK Vinyl Singles Chart, with Rock & Roll now back to number one.

Gallagher is up one place with It’s A Beautiful World, while Hookworms are the sole Top 10 new entry courtesy of Medicine Cabinet.

Reflecting the surge in popularity of the traditional format, dedicated vinyl album and singles charts were launched by the Official Charts Company in 2016 with the singles chart compiled from sales of 7″ and 12″ records.

UK Vinyl Singles Chart, Top 20:

1 – Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
2 – Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – It’s A Beautiful World
3 – Wolf Alice – Space & Time
4 – Frightened Rabbit – Roadless
5 – David Bowie – Let’s Dance
6 – (new) Hookworms – Medicine Cabinet
7 – Rammstein – Ich Tu Dir Weh
8 – Rammstein – Haifisch
9 – Pale Waves – New Year’s Eve
10 – Morrissey – My Love I’d Do Anything For You
11 – Bicep – Opal
12 – Wolf Alice – You’re A Germ
13 – Sparks – You Earned The Right To Be A Dick
14 – Mohawks – The Champ
15 – Rag N Bone Man – Don’t Set The World On Fire
16 – (new) Frightened Rabbit – Nothing Like You
17 – (new) Mount Kimbie – Four Years And One Day
18 – Florence & The Machine – Sky Full Of Song
19 – Richard Hawley – Funny Cow
20 – Jimi Hendrix – Mannish Boy

http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2018/05/led-zeppelin-noel-gallagher-tracks-climb-on-uk-vinyl-singles-chart/

• 4 weeks later...

Well its certainly true what the above poster said that LZ is no top 40 or singles type band.  I remember Stairway being played on top 40 radio back in the day.  But Dyer Maker was one of their biggest top 40 singles. It was the song that many casual fans loved.  

Archived