Can we stop with Elvis being “King” of Rock and Roll

TheMadIrishman

1 minute ago, Sems Fir said:

Chuck was certainly a pioneer in the early days of what would become the genre known as rock and roll.  However, I don't believe Chuck (or very few artists at all) will ever conquer these numbers in the next couple of decades.  https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one-billion-record-sales.shtml

Robert

www.anextranickel.com

Dammit, Sems Fir don'tcha know DipMan has already decreed that sales figures, back catalog, and overall IMPACT on American, indeed global culture does not matter. IT HAS TO BE ABOUT RACE and as such the My Ding a Ling Man is The King of Rock effective immediately. Pull those Elvis statues down now!

8 hours ago, mknopfler said:

You NOW say that Elvis "owed no one anything regarding civil rights" but earlier you said:

"Yes, he sang a very moving song but he never risked a damn thing, nothing yet he of all people had the power, the real power to make a difference. 

This is a very puzzling question indeed. Elvis hung out at the juke joints before he was famous and frequently and freely mingled in the black community. I would never call Elvis a racist, quite the opposite yet he never lent his voice to the civil right's movement.

Very strange indeed." 

You should actually go back and read your own posts, you contradict yourself. But people grasping for straws in a losing battle will lie or say anything to attempt saving face. Not very strange indeed,  just sad really.

Yes and I stand by it. Please show me where, anywhere I said Elvis owed anyone anything or that he was obligated to participate in the civil right's movement. I never said any such thing, I simply asked why a man who was so inclusive and was not a racist did not do more. It is an interesting question no? But again, nowhere did I state Elvis was obligated to anything.

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

23 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Dammit, Sems Fir don'tcha know DipMan has already decreed that sales figures, back catalog, and overall IMPACT on American, indeed global culture does not matter. IT HAS TO BE ABOUT RACE and as such the My Ding a Ling Man is The King of Rock effective immediately. Pull those Elvis statues down now!

I never said any such thing Steve, I believe you should calm down before you get the vapors.

Talk about a drama queen

Obviously, MLK Jr is the king of rock and roll.

Elvis- Couldn't really write songs. Couldn't really play an instrument. "King Of Rock And Roll" because he copied something that had already been done so it could be marketed to suburban white kids. This discussion was over before it started.  Elvis- King of Country Crooners. Poster-boy for early rock and roll.

19 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Obviously, MLK Jr is the king of rock and roll.

Elvis- Couldn't really write songs. Couldn't really play an instrument. "King Of Rock And Roll" because he copied something that had already been done so it could be marketed to suburban white kids. This discussion was over before it started.  Elvis- King of Country Crooners. Poster-boy for early rock and roll.

Does it mean anything that RP, JP, The Beatles, and however many dozens more have unending adulating praise for Elvis? Are they missing something?

5 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

If Elvis is the king of rock then is Hendrix the king of the blues? You know, since he brought it into the mainstream and inspired so many. Forget about the purists who did it before him. 

Sorry, but you are astonishingly stupid when it comes to the history of popular music. It's not just that Elvis Presley brought rock into the mainstream, he epitomized, popularized and arguably created the whole concept of being a rock star. Aside from all of that, Hendrix did not bring the blues into the mainstream. There were bands called The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds and The Animals  -- among several others -- who were actively releasing and performing blues songs while Hendrix was still in high school. If you're going to join in on a discussion, please get a clue first.  

13 hours ago, mknopfler said:

P.S. While researching Chuck's various criminal activities I did come across a few references to videos and pictures of Mr. Berry engaging in his predilection for coprophagia, 

That is horrifying.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:00 PM, SteveAJones said:

He's not the King of Songwriting, he's The King of Rock n' Roll. Elvis Presley epitomized rock n' roll and was the first global pop music celebrity/icon.   

Hold on, you just went in three different directions. "Elvis couldn't write rock and roll songs but he was the king of rock and roll" lol, does that not sound completely absurd to you?

"Epitomized" rock and roll? Does Pavarotti epitomize opera? 

"first global pop music celebrity/icon." No one is arguing that. Definitely king of pop.

5 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

. It's not just that Elvis Presley brought rock into the mainstream, he epitomized, popularized and arguably created the whole concept of being a rock star. 

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with the music itself, which existed and was more embellished outside of Elvis Presley. That's the whole point you're missing. Ok, Elvis wins the popularity contest when it comes to being marketed for early rock and roll. Is that what you want to hear? Elvis got laid more so he's the King of rock and roll? No one with a brain in their head will say Elvis either invented rock and roll or was a purist in the genre, even early rock. Country Crooner Rockabilly. 

Steve-o, it's obvious you and I are arguing different points. You're saying Elvis was the king of rock and roll because of his attitude and persona. I'm saying Elvis was as rock and roll as a country crooner thrown into a rockabilly/skiffle band and marketed as "rock and roll" to capitalize on a musical market.

40 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Does it mean anything that RP, JP, The Beatles, and however many dozens more have unending adulating praise for Elvis? Are they missing something?

Don't get me wrong, Elvis was the most influential musician of his era. But he, himself, was as rock and roll as Steven Seagal was a fighter.

28 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Steve-o, it's obvious you and I are arguing different points. You're saying Elvis was the king of rock and roll because of his attitude and persona. I'm saying Elvis was as rock and roll as a country crooner thrown into a rockabilly/skiffle band and marketed as "rock and roll" to capitalize on a musical market.

I said he is acclaimed as the King of Rock for his IMPACT. He became, was and remains the ORIGINAL rock icon. He wasn't marketed as rock 'n' roll because before Elvis Presley there was no mainstream rock 'n' roll market. You guys keep banging the drum about how Elvis was not a songwriter, but I never said he was. You guys keep repeating he wasn't accomplished on any musical instruments -- he was a vocalist! The guitar-dominated rock landscape you are so familiar with today did not exist in the 1950s. For THAT Chuck Berry deserves considerable credit. Put differently, IMHO Elvis created the genre, Chuck shaped it. 

29 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Don't get me wrong, Elvis was the most influential musician of his era. But he, himself, was as rock and roll as Steven Seagal was a fighter.

Steven Seagal is an akido master who speaks Japanese fluently. You may want to make a comparison that supports your opinion.

No, we can't. You can whine and throw a tantrum all you want, but Elvis ain't going anywhere. He won't be forgotten no matter how many people like you wish otherwise. You and your ilk will be worm food decades from now and Elvis will still hold sway.

I say this as a Chuck Berry fan...and all the others: Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbinson.

But Elvis Presley goes beyond mere musical impact. He changed everything.

No less than John Lennon recognized that fact.

Archived