Jason Bonham Asked to Change Band Name to "LZ Evening"

Tadpole in a Jar

Jason says he had to change the name of his tribute band to "Led Zeppelin Evening" at the request of Zeppelin. They're apparently planning to use "Evening" for something later this year (maybe that acoustic guitar and tabla drum reunion :shifty:).

He's been using "Led Zeppelin Experience" since 2010 and no one had a problem. They couldn't come up with another word? Maybe I'm on my own island, but does anyone else think this seems a bit mean, unnecessary, and not a good PR move?

He went with Evening because he has JBLZE license plates on his car and just purchased a JBLZE logo stage backdrop last year. So it was going to remain a word beginning with E one way or the other. I have a hunch the change has more to do with JLBLZE entering it's eighth year with a new guitarist. The bassist has also changed since inception.

I've been wondering if they more have a problem with him using "Led Zeppelin" in his band name.. Why would they care about Experience... ?

To tell them because he doesn't want to change "JBLZE"  because has a Vanity plate and a backdrop seems a little odd.

3 hours ago, the chase said:

I've been wondering if they more have a problem with him using "Led Zeppelin" in his band name.. Why would they care about Experience... ?

To tell them because he doesn't want to change "JBLZE"  because has a Vanity plate and a backdrop seems a little odd.

News reports (if reliable) have stated that Zep's management team itself requested that Jason make the change, most likely because there's a possibilty they intend to use the title for some upcoming releases to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary. So it's basically clearing some legal right of way. This is a good sign if you were disappointed with the recent announcement of the big "7 inch single" that's being released, because it signals that there are many more things to come. Hopefully, that vinyl single was just the tip of the iceberg.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:29 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

News reports (if reliable) have stated that Zep's management team itself requested that Jason make the change, most likely because there's a possibilty they intend to use the title for some upcoming releases to celebrate the band's 50th anniversary. So it's basically clearing some legal right of way. This is a good sign if you were disappointed with the recent announcement of the big "7 inch single" that's being released, because it signals that there are many more things to come. Hopefully, that vinyl single was just the tip of the iceberg.

Does Jimmy intend to tour under the name "Led Zeppelin Experience" ?  Yea...................I know, What was I thinking!

Perhaps if Led Zeppelin releases a live compilation that perhaps they are intending on using Led Zeppelin Experience in the title of the release.  Just an idea, but it could certainly be for some other use.

Led Zeppelin Experience sounds like some laser light show synced to the music of Led Zeppelin and/or some exhibition to celebrate their 50th in September.  

Just a thought.

R😎

Using that name for anything seems ridiculous now. Jason has been out there for eight years touring under that name. It would only cause confusion. And as Jason said, he already paid to have an expensive backdrop made for his band with "JBLZE" on it so he had to think of how to avoid losing the money he'd put into the banner. I don't think this looks good on Jimmy and whoever else was involved.

1 hour ago, Tadpole in a Jar said:

Using that name for anything seems ridiculous now. Jason has been out there for eight years touring under that name. It would only cause confusion. And as Jason said, he already paid to have an expensive backdrop made for his band with "JBLZE" on it so he had to think of how to avoid losing the money he'd put into the banner. I don't think this looks good on Jimmy and whoever else was involved.

Agreed. Maybe one or more of the three surviving members was indirectly trying to bring an end to that Led Zeppelin Experience or has some other plans to use that name for something else (maybe including Jason w/ 3 surviving members for their 50th Anniversary celebration), so it’s not “Led Zeppelin” but “Led Zeppelin Experience”. We’ll see.

R😎

19 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I think the suits don't want any confusion over what is a bona fide Led Zeppelin event, and what isn't, during the 50th anniversary year. 

But it's not the use of the name "Led Zeppelin" they have a problem with, it's the word "experience." If they're applying "experience" to a Zeppelin project now, people are going to think of Jason's tribute band. They couldn't find a synonym for "experience" to avoid giving Jason a hard time? He's practically their nephew!

They seem to have made nothing but perfect decisions from 1968 to now (although not letting Jonesy know about Plant-Page in advance seemed a bit questionable, as well), so I hate to see them mess up a perfect record.

Maybe there’ll be several other bands this year reuniting to help with Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary celebration: 

Dread Zeppelin Experience

Kingdom Come Experience 

Jimi Hendrix Experience* (w/ replacement members)

Pink Floyd Laser Experience 

We’ll see.

R😁

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I cannot wrap my head around this one! They had an issue with the word Experience, and not with using the name Led Zeppelin?!! Who is they anyway, Warner / Chappell ...Page? 

Well, again I take the claim with a huge grain of salt. Aside from the reasons I already cited, it could also be a name change was required to bring overseas what was (remains?) an Annerin production.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Well, again I take the claim with a huge grain of salt. Aside from the reasons I already cited, it could also be a name change was required to bring overseas what was (remains?) an Annerin production.

Yep. Could be very possible for legal purposes to bring JBLZE overseas, in addition to above mentioned initial reasons. We’ll. See. 

R😎

13 hours ago, reids said:

Maybe there’ll be several other bands this year reuniting to help with Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary celebration: 

Dread Zeppelin Experience

Kingdom Come Experience 

Jimi Hendrix Experience* (w/ replacement members)

Pink Floyd Laser Experience 

We’ll see.

R😁

I was hoping for the Tiny Tim Experience but alas, this will never come about. Too bad, they could even drag out Ms. Vickie too :lol:

• 1 month later...

Holograms.

you can experience LZ from 197x as holograms . 

They have done something with technology so it can be experienced again

demixing technology and some kinda holographic tech

4 minutes ago, JAP said:

Holograms.

you can experience LZ from 197x as holograms . 

They have done something with technology so it can be experienced again

demixing technology and some kinda holographic tech

It's a bit too Barnum & Bailey for me. "Step right up, experience the mighty Led Zeppelin..."  <_<

3 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's a bit too Barnum & Bailey for me. "Step right up, experience the mighty Led Zeppelin..."  <_<

It’s  one way of “being seen to be playing” 

3 hours ago, JAP said:

It’s  one way of “being seen to be playing” 

Presumably backstage, a holographic butter queen & mounds of holographic chizzle.

Seriously this holographic musicians thing is sad. It really is a circus as SAJ said.

Archived