Zeppelin in St..Louis, 1977

1 hour ago, LurksReturnington said:

Fucking awesome! Thanks for sharing Lurks!

People act like it was a hassle camping out and that getting tickets by phone or internet is more convenient but I would rather go back to the old days in a heartbeat.

It was fun camping out and sharing the experience with like-minded fans. It added to the anticipation and experience of the concert. A rite of passage, you could say.

Now, if only someone would free the St. Louis tape!

Edited by Strider

It was more fun and more of a level playing field getting tickets back then versus the scams these ticket companies have their hands in w/ “reseller” (scalper) business nowadays. Dont even get me started about the surcharge, ticket, processing and miscellaneous fees. 

R😎

Great article.

Two comments in particular caught my attention:

"Page enjoyed his finest moments when he minimized the distortion on the tone of his guitar. Then the audience could pick out what he was picking."

Generally I feel like distortion comes through less on the bootlegs in 1977 but it sounds like if you were there you might not think so. Another tidbit as to why the bootlegs are wonderful to have but really are just so dang far from what it was like to be there (of course).

"Plant didn't try to impress the crowd as a great singer. He isn't. ...His style is to be shrill and fall off the notes soon after he hits them."

Dang! Harsh stuff!

8 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Great article.

Two comments in particular caught my attention:

"Page enjoyed his finest moments when he minimized the distortion on the tone of his guitar. Then the audience could pick out what he was picking."

Generally I feel like distortion comes through less on the bootlegs in 1977 but it sounds like if you were there you might not think so. Another tidbit as to why the bootlegs are wonderful to have but really are just so dang far from what it was like to be there (of course).

"Plant didn't try to impress the crowd as a great singer. He isn't. ...His style is to be shrill and fall off the notes soon after he hits them."

Dang! Harsh stuff!

Or how about, "He also has a knack for singing 'b-b-b-baby' better than most."  Talk about a back-handed compliment!

Great review of the '73 show, BTW.

17 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Dang! Harsh stuff!

Geez. What constitutes a "great" singer? I think as a rock vocalist, he was almost untouchable up to 72. Plant's voice certainly changed for better or worse, but he was absolutely still a great singer in my opinion. Once his voice smoothed out some in 77 and he learned how to sing accurately at a lower register, he was just as good as anyone else. It's not like he was singing out of key. 

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Geez. What constitutes a "great" singer? I think as a rock vocalist, he was almost untouchable up to 72. Plant's voice certainly changed for better or worse, but he was absolutely still a great singer in my opinion. Once his voice smoothed out some in 77 and he learned how to sing accurately at a lower register, he was just as good as anyone else. It's not like he was singing out of key. 

It sounds to me this reviewer does not like Plant due to his foppish stage presence and is using a poor excuse instead of wanting to appear shallow. Then again, maybe he does not like his style. The writer gives this away in several places, especially toward the end where he praises Jones on keys specifically. This is the only part of the review which is relatively positive as he either directly critiques (Plant), or snidely comments (Page & Bonham). However only Jones is singled out for actual praise.

That's reviews for ya, opinion pieces, nothing more.

• 2 years later...