Any bluegrass fans?

gibsonfan159

Tony Rice, Dan Crary, Don Reno, Clarence White, Flatt and Scruggs.  I also like Doc Watson and Norman Blake but they are not really bluegrass

For newer groups I like Monroe Crossing and Steep Canyon Rangers, although at this point they are not really new any more. 

Hillbilly Gypsies are very energetic and less polished than most of the newer bands.  I like that.

My favorite recordings are the old ones from the 40s and 50s.  Before bluegrass got slick and polished like today.

Edited by John M

3 hours ago, John M said:

My favorite recordings are the old ones from the 40s and 50s.  Before bluegrass got slick and polished like today.

Right on. I rarely listen to anything post 1980 unless they can accurately nail the old traditional sound. My main problem with the modern stuff is the lack of character from the vocalists. All the male singers just sound like some random guy, no character or distinction to their voice at all. A lot of modern groups also go about it like they're playing classical music and have to make it sound overly complicated. 

I just love love love Del McCoury!  He has a show on SiriusXM that I just learned about...very fun show!  :)  Also love Flatt And Scruggs!  

Go to something near where I live (Austin) called 'Old Settler's Music Fest' and have seen many bluegrass artists including Mr. McCoury.  :)

On 4/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, MarthaMyDear6 said:

I just love love love Del McCoury!  He has a show on SiriusXM that I just learned about...very fun show!  :)  Also love Flatt And Scruggs!  

Go to something near where I live (Austin) called 'Old Settler's Music Fest' and have seen many bluegrass artists including Mr. McCoury.  :)

I live in Del's hometown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...