Other cultural events while Zep was on the road

Bozoso73

Every time I see something from the years 1973 1975 1977 I always think "Where were Zep on this date?". . I thought I can't be the only one who does this. . So I'll start. . 

I was looking at the web and seen that Zeppelin was playing their first night in Landover, MD the night Star Wars hit the masses. . May 25, 1977. . 

42 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

not really the point I was making Steve. . 

You can work backwards from the details in those lists and tie them to Zep shows. For instance, the moon landing occurred on 7/21/69 when Zep were in NYC. Chappaquiddick, (Mary Jo Kopechne died when a car driven byTed Kennedy went off a bridge), occurred a few days later on 7/25/69 when Zep was playing in Milwaukee. Both of those were important cultural events at the time, and are still well known today (there's a movie about Chappaquiddick that's currently in theaters.) 

2 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Every time I see something from the years 1973 1975 1977 I always think "Where were Zep on this date?". . I thought I can't be the only one who does this. . So I'll start. . 

I was looking at the web and seen that Zeppelin was playing their first night in Landover, MD the night Star Wars hit the masses. . May 25, 1977. . 

Not every time but often times if for some reason a date is mentioned between 1968-1980 I do immediately recall where they were.

6 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

You can work backwards from the details in those lists and tie them to Zep shows. For instance, the moon landing occurred on 7/21/69 when Zep were in NYC. Chappaquiddick, (Mary Jo Kopechne died when a car driven byTed Kennedy went off a bridge), occurred a few days later on 7/25/69 when Zep was playing in Milwaukee. Both of those were important cultural events at the time, and are still well known today (there's a movie about Chappaquiddick that's currently in theaters.) 

The moon shot show was Cleveland. Robert still recalls it well. The Eagle landed on the  lunar surface at 20:18 GMT. Armstrong set foot on the moon at 2:56 GMT, 7/21/69.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-20-1969

One piece of trivia which is kinda funky. When Zep were playing there legendary LA Forum show on June 21st 1977, Elvis was playing Rapid City SD and the Kings final show was on June 26th, 1977 in Indianapolis.

I keep track of the history of rock bands and rock albums.  The timing and progression of events and trends is interesting.  Here are a few examples.

August 1968  Truth by Jeff Beck was released.  Zeppelin were rehearsing for their first tour.  

October 16, 1968 Electric Ladyland by Hendrix was released.  Oct 18 Zeppelin played the Marquee Club in London

Nov 22, 1968 The White Album by the Beatles was released.  Nov 23 Zeppelin played Sheffield Univ

Dec 6, 1968 Beggar's Banquet was released.  Dec 10 Zep played the Marquee Club 

Feb 5, 1969 Goodbye Cream was released.  Feb 2 Zep played Toronto and Feb 7 they played the Kinetic Playground in Chicago

May 23, 1969 Tommy by the Who was released.   On the same day Zep played the Kinetic Playground in Chicago  

June 1969 Beck - ola was released.  Zep were on their fourth UK tour, including BBC appearances

Sept 26, 1969 Abbey Road was released.  Zeppelin were getting ready to go to the Netherlands and Paris for a few shows, Oct 3 - 5, Oct 10.

January 9, 1970  The first Black Sabbath single (Wicked World/Evil Woman) was released.  Page turned 26 and Zeppelin played the Royal Albert Hall

Feb 13, 1970 Black Sabbath the album was released.  Zep played Edinburg on Feb 17  

Sept 18, 1970 Paranoid the album was released.  Jimi Hendrix died.   Sept 19, 1970 Zeppelin played two shows at Madison Square Garden. 

July 28, 1973  Zeppelin at the triumphant end of their record breaking North American tour.  Second of three nights at Madison Square Garden.

In upstate New York at Watkins Glen, 600,000 fans gathered to hear the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, and The Band.

The summer of 1977 was crazy in New York City.  Son of Sam was terrorizing the city - he was captured on August 10.  July 13 - 14 was the big blackout followed by looting.  July 13 - 21 was the worst heat wave in the city's history.  For 9 days the high temperature averaged 97.1 F, and it was very humid.  Zeppelin had played their biggest tour ever that spring and summer. 

April 8, 1977 The Clash released their first album.  Zeppelin was in between gigs in Chicago.  April 9 was the night Jimmy collapsed. 

June 10, 1977 the Apple II computer was launched.  Zeppelin played their third sold out night at Madison Square Garden.

The spring and summer of 1977 saw the huge Animals tour by Pink Floyd.  Here are the dates and venues.   Many well known Zeppelin dates in this list.

(January - April was the Animals tour in Europe)

22 April 1977      Miami   United States     Miami Baseball Stadium

24 April 1977      Tampa, Florida  Tampa Stadium

26 April 1977      Atlanta The Omni

28 April 1977      Baton Rouge, Louisiana LSU Assembly Center

30 April 1977      Houston               Jeppesen Stadium

1 May 1977         Fort Worth, Texas            Tarrant County Convention Center

4 May 1977         Phoenix, Arizona              Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum

6 May 1977         Anaheim, California         Anaheim Stadium

7 May 1977

9 May 1977         Oakland, California          Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum

10 May 1977

12 May 1977       Portland, Oregon             Memorial Coliseum

15 June 1977      Milwaukee         County Stadium

17 June 1977      Louisville, Kentucky        Freedom Hall

19 June 1977      Chicago Soldier Field

21 June 1977      Kansas City, Missouri      Kemper Arena

23 June 1977      Cincinnati            Riverfront Coliseum

25 June 1977      Cleveland            Municipal Stadium (World Series of Rock)

27 June 1977      Boston  Boston Garden

28 June 1977      Philadelphia       The Spectrum

29 June 1977

1 July 1977          New York City    Madison Square Garden

2 July 1977

3 July 1977

4 July 1977

6 July 1977          Montreal             Canada Olympic Stadium

The fall of 1971 was a busy time in music.

Oct 31, 1971 Meddle was released

Nov 8 Led Zeppelin "IV" was released

Nov 11 Zeppelin starts it UK tour

Nov 12 Fragile by Yes is released, Zep plays Sunderland

Nov 17 The Faces release "A Nod's as Good as a Wink. . . to a Blind Horse" - Zep plays Birmingham

Sometime in Nov - ELP releases Pictures at an Exhibition

Then we move into 1972

Feb - Zep tours Australia

March 25, 1972 Deep Purple releases Machine Head

June 16 David Bowie releases Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Zep play Nassau Coliseum June 15 and Portland, Oregon June 17.  Not a bad 3 days for rock music.   

During the 1977 US tour, these albums topped the Billboard chart.

Weeks of

Apr 2 , Apr 9  Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Apr 16 - May 14 The Eagles - Hotel California

May 21 - July 9 Rumours

July 16 - Barry Manilow Live

July 23 - Rumours   (Rumours went on to top the charts every week through the week of Nov 20.)

March 1 - Dark Side of the Moon is released.  Zep gets ready for their tour of Europe.  Houses of the Holy released March 28, 1973, one month before the big US tour.

Dark Side was Number 1 the week of April 28. 

Elvis' double Live from Hawaii album was number 1 the week of May 5. 

Houses was number one the weeks of May 12 and May 19, only to be knocked off by The Beatles 1967-70 collection then by Paul McCartney and Wings Red Rose Speedway, followed by George Harrison's Living in the Material World during late June and well into July.  For the last week in July when Zeppelin finished their tour, filmed the shows and got robbed, the number one album was Chicago VI.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:40 PM, SteveAJones said:

The moon shot show was Cleveland. Robert still recalls it well. The Eagle landed on the  lunar surface at 20:18 GMT. Armstrong set foot on the moon at 2:56 GMT, 7/21/69.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-20-1969

Besides being a Led head, I am a HUGE HUGE Apollo fan. Can you provide a link that details what plant said about the Landings, what he recalls about it? Thanks!

Archived