Robert Plant Interview with Dan Rather

Hello all,

Dan Rather recently interviewed Robert on his cable program on AXS TV (pronounced like 'access', axstv.com).  I haven't been able to watch it yet but wanted to post the link (hopefully this works as I've never tried to post a link here before).

http://www.axs.tv/originals/tbi-robertplant-full-episode/

Just now, zepscoda said:

Great interview! Two true masters of their respective craft.  The most personal questions I have ever heard in a Robert Plant interview,  paired with the most personal answers given. 

I watched it last night on the AXS TV website.  Very good and in agreement with what you said as felt the same.  First time I've ever heard Robert talk in detail about the death of Karac.  Usually, that's one of the subjects that's off limits in interviews.  Dan Rather did a great job and a good interview.  Seemed Robert was enjoying the interview and no sarcastic or off color remarks with his British humor.

Interesting stuff from Dan & responses from Robert, as it wasn’t the same cookie cutter questions. Rather and his team put time & thought into preparing this sit down conversation based interview. Thx for sharing. I’ve been trying to get AXS tv in area for years. Looking forward to seeing RP share his Carry Fire Tour in June. 

R😎

14 minutes ago, reids said:

Interesting stuff from Dan & responses from Robert, as it wasn’t the same cookie cutter questions. Rather and his team put time & thought into preparing this sit down conversation based interview. Thx for sharing. I’ve been trying to get AXS tv in area for years. Looking forward to seeing RP share his Carry Fire Tour in June. 

R😎

Agreed and not the standard interview and rare with this from Robert, Jimmy or anyone else.  The platform was there.  Although, I could put the interview with Howard Stern up there as well as a good one too.  Even though Howard was a bit much at times.  Just interrupts too often, otherwise he'd be good if he got away from this.  Howard has always been a big Led Zeppelin fan and appreciates there music so much.

20 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Agreed and not the standard interview and rare with this from Robert, Jimmy or anyone else.  The platform was there.  Although, I could put the interview with Howard Stern up there as well as a good one too.  Even though Howard was a bit much at times.  Just interrupts too often, otherwise he'd be good if he got away from this.  Howard has always been a big Led Zeppelin fan and appreciates there music so much.

Yes, indeed. I think we’ll see the two of them interact again. Good (on camera) chemistry and interaction considering Robert meeting Dan for the first time for this sit down conversation based interview.

R😎 

Edited by reids

19 hours ago, reids said:

Yes, indeed. I think we’ll see the two of them interact again. Good (on camera) chemistry and interaction considering Robert meeting Dan for the first time for this sit down conversation based interview.

R😎 

I can see this happening again as they seemed to have a good rapport.

One of the best interviews with Plant I have seen. Robert & Dan seem to really quite like each other which resulted in an easy flow, more of a conversation than an interview.

So...what brand of gin DOES Robert prefer??? I say he is a Bombay Sapphire East man myself.

I watched the interview. Plant looked really good and very relaxed; totally calm and comfortable. You could tell Rather and crew had done their homework and it was nice to see Robert's demeanor at ease instead of almost cringing, waiting for the next question.

TBH, it would have been awesome for Rather to ask, as a last question:

Rather: So Robert, in closing I just have one more question...why a mud shark? I mean, a catfish would have more appropriate no?

Robert: Goddamnit Dan!!!

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

TBH, it would have been awesome for Rather to ask, as a last question:

Rather: So Robert, in closing I just have one more question...why a mud shark? I mean, a catfish would have more appropriate no?

Robert: Goddamnit Dan!!!

HA! But remember, at one point Robert does say something like "You promised me there'd be no trick questions."  :)

• 1 year later...

I saw this interview again recently and was struck by how reflective and thoughtful Robert was.   Remarkable.  What he said about Kashmir was quite special.  Dan Rather asked him why Kashmir was his favorite song.  He said:

"It was a great achievement to take such a monstrously dramatic musical piece and find a lyric that was ambiguous enough, and a delivery which was not overpumped, just, it was almost like the antithesis of the music, this kind of lyric, and this vocal delivery that was just about enough to get in there."   

• 3 months later...

I watched the entire interview on You Tube.  I was hoping it was a bit more recent but its fairly recent.  Robert said he was going to two soccer games, I assume in the UK as he as in Wales then.  Today Manchester United is at Wolves.  Not sure if he will be at that one. Doubt it.  It was strange to see Robert Plant with Dan Rather.  Two guys that are so different.   I did not realize Robert lived in Austin.   He can have Texas.   Good to know he has left.  Two states I would never care to live in are Texas and Ohio.  For my own reasons.  I also saw the Page interview where he shows his "house".  More like a castle.   Beautiful.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I watched the entire interview on You Tube.  I was hoping it was a bit more recent but its fairly recent.  Robert said he was going to two soccer games, I assume in the UK as he as in Wales then.  Today Manchester United is at Wolves.  Not sure if he will be at that one. Doubt it.  It was strange to see Robert Plant with Dan Rather.  Two guys that are so different.   I did not realize Robert lived in Austin.   He can have Texas.   Good to know he has left.  Two states I would never care to live in are Texas and Ohio.  For my own reasons.  I also saw the Page interview where he shows his "house".  More like a castle.   Beautiful.

I would assume if Robert is home, he'd absolutely go to see the Wolves play. He has a house in Wales, or I think he used to, but he lives in Kidderminster area. He lived in Texas with Patti Griffin, probably the driving reason, more so than the state itself, although Austin is a really cool city - very Liberal compared to the rest of the state.