Led Zeppelin and the Monkees

Paulus

I liked the Monkees first and then Led Zeppelin.  I think the Monkees should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  They were all great musicians and actors.  This is Mickey Dolenz with Robert.  If the Beatles loved the Monkees and invited them over for a visit then that says a lot.

robert and mickey.png

Edited by Paulus
More information

Well they weren't great musicians with exemption of Mike Nesmith. You surely know they were a put together band who didn't really play on their songs to begin with and only later got in on the musical action?

they were liked by other bands though, though I've always understood that was more today with them as people, rather than musicians 

A singer by definition is musician ie. Michael Jackson or Robert Plant.  Davey Jones and Mickey Dolenz were both excellent singers and therefore musicians.  Peter Tork wrote good songs and played many instruments. 

They were indeed musicians from the get go, that's why they were hired for the show. Davey Jones was an accomplished broadway performer and a damn fine drummer. He played the drums when they performed live and Mickey played rhythm guitar and sang. The reason why they put Davey front and center and Mickey behind the kit on the show (he had to learn to play drums and he was never very good at it) was due to Davey's diminutive size...the producers were afraid he would be obscured by the kit. As was said, Peter was a very good writer, bass, guitar, and keyboard player, and Mike was a good guitarist plus a dick as well (sometimes). All in all they were in fact a good band with good musical ability. Most of their own songs were much better than the softball Boyce & Hart crap they made them play as evident in such tunes as The Porpoise Song, Daily Nightly, and Words. If the TV producers would have just let them do their own tunes and support them instead of sabotage their career they could have gone on well into the 70's.

This is the reason why other musicians respected them so much...because they were damn good writers and performers.

Another Monkees & Led Zeppelin connection is that Peter Tork (post Monkees) was a writer/producer for WKRP (tv series in the late 70s/early 80s). On one episode of season 1, swan song recording group, Detective member & actor, Michael Des Barres (Pamela Des Barres’ husband) played Dog in a fictional punk band, Scum of The Earth. 

R😎

1F0F2CCA-42B9-49ED-8B35-85C9F1ADB739.jpeg

Thank you Reids.  I did some research on your picture and it's from Ann Moses former editor of Tiger Beat magazine.

Here's what Ann had to say about that day on Facebook:

"Sorry to be one day late. . .but a big Happy 71st Birthday to Jimmy Page. Isn't he looking so handsome! I first met Jimmy when he was in the Yardbirds and I was contributing articles to the New Musical Express pop newspaper in England. The Yardbirds were in Hollywood to perform at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on September 7, 1966. After our interview, Jimmy asked me if I could introduce them to the Monkees - the buzz was out on this new pop sensation. So, I made arrangements to take Jimmy out to their set. I adore the photo that was taken that day - My left arm through Jimmy's, Peter has me in a "headlock," and both Micky and Jimmy have their jackets covered in buttons. This was the coolest thing at the time. My button says "Fly High with the Yardbirds."  We had such a blast out on the set, and if you look closely, behind us are Jimmy's record companies execs and I think they were as thrilled as Jimmy to be out on the Monkees set! What an amazing life and career he has had. Way to go Jimmy! Rock on!"

jimmy page and ann moses.jpg

On 3/7/2018 at 6:13 AM, The Only Way To Fly said:

I LOVE classic rock - and obviously Zeppelin - but would say The Monkeeys are one of my favorite pop-bands of all time. Touring with Hendrix, hanging around the Beatles, pals with Frank Zappa, etc.

Def a group of great musicians who don't get the respect that they're due for sure. 

Didn't realize they toured with Hendrix! Mind blown! Thanks for sharing that interesting tidbit!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 10:04 PM, Paulus said:

Thank you Reids.  I did some research on your picture and it's from Ann Moses former editor of Tiger Beat magazine.

Here's what Ann had to say about that day on Facebook:

"Sorry to be one day late. . .but a big Happy 71st Birthday to Jimmy Page. Isn't he looking so handsome! I first met Jimmy when he was in the Yardbirds and I was contributing articles to the New Musical Express pop newspaper in England. The Yardbirds were in Hollywood to perform at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on September 7, 1966. After our interview, Jimmy asked me if I could introduce them to the Monkees - the buzz was out on this new pop sensation. So, I made arrangements to take Jimmy out to their set. I adore the photo that was taken that day - My left arm through Jimmy's, Peter has me in a "headlock," and both Micky and Jimmy have their jackets covered in buttons. This was the coolest thing at the time. My button says "Fly High with the Yardbirds."  We had such a blast out on the set, and if you look closely, behind us are Jimmy's record companies execs and I think they were as thrilled as Jimmy to be out on the Monkees set! What an amazing life and career he has had. Way to go Jimmy! Rock on!"

jimmy page and ann moses.jpg

You’re welcome, Paulus. Thanks for sharing.

R😀👍

• 1 year later...

I thought that Zeppelin, and The Monkees HAD to have some kind of a connection. In 1967, the Monkees wrote and recorded a song called 'Goin' Down', about a man who jumps from a bridge to kill himself and changes his mind after he's in the water. The lyric "Goin'Down" is repeated continuously. Well, I've wondered for a long time if Robert might have referenced the lyric from that song for: 'When The Levee Breaks', in 1971? The lyric doesn't appear in the pre Zeppelin version of 'Levee', so I've suspected this for a while, but I haven't been able to find a connection, until now. I had no idea that Zeppelin were Monkees fans, and after learning this, it seems much more likely to me that the lyric "Goin' Down" IS a reference to the song 'Goin' Down', by the Monkees. Can anyone confirm this? I've not been able to find the answer anywhere, and it's been driving me nuts! 

• 2 years later...

David Crosby was in The Byrds and Crosby, Stills and Nash. He's not a folk singer, though all three bands dabbled with that genre. He's in for a damn good reason. As for why Ted Nugent isn't in, I don't know, and frankly, I don't give a damn. He had one halfway decent song 45 years ago, and that's it. His politics, as disgusting, abhorrent, and frankly ignorant as they are, have about as much bearing on his non-inclusion as the color of the sky does. 

Anyway, this isn't the thread for whining about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.