How The West Was Won Remastered Reviews/Thoughts

paplbojo

18 hours ago, The Rover said:

Right. Listening to the powerful BIOH from the HTWWW BD took me back to hearing it live, for the first time, to that magical performance on Aug. 22, 1970. By then, the second hand smoke in the TCCC arena had had it's effect on that 14 year old teenager.

Wow! I have serious Zeppelin envy over the shows you've seen of this band. Maybe one day we'll be able to upload memories to youtube cause I want yours :)

On 3/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, blindwillie127 said:

Wow! I have serious Zeppelin envy over the shows you've seen of this band. Maybe one day we'll be able to upload memories to youtube cause I want yours :)

Let's Load Jimmy's memories instead. :D

I finally got and have listened to the BluRay audio surround sound of HTWWW.

There are certain albums that make you happy that you invested a little money in a surround sound system - this is definitely one of them. One of the best things about a well-made BluRay Audio 5.1 mix is that it isn't a punch-you-in-the-face affair like DVD-Audio discs from about 10-15 years ago were. Now, if you want to take the paint off the walls with it, you can - you just crank up the volume - but, the default volume is just well-balanced and pleasant to listen to.

One of the things I like the most is a surface detail - I can listen to the whole thing in one sitting without changing discs! (In fact, this detail is one of the reasons I like CDs compared to vinyl, i.e., no flipping over half-way through.) Well, I'll point out a few sonic highlights:

Every song sounds better - it's that simple. The ones that will really blow your mind in surround are (of course) the longer songs. If the mere concept of hearing "Dazed and Confused" in 5.1 sounds intriguing, I promise that the reality is even more so. Bowed guitar and theramin sounds floating all around you menacingly as if you were in the crowd yourself is a great treat! Accompanied by JPJ's throbbing bass, Bonzo's relentless rhythms, and Robert's languid moans, you remember why LZ was so beloved live. It was a full sensory experience.

"Moby Dick"...Jesus H. Christ! So that's what an elephant stampede sounds like! You even get the added bonus of Bonzo giving you a tour of your speakers on this song. Jimmy does the same thing in the middle of "What Is And What Should Never Be" with the guitar.

"Whole Lotta Love" - see "Dazed and Confused" above for a description of the middle section. As many others have said, the cut of "Hello Mary Lou" isn't noticeable - if you didn't know it was there originally, you wouldn't know anything had been cut.

Have you ever had the experience of rediscovering a song that you once really liked, but you had heard it too often to properly appreciate it for its own merits anymore? If you haven't, listen to this version of "Rock And Roll" - I got the same buzz hearing this version as I got when I first heard it ever. I didn't expect that!

You can hear the crowd respond to some of Robert's ad-libs he inserted into some of the lyrics - a nice little bonus. Things like this exemplify one of the the best things about a well-mixed live recording - you feel like you're actually at the show, but with the ambient crowd noise down to a comfortable level and with extra clarity in the instruments.

Throughout the show, I kept saying to myself, "This music was created by only three instrumentalists and one singer? That's not possible!" LZ always sounded like a rock orchestra live, as if they had 6 or 7 people on-stage playing instead of just the 4. Both the recording and the mix just make you appreciate the collective alchemy they had on stage.

I seem to remember a spoken introduction to "Dancing Days" that isn't on this - I'll have to check that and make sure I'm not confusing this with a different show. We've talked about the cuts of "Plantations" on official live recordings here - does anyone think that Robert might be the one vetoing their inclusion, and not just Jimmy? I've often wondered about this...

Well, if anyone is on the fence, get off of it and buy some version of this remix/remaster. It is definitely worth it - and this is coming from someone who was disappointed in the original announcement of this release. I wasn't sure I was going to get any version of it, and now I very happily have two...

Edited by ForEvermore

5 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Great review!

The Blu-Ray stereo track does have a spoken intro to Dancing Days, although it's tracked at the end of What Is and What Should Never be, rather than at the beginning of Dancing Days.

Thank you very much! :)

I'll have to listen to both again and make sure I'm just not imagining things - if they are different, I wonder why there would be differences between 5.1 and stereo versions of the same recording., esp. in a spoken introduction. Weird...

14 hours ago, duckman said:

Love the blu-ray too! no need to change discs anymore. Hope "How the East was Won" will get this treatment too in september:hurrah:

I`d have no problem to turn & change the records of a How The East Was Won vinyl box. 5 Discs per box, both Tokyo and both Osaka gigs, and this time with NICE artwork, please.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it.  FANTASTIC !!  Sounds much better than the original.  I can't believe I waited to order it.  At first I was frustrated - why does it need to be remastered?  Why didn't he do it right the first time in 2003?  Why should I pay for another version?  But then some friends told me how incredible this is.  And they were right!  This is the greatest live album ever by anyone.  We will see if Jimmy can top it later this year.  When you consider the range of material, the sound, the mix,  and the level of energy and execution there is no other live album that can "hold a candle" (if I may use that phrase in regard to these shows) to this one.  

So as I reflect - it cost me $18 to buy this.  That will get me a burger and a pint at my local brewpub. This remastered set is an absolute treasure I will cherish for years.  Not a bad deal if you ask me.  Especially when you consider that a single album cost me $6 in the early 70s.  $18 for this is an absolute steal.  Icing on the cake - the photos in the booklet are superb.

It takes me back to that day in 2003 when I bought the first version along with the DVD.    When I was checking out at the counter the young woman (maybe 20?) said "alot of people are buying these today.  Is this a big deal or something?"  Well that made me feel old at age 44.  I just said "alot of us have been waiting a long, long time for this."  She smiled and said she hoped I liked it.

I almost blasted the windows out of my car on the ride home.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, The Rover said:

HTWWW 2018 Blu-Ray Headphone Review

As each song begins, a still picture is displayed for the entirety of the song, and looks to be matched to each song that's playing. (...) I never owned the 2003 edition, so any 2003/2018 comparisons will have to come from someone else.

Yes, I have the 2003 Blu-Ray, and it did the same thing with a still photo that changes once the next song begins.  I'll have to order a copy seeing everyone here is digging the new sound!

• 2 weeks later...

I am reaching the conclusion that Over the Hills on this new HTWWW is one of the most exciting recordings of Zeppelin I have ever heard.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to see one of those 1972 shows where this incredible song was debuted.  That beautiful guitar only pastoral opening, Plant enters in a mellow but wonderful "singer" mode, Page picks up steam, and then what a blast off with Plant managing to go sky high over the all-out bulldozer assault.  So much power and energy.  It is still impressive to this day although we have all heard the song many many times.  It is still so captivating and well electrifying.  You know that blast off is approaching and it still packs a wallop.   For those of you lucky enough to have seen Over the Hills live in 1972 I would like to hear your thoughts.    

17 hours ago, John M said:

I am reaching the conclusion that Over the Hills on this new HTWWW is one of the most exciting recordings of Zeppelin I have ever heard.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to see one of those 1972 shows where this incredible song was debuted.  That beautiful guitar only pastoral opening, Plant enters in a mellow but wonderful "singer" mode, Page picks up steam, and then what a blast off with Plant managing to go sky high over the all-out bulldozer assault.  So much power and energy.  It is still impressive to this day although we have all heard the song many many times.  It is still so captivating and well electrifying.  You know that blast off is approaching and it still packs a wallop.   For those of you lucky enough to have seen Over the Hills live in 1972 I would like to hear your thoughts.    

Too young to have seen them live, but I agree about this track - and I think we're fortunate to have it, as it's the only known professionally recorded live version where Plant's voice still allows him to sing the original melody and hit the original notes. And it's a great performance.

• 2 weeks later...

While I do agree that Robert was at his best as recorded in '72, as dizzying and great as Jimmy's performances were, I think that Jimmy's "best" is found post 1972. I know it's a matter of personal taste, and I guess I do prefer the '73 and '75 "Jimmy" over the '72n in style and substance. But that's not a detraction... I just like the '73 and '75 Jimmy better. And with that, I don't really mind that I'm not getting the "best" Robert in '73 and '75, as I'm primarily a Jimmy fan over a Robert fan... so when I feel like I'm getting Jimmy's "best", then I can make all kinds of exceptions for Robert not being his "best."

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

While I do agree that Robert was at his best as recorded in '72, as dizzying and great as Jimmy's performances were, I think that Jimmy's "best" is found post 1972. I know it's a matter of personal taste, and I guess I do prefer the '73 and '75 "Jimmy" over the '72n in style and substance. But that's not a detraction... I just like the '73 and '75 Jimmy better. And with that, I don't really mind that I'm not getting the "best" Robert in '73 and '75, as I'm primarily a Jimmy fan over a Robert fan... so when I feel like I'm getting Jimmy's "best", then I can make all kinds of exceptions for Robert not being his "best."

I can take Jimmy from Led Zeppelin beginning to end. For me personally, the difference is, as time marched on, Jimmy was less consistent. But even in 1980, there are gems where he still delivered supreme. They are not exactly "rare" gems - but it was a declining arc.

And I totally get the Jimmy fan angle. I'm the same. I love Zep. Love all of them. But Jimmy is the man! Greatest EVER.

*ALL members made the magic 5th element. No disrespect to JPJ, Bonham and Plant. They are equals in what Zep produced.

Edited by rm2551

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I can take Jimmy from Led Zeppelin beginning to end. For me personally, the difference is, as time marched on, Jimmy was less consistent. But even in 1980, there are gems where he still delivered supreme. They are not exactly "rare" gems - but it was a declining arc.

And I totally get the Jimmy fan angle. I'm the same. I love Zep. Love all of them. But Jimmy is the man! Greatest EVER.

*ALL members made the magic 5th element. No disrespect to JPJ, Bonham and Plant. They are equals in what Zep produced.

Any recording or boot where Jimmy is doing well is a good thing to listen to.

"Well" encompasses personal taste, so all my Jimmy favorites won't be someone else's. But any year with Jimmy playing well is a good time to listen.

There are those that shun any post '72 recordings because, for them, without Robert at his best vocal range, "party is over for them". But, not for me. :)

Without Bonham & Jonesy laying down the bottom, then, it's not "Led Zeppelin."

Edited by The Rover

4 hours ago, The Rover said:

Without Bonham & Jonesy laying down the bottom, then, it's not "Led Zeppelin."

Too right. Bonzo inspired Jimmy more than people realise and Jonesy created more riffs than he is credited for. And all those journeys that Page takes us on when he breaks out with his solo's, you listen to Jones and Bonham underneath and it's just as glorious. Every time.

• 1 year later...

I seem to be in a minority here, but I fell the remaster hasn't enough high end.  It's muddy and indistinct compared to the 2003 mix.  Drums and bass overpower the guitars and vocals (we're talking stereo mix comparisons here).

For those here who think Jimmy Page is the king of guitar:  imagine how amazing he'd be if he could pick the same strings he's fingering!  I've always thought he sounds like he's playing with gloves on, as he misses about 40% of the notes he's trying to play.  After decades of listening I think the problem is his hands aren't precisely in sync, and he picks notes slightly after he frets them, instead attacking as he's pulling off and muting the notes.  He is an amazing composer, and given enough studio time for retakes he manages to get some amazing playing on tape, but live he sounds like he's wearing mittens.  The king of sloppy guitar

On 5/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, timothy5151 said:

I just got my HWWW super deluxe boxset a few days ago. It's a noticeable improvement over the original. Such clear and crisp sound. It's great to have this release on vinyl and in HD digital format.

Agreed. I got the blu ray audio. I  think it is a better mix and you can hear everything better. I hope Led Zeppelin release more live titles even if it takes JP a few years in between.

R😎

On 2/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, }{eywood said:

I seem to be in a minority here, but I fell the remaster hasn't enough high end.  It's muddy and indistinct compared to the 2003 mix.  Drums and bass overpower the guitars and vocals (we're talking stereo mix comparisons here).

For those here who think Jimmy Page is the king of guitar:  imagine how amazing he'd be if he could pick the same strings he's fingering!  I've always thought he sounds like he's playing with gloves on, as he misses about 40% of the notes he's trying to play.  After decades of listening I think the problem is his hands aren't precisely in sync, and he picks notes slightly after he frets them, instead attacking as he's pulling off and muting the notes.  He is an amazing composer, and given enough studio time for retakes he manages to get some amazing playing on tape, but live he sounds like he's wearing mittens.  The king of sloppy guitar

About a week or two ago, I was actually listening to Since I've Been Loving You from the remastered HTWWW album. While Since I've Been Loving You has always been one of my favorite Zeppelin songs, I never really cared for this version.. While listening to it recently right as it starts going into the main guitar solo I was just completely astonished by just how f***ing amazing Jimmy's playing was. Kind of haven't wanted to play guitar much since then being that guitar was completely mastered in 1972 by Jimmy.

People can try to knock Jimmy anytime, and yet he still is always listed in the top 3 greatest guitarists ever.

These excellent remasters just show that Zeppelin were and still have not been surpassed for sheer talent, memorable songs and playing, and singing as was the mighty Zeppelin.  I never get tired of listening to them and each time I re-listen, I hear a few things I missed in succeeding plays.

ADK-Zeppy

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 9:12 PM, goldenretreiver157 said:

Will the multitracks of both shows ever be released? They played blueberry hill during WLL at Long beach, so sad to not hear it here, and louie louie, marylou.. makes me wanna cry

Not while Page is alive.  Especially not when the copyright owners of those other songs want their pound of flesh, which is why they were removed in the first place.
And if you mean the multitracks as literally separate tracks for people to mix..... never.  Very few artists would ever release the multis of their music.

Does anyone know what royalty percentage or cash payment a songwriter might expect to receive or insist on, or for having their song included on a L.Z live album. For example Louie Louie, Hello Mary Lou etc? Removing these songs is a disappointment for sure. Would the cost really be so prohibitive?