'Pipes And Flamenco' alleged outtake - any information?

This fan made album of outtakes consists mostly of live blues covers in surprisingly good sound quality, however if you go to 15:07 you'll find a studio instrumental labelled 'Pipes And Flamenco'. I don't recall ever having heard of this before and wondered if anyone else had or if it's just a hoax.

That is definitely Jones & Page on Pipes & Flamenco. The opening organ section has many progressions that Jones played live as the intro to Thank You in 69', 70', & 71' and a couple of sections of Page's part he used on Spanish Blood. I would place this outtake around 70'.

I am surely wrong but I remember hearing this years ago on a boot cassette I had bought in a now closed underground record store on the old Newbury Street (pre-gentrification) in Boston back in the early 90's on a day we all skipped school and took the "t" in.  The tapes liner notes said that the keys were steve winwood with page on spanish guitar...it featured several takes of the spanish guitar and keys thing with a bit of studio banter along with some other outtakes as in the featured video above; also the friends/four sticks from P &P's trip to india.  I remember thinking how fantastic that would have been if Page and WInwood worked together.  Then I saw the RAH ARMS benefit concert with winwood and page and thought they were very different talents.  But in 1969-1970? Anyways, The liner notes may have been wrong as it sounds like JPJ to me as well...but just thought it was interesting to point it out.

5 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

I am surely wrong but I remember hearing this years ago on a boot cassette I had bought in a now closed underground record store on the old Newbury Street (pre-gentrification) in Boston back in the early 90's on a day we all skipped school and took the "t" in.  The tapes liner notes said that the keys were steve winwood with page on spanish guitar...it featured several takes of the spanish guitar and keys thing with a bit of studio banter along with some other outtakes as in the featured video above; also the friends/four sticks from P &P's trip to india.  I remember thinking how fantastic that would have been if Page and WInwood worked together.  Then I saw the RAH ARMS benefit concert with winwood and page and thought they were very different talents.  But in 1969-1970? Anyways, The liner notes may have been wrong as it sounds like JPJ to me as well...but just thought it was interesting to point it out.

Place was in Cambridge yes?

I shopped at the store many times and bought many silvers until they sold me cdr copies of actual silvers as the silvers. at the time I was unaware but still extremely suspicious about the deal as I had never seen this before. To make matters worse they didn't even play in my cd player.

They handed me blank CDs ( no info, no track list, no ink in the cds, not even a jewel case) just a blank paper sleeve and when I questioned them they said that's what the bootleg was take it or leave it.  Had lived closer I would have taken it out of their hide but Lesson learned never shopped there again.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, hummingbird69 said:

Place was in Cambridge yes?

I shopped at the store many times and bought many silvers until they sold me cdr copies of actual silvers as the silvers. at the time I was unaware but still extremely suspicious about the deal as I had never seen this before. To make matters worse they didn't even play in my cd player.

They handed me blank CDs ( no info, no track list, no ink in the cds, not even a jewel case) just a blank paper sleeve and when I questioned them they said that's what the bootleg was take it or leave it.  Had lived closer I would have taken it out of their hide but Lesson learned never shopped there again.

The store I got the boot in question from wasn't in Cambridge, but across the bridge on Newbury street back when it was cool like Cambridge still tries to be tower records was on one end of Newbury and boston common is on the other...There were a lot of great shops in Cambridge back then as well and I bought some troublesome sampling rate bootleg cdr's there as well a few years later that wouldn't function in my first gen cd player. 

This specific copy with the spanish guitar and keys likely falsely attributed to Winwood was on was on a cassette tape and this was in 1991, as I said it is long gone now.  These boots were expensive ($18-$25), were labeled miserablely, and were at least 10th generation recordings and it sounded like it, but pre-you tube and 2004 DVD we thought they were the best thing.  They would be in an easily moveable/hideable box on the counter called "imports" but everyone knew what was in there.  The shops knew that the rocker kids who had gotten a sweet taste of the rare and unfiltered live zep would come back to get their fix no matter the price of the crappy recordings so they churned them out by the hundreds.

In Boston 90% of the old shops are long gone and are now miserable clothing botiques, circle-jerk art galleries, and spas that change hands every year or so and mostly serve the obliviously rich tourists types staying in the air b+b's that have taken over downtown boston and sent rents and prices into the stratosphere (it is plain to see that I am not bitter at all!)...there are only newbury comics and Armageddon in Cambridge left now.

Does anyone remember hearing that the keys on this were attributed to WInwood?  Now I am curious again about this and I can't find anything conclusive on the internet (big surprise!). 

Wasn’t this what is believed to be JPJ and Jimmy working out “babe I’m gonna leave you” and what would eventually become the intro to “your time is gonna come” during the first Lp sessions? Also is this not the recording long mistakenly rumored to be Steve Winwood and Jimmy running through BIGLY in ‘68?

9 hours ago, babysquid said:

Wasn’t this what is believed to be JPJ and Jimmy working out “babe I’m gonna leave you” and what would eventually become the intro to “your time is gonna come” during the first Lp sessions? Also is this not the recording long mistakenly rumored to be Steve Winwood and Jimmy running through BIGLY in ‘68?

Yes.

10 hours ago, babysquid said:

Yes +1

3 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

I wonder how it became attributed to Page with Winwood?  Just the incorrect label from a bootleg? 

Probably. They performed together at the Ronnie Lane ARMS concerts in early 80s and knew each other from 60s on. 

R😎

7 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

I wonder how it became attributed to Page with Winwood?  Just the incorrect label from a bootleg? 

That is curious as the progressions sound nothing like what Winwood was doing at the time yet Jones was using these progressions nightly in his pre-Thank You organ solo 69' - 71'.

14 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

Probably bootleg mislabeling, I had a cassette of the ‘71 bbc concert which was labeled Led Zeppelin Live 1972 with John Lennon! For years I thought John Peel was John Lennon!

The John Lennon error is really funny...it is food for thought to think how a simple misprint on a boot can get a rumor like this going.  I am sure most of the bootleggers didn't consider themselves archivers of this knowledge; for them it was certainly a money game.   One could have a whole thread on the topic of mislabeled boots as it is pretty interesting.

Archived