Nitpicking Page 2/6/75 Montreal (The 1975 World Tour Bootleg)

gibsonfan159

Way too critical. As far as twangy sound and other sound issues it's the source of the audience boot to blame. This is a great great show. It's Percy who ruins it as usual as he did for the 73 Europe shows, most of 1973! and all of 1975. It's easy to focus on Jimmy cause Robert is too cringe worthy to listen too. A lot of the 75 shows are soundboard compressed and lack any reverb or tone. This audience recording is bottom heavy which Zep lacked in 1973 shows. Page doesn't sound on his own here , he sounds like he's on a mission with Jonsey and Bonzo bass drum right along for the ride. This is a powerful show that if balanced correctly can be played on any loud Bluetooth speaker in the house. 

Jimmy probably plays more of a flurry of notes than most guitar players out there during a show. He switches constantly from lead to rhythm while playing root notes, blues scales , pull offs, and risk taking the whole time. He's not a great live player I believe because of nerves. Yes he holds the pick a bit heavy and gets caught in the strings. This show demonstrates his lightening speed especially towards third and final verse of DAC. Shows his risk taking by adding a third solo of furious fast notes at the end of Sick Again. Kashmir is a monster here and about time the keyboards are not prominent. 

Pagey pulls off my favorite STH solo of all time. His tone is magical and his phrasing lyrical. 

If only Plant could get over his 2 year flu , the 1975 shows would have surpassed 1973. Why they would let the shows go on is a question i'm sure most people were afraid to ask Peter Grant. I guess it was a money issue. 

A lot of these shows where Planty is suffering ( Europe 1973 ) , Jimmy is on.

When Jimmy is terrible ( most of 1977) , Robert is on...is this a game they played ? 

In this show I personally believe with the lack of accesss to certain stimulants in Canada and Robert hurting , Jimmy just didn't give a fckn and just played his balls off. It is a bit rushed like a lot of 75 shows but I believe his playing is as good as 1973 European tour which was the rhythm section just tearing it up night after night. Yes , it's not perfect, but a great audience recording. 

Thanks for letting me vent. You should see my You Tube comments!!

DC

NYC 

7 minutes ago, Blaize86 said:

If only Plant could get over his 2 year flu , the 1975 shows would have surpassed 1973

First, I'm glad to hear some feedback. Second, I'm not sure why you're saying I was way too critical when I agreed with 99% of what you said. The only thing I disagree with is the quote above. Jimmy certainly had some highlights in 75 (2/6, 2/8, 3/12, 5/25), but no way was he on a 73 level overall. He was inebriated for most shows, and even when he wasn't his phrasing wasn't on the same level as 73. That's my opinion anyway. I really need to nitpick some 73 shows.

That Stairway solo is truly awesome.

I just love the show. Your critique is from a guitar player and I was just protecting my favorite 75 show. Haha.

All good and I will re listen with your input in my head. As far as that Philly show, yes I need to give that a good listen. I heard DAC from it and it was remarkable audience recording of I recall. I've been so stuck on this Montreal show for a couple of years now. It just baffles me how Jimmy can go from one night to another and his playing ability suffer so much. Was he in taking that much chemicals or was it nerves. ? I'm glad I heard this show because I wrote him off after 1973 and some of the EC shows. I kinda got a new " see u told ya he can play " bragging right out of this show so i'm protective. 

All good , just read your MSG 75 thread too and you are spot on.

DC

nyc 

3 minutes ago, Blaize86 said:

I'm glad I heard this show because I wrote him off after 1973 and some of the EC shows. I kinda got a new " see u told ya he can play " bragging right out of this show so i'm protective. 

I too thought he was excellent for this show until I nitpicked it and saw it wasn't as good as I had thought. 2/8 and 3/12 have Page playing much better, par 73 level. The 2 Vancouver shows are both solid as well, though not great. 

I honestly don't think it was as much his nerves as it was his medication for his injured finger. He was drinking lot and possibly popping pills like crazy. There's eyewitness accounts of the "road doctor" accussing Page of stealing from his medicinal bag in 75.

On 5/18/2018 at 2:56 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I really need to nitpick some 73 shows.

Yes please, I have enjoyed your 75 & 77 nitpicks, though I consider myself mainly as a 69-73 fan.

On 24th April you said: " I'd really dread doing most 73 shows because at least with the 75 shows, I can find a good array of both good and bad. With 73, I'd just be boring people to death jerking off over Page."

Well, don`t be afraid- there is plenty of light & shade in these 73 shows. Just one suggestion, please don`t isolate the shows of the european tour from the gigs of the US tour, this procedure might enable a clearer view on the pros & cons of any particular show- for example: Is Vienna really that good compared to Seattle? Is Essen on par with New Orleans?...........

Archived