Was Heart's "Little Queen" the closest thing to a Zep album by another band?

gibsonfan159

"Barracuda" is obviously a direct take on "Achilles". "Love Alive" has a Stairway structure. Then you have all the mandolin stuff (a lot of which I think is better than Zep's). Little Queen could easily have been on Presence (would have made that album better IMO). "Say Hello" has that bright Houses Of The Holy feel. Just imagine it in place of "The Crunge". "Go On Cry" sounds like a Physical Graffiti outtake.

What do you folks think? What other albums could be Zep albums in an alternate universe?

1 hour ago, LordStanley said:

Greta Van Fleet's From the Fires EP is the latest.  At least, they acknowledge that they're trying to sound like Zeppelin unlike others who've pretended that the similarities were just a coincidence.

GVF are alike Zep as far as sound, but their songwriting isn't even close to them. I really don't know why any true Zep fan would even mention their name. There have been hundreds of bands, just like GVF, that have sounded like Zep, but none of them have had a similar songwriting formula.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Almost all of Billy Squire's stuff from Tale of the Tape to Emotions in Motion are almost direct Zep clones.

Agreed - esp. "Don't Say No" (as a point of trivia, and to those who are fans, a hybrid SACD of this great album has just been released).

Part of the royalties from "Lonely Is The Night" should go to Jimmy just for the spirit of the song...

17 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

GVF are alike Zep as far as sound, but their songwriting isn't even close to them. I really don't know why any true Zep fan would even mention their name. There have been hundreds of bands, just like GVF, that have sounded like Zep, but none of them have had a similar songwriting formula.

+1 . . I just don't get it. . This gen is literally dying for good music. . 

I think Southern Harmony and Musical Companion by the Black Crowes shows alot of Zeppelin influences, lyrically and musically.  Sting Me and Hotel Illness are a bit Graffiti like.  No Speak No Slave and Sometimes Salvation are Presence like, and My Morning Song is a monster rock blues extravaganza showing bits of In the Evening and When the Levee Breaks at least conceptually, and some In My Time of Dying musically and lyrically for good measure.

Remedy and the other tracks are not Zep like, but that is alot of Zep influences on one album.

2 hours ago, John M said:

I think Southern Harmony and Musical Companion by the Black Crowes shows alot of Zeppelin influences, lyrically and musically.  Sting Me and Hotel Illness are a bit Graffiti like.  No Speak No Slave and Sometimes Salvation are Presence like, and My Morning Song is a monster rock blues extravaganza showing bits of In the Evening and When the Levee Breaks at least conceptually., and some In My Time of Dying musically and lyrically for good measure.

Remedy and the other tracks are not Zep like, but that is alot of Zep influences on one album.

I agree with this. In fact, Jimmy must have agreed too - why else would he have toured with them?

12 hours ago, John M said:

I think Southern Harmony and Musical Companion by the Black Crowes shows alot of Zeppelin influences, lyrically and musically.  Sting Me and Hotel Illness are a bit Graffiti like.  No Speak No Slave and Sometimes Salvation are Presence like, and My Morning Song is a monster rock blues extravaganza showing bits of In the Evening and When the Levee Breaks at least conceptually, and some In My Time of Dying musically and lyrically for good measure.

That's my favorite Crowes album, now I know why...

12 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I really like Greta Van Fleet. There hasn't been good rock and roll since the 1990's. New music today is auto-tuned, overproduced crap. GVF is a refreshing break from that.

I think early Rush is heavily Zep influenced.

Yes, some critics back in the day called them a "poor man's Led Zeppelin" - a metaphor that I always thought was quite silly, but that was the expression they used.

I'll have to give GVF a listen...

Circus by Lenny Kravitz is very Zeppelin-like in many ways, especially the production - which I believe JPJ may have had a hand in (although he isn't credited).

With regards GVF, you get a band like that every five years, everyone talks them up as the new Led Zeppelin but I just don't hear it. They sound like they've been listening to Led Zeppelin non-stop & not thought to listen to the things Zeppelin were influenced by, thus completely missing the point.

The Black Crowes album is a good shout, they're one rock band from the last 20/30 years I can listen to. Second Coming by The Stone Roses is another good one & very Page influenced.

I have to say I don't listen to much rock these days, I mean after Led Zeppelin, where is there to go?

12 minutes ago, Mook said:

Circus by Lenny Kravitz is very Zeppelin-like in many ways, especially the production - which I believe JPJ may have had a hand in (although he isn't credited).

With regards GVF, you get a band like that every five years, everyone talks them up as the new Led Zeppelin but I just don't hear it. They sound like they've been listening to Led Zeppelin non-stop & not thought to listen to the things Zeppelin were influenced by, thus completely missing the point.

The Black Crowes album is a good shout, they're one rock band from the last 20/30 years I can listen to. Second Coming by The Stone Roses is another good one & very Page influenced.

I have to say I don't listen to much rock these days, I mean after Led Zeppelin, where is there to go?

Good old Roger’s still going strong Mook

Greta Van Fleet? Ok, it's an even closer soundalikey than Kingdom Come were back in the day, but really, when it's so close vot is point?
Surely bands should use their influences (as a springboard to something of their own), not just replicate them?
Ok, it's early days for GVF and they've got plenty of time to morph into something more, but it's pretty much a Stars In Their Eyes job at the minute -
the singing is so much like Robert, I can't take it seriously.  

18 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Greta Van Fleet? Ok, it's an even closer soundalikey than Kingdom Come were back in the day, but really, when it's so close vot is point?
Surely bands should use their influences (as a springboard to something of their own), not just replicate them?
Ok, it's early days for GVF and they've got plenty of time to morph into something more, but it's pretty much a Stars In Their Eyes job at the minute -
the singing is so much like Robert, I can't take it seriously.  

I thought the singer sounded like Geddy Lee

Anything by Seth Lakeman, with his proper band. Live at the Minack perhaps. He's currently playing with Plant, although not the rest of his band, sadly. They are acoustic but sound like an express train when in full flight.

That slightly faceicious observation aside, I'm not sure what a Led Zeppelin album sounds like. No two zep albums sounded the same, which was kinda the point. If you try to copy it, you fail by definition.

49 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Haha sorry Mook. Roger Waters

Ah, that makes sense. I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, I like the Syd Barratt stuff & Meddle but that's about it.

Hope you enjoyed the game last night as much as I did btw.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:08 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I wasn't suggesting that GVF were anything close to Led Zeppelin in quality. I just meant that they were the latest to try.

Archived