Once you've collected the main collectibles, what's left to collect?

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What do you hardcore collectors go after once you've got the main items (i.e. vinyls, tshirts, ticket stubs,)?

Is it smart to go after custom made art? What's the most expensive item you've nabbed?

The broken pieces of your wallet :3stooges:

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What do you hardcore collectors go after once you've got the main items (i.e. vinyls, tshirts, ticket stubs,)?

Is it smart to go after custom made art? What's the most expensive item you've nabbed?

There are a limited number of specific items I still seek to find. The Led Zeppelin Express promotional poster for the 1975 Earls Court gigs is at the top of that list. I want one that is original and authentic, not a reproduction. Second on that list is a silver cane presented by The Everly Brother's to Peter Grant at a party following their Royal Albert Hall concert in 1995, shortly before his passing. I have asked Warren Grant about it but he said he knows nothing about it. Pretty much anything else that comes to mind is already in private collections and unlikely to become available for some time.  

Custom made art is something you purchase because you like it, not as an investment vehicle. Rock art is difficult to resell at higher value.

Off the top of my head, the most expensive item I've acquired is the signed, numbered, leather bound edition of Jimmy's book. It seems it sells these days for up to $3,000. I also have some awards, gold albums and quite a few items signed by Jimmy that would be considered high value. Otherwise value is found in the aggregate...6,000+ photos, 900+ magazines, 500+ posters, 500+ albums, 300+ promo items... 

I have recently bought (in the past 6 months or so), A Whole Lotta Led Zeppelin T-shirts.  I currently have 95 Led Zeppelin T-shirts.  I just counted them and 95 is the number.  So far I have only worn about 25 of these shirts in public.   The majority have been hanging in my closet. 

It is very much fun to have some money to buy things that makes Me happy and wear that A lot of other people might be jealous of.

7 hours ago, chef free said:

The Obelisk...

I have a knockoff that sits in our living room. It only gets moved durning Christmas.I sometimes put my hands on it and pray. I pray another March 73 show falls from the heavens  lol.

I picked it up in the late 80's from Rick in TX. I use to load up every time I received his newspaper. eBay changed all that.

I have a smallish (unorganized) collection. There's nothing in it that would surprise any serious collector on this forum. But I do treasure that "Object".

IMG_7525.JPG

11 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I've been offered originals in ex to mint condition with the original box for $2,000-$2,500. There's one on ebay right now for "$4K or make offer".

https://gotledblog.wordpress.com/the-presence-object/

Wow

Can't believe that is real. Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director and 2001 my favorite movie, which is the inspiration for the use of the obelisk. Always absolutely loved the coalesence of my two favorite "artists". Just might pounce on that one on eBay...

1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

Wow

Can't believe that is real. Stanley Kubrick is my favorite director and 2001 my favorite movie, which is the inspiration for the use of the obelisk. Always absolutely loved the coalesence of my two favorite "artists". Just might pounce on that one on eBay...

I applaud you if you are seriously conpllating spending that much coin on an Original "Object".  I have a replica of the "Object" that I am looking at as I type this.  I have had it for years and it only costs me about $50.  Me, personally, I would rather spend that much coin on Led  Zeppelin T-shirts.  Shirts that I can wear in public to let everyone know that I am a big Led Zeppelin Fan.  

Having the "Object" in a living room is one thing (which is Awesome) but wearing a different Led Zeppelin T-shirt  every day is more than Awesome.  Having over 92 different Led Zeppelin T-shirts will build anyone's popularity.

16 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Wow

The Obelisk and Bonzo dressing like a droog in 75. These guys had a serious fascination with Kubrick. I wonder if there were any legal problems with it? But you know, that rectangular black figure had been used for hundreds of years /sarcasm.

Collectors usually start a focus on a particular segment of items or a particular timeframe of the band.  Collect what makes you happy and at a means that's within your budget.  Personally, I'm all over the board from basic items to much rarer items.  Steve is correct.  There's a lot of items locked up in personal collections that won't be available again for a long time.  Best of luck in collecting the belt buckles.  Pacifica made some really cool buckles.

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

Edited by Sems Fir

16 hours ago, rm2551 said:

They are outstanding! Again, how rare/common are they and what do they go for?

Didn't know those went for that much.  I got the last one with the double neck and amp.   Bought it about ten years ago and was probably about $30.  Just wondering why they are selling for so much now!