Complete Seattle '77 Video

Tony Harden

Watching the video of this show has given me a new respect for the whole 1977 tour.

Yes the tour had its negatives but I want to focus more on the tour's positives.

This was Led Zeppelin at their most visually pleasing. 

A tour this grand with shows that were that spectacular deserves to have at least one complete show on film.  It's a shame that we don't have more.

Let's not forget that many of the fans of the day risked their lives getting tickets to the shows and also by actually going to the shows

A List Of Five Things I Enjoy About The 1977 Tour:

5.  Ten Years Gone - As far as I know this number had never been done live in the US before the '77 tour.  I like it.  It sets the mood for the acoustic set very well.

4.  The Return Of The Acoustic Set:

A.  Going To California always steals every Zep acoustic set for me

B.  I love The Battle Of Evermore in the '77 acoustic set.  Jonsey taking on Sandy Denny's lines is interesting but it works

3.  Jimmy's Feedback Solo - A lot of Zep fans moan about this but I've always liked it.  If the '77 version of No Quarter failed to deliver the feeling of gloom and doom that the '73 and '75 versions offered then the Feedback solo gives at least some of it back.

2.  Jimmy's White Costume - This has always been my favorite of all of Jimmy's stage costumes.  Jimmy didn't wear it at every show on the '77 tour but it will always be the pinnacle of cool to me.  

1.  Achilles - Arguably Zep's hardest number.  This one always brings the house to its knees

Makes you wonder if in the decade to come anything is salvageable and release worthy from the vaults al-a '77.

Of course, it would be the best kept secret in history if there was something unknown from '77 in Jimmys possession.

47 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Makes you wonder if in the decade to come anything is salvageable and release worthy from the vaults al-a '77.

Of course, it would be the best kept secret in history if there was something unknown from '77 in Jimmys possession.

From all the editing I've read about from the previous live releases, Page would need at least three multi tracked shows to splice from. TSRTS- He had the three shows in MSG. HTWWW- Three shows in California. Can we assume he has the entire six night run in LA for 77 and is splicing the shit out of it as we speak? I'm going to assume...for ten more years.

HTWWW was created from two shows (plus Jones' Stairway intro on the mellotron from Southamption '73).

But yes, you are right that he'd need at least two shows, in order to mix and match the best parts and to patch Plant's vocals.

I haven't heard everything from '77--and that includes the infamous Tempe gig--but most of what I've heard sounds good, if not great. Some slip-ups here and there, and a few other things you have to adjust to after the first listen. I was thinking about Jonesy switching from the Fender to the Alembic--or the Fretless on "In My Time of Dying."

As for the Seattle gig, not too sure what many complain about, other than maybe the feed of the audio from that show isn't superior, but as far as the band itself, everything seems kosher....

35 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

As for the Seattle gig, not too sure what many complain about, other than maybe the feed of the audio from that show isn't superior, but as far as the band itself, everything seems kosher....

Although I've seen the show many times I just got my copy of the DVD this morning and watched the first half. I suppose it's kosher for Zeppelin during 1977, but it's certainly not a great performance. Page is meh and Plant's voice is on and off, but that's Led Zeppelin post 72. BTW, that's one of the worst SIBLY's I've heard and that's a song they almost always nail. Bonzo is playing great though. Still, I'm grateful to have anything by them on video.

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Although I've seen the show many times I just got my copy of the DVD this morning and watched the first half. I suppose it's kosher for Zeppelin during 1977, but it's certainly not a great performance. Page is meh and Plant's voice is on and off, but that's Led Zeppelin post 72. BTW, that's one of the worst SIBLY's I've heard and that's a song they almost always nail. Bonzo is playing great though. Still, I'm grateful to have anything by them on video.

Seattle is not representative of how good Plant and Page usually were in 1977. After the struggles of 1973 and 1975, Plant's voice was back in a big way in 1977. I just don't know what the hell happened in Seattle.

That said, as I posted somewhere years ago, I find Seattle '77 a more satisfying show to listen to, especially the audience tape or Godfather's improved soundboard, than to watch.

The band, in particular Jimmy Page, looks lethargic compared to what I witnessed at the Forum.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The song I always go back to on the 77 tour is Sick Again.

It's not too long (well at least by 77 standards) and the rover intro sort of encapsulates the languid excess and power of that infamous tour.

Agree completely.

Jimmy’s workload on this tour was incredible, particularly given he was not in the best of shape. 3 hour sets, 30 minutes of NQ, noise solo, Achilles, TYG. I thought the tour was pretty good, with a decent set list. Just a pity it doesn’t have more songs off Presence (For Your Life, Tea for One) or Physical Graffiti (The Rover, Wanton Song, In the Light). 

Archived