Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
irondirigible

I've heard many live versions of No Quarter, but the best still might be on The Song Remains The Same album.

Recommended Posts

The performance on TSRTS It seems like a perfect version in almost every respect.  Vocals, keyboards, awesome.  It rocks at certain points and it has that creepy, beautiful, almost soothing vibe as well.

I do enjoy checking out many of the live version of the song which are easy to access.  Most run from 20 to 33 minutes or thereabouts. 

Is it true that there is a version that clocks over 40 minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually listening to the TSRTS version for the first time in many years right now. It still kicks ass. Sadly no, there are no versions that run over 40 minutes. The longest one is from 1977/06/22, which if I remember right runs approx. 36 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it is good, the drum groove after the first few minutes is my fave on  Kezar '73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7-28-73 is perfect, no doubt.  But 7-29-73 is almost as good, and there are many other truly great versions from '73 and '75 (at which stage it was basically a different song).  The 40 minute versions are a myth, probably started in Luis Rey's book.  The '77 versions were in the 32 minute range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

I'm actually listening to the TSRTS version for the first time in many years right now. It still kicks ass. Sadly no, there are no versions that run over 40 minutes. The longest one is from 1977/06/22, which if I remember right runs approx. 36 minutes.

Just over 34 actually, I'm pretty sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

7-28-73 is perfect, no doubt.  But 7-29-73 is almost as good, and there are many other truly great versions from '73 and '75 (at which stage it was basically a different song).  The 40 minute versions are a myth, probably started in Luis Rey's book.  The '77 versions were in the 32 minute range.

Probably someone just rounding up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, irondirigible said:

Probably someone just rounding up

Rey said the 6-23-77 version was 40 minutes long, if I recall it's "only" around 32 minutes.  Even if you include banter/Plantations, it seems clear he was exaggerating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Dancing Avocado.

*Edit: obviously posted to wrong thread....

Edited by rm2551

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the OP - TSRTS version, the original 1976 mix/edit, is the best. Happy to have so many versions available on bootlegs, but the official one still is tops IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im really not trying to be negative just point out that there are a ton of No Quarter threads that have been started. Im thinking like 1 to 2 threads a month are started and the topic references NQ This must be evidence this is a fav song among die hards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cosmic_juice said:

Im really not trying to be negative just point out that there are a ton of No Quarter threads that have been started. Im thinking like 1 to 2 threads a month are started and the topic references NQ This must be evidence this is a fav song among die hards

I was thinking the same thing lol.  And yeah, I'd say it's a favourite among die-hards--how could it not be?  Plus, it's one of, if not the best ones to discuss on a forum like this because it varied quite a bit from show to show, and was pretty consistently well-performed.

As for the OP's assertion that the original TSRTS version is the best, I personally prefer the 7/21/73 Providence version ever so slightly for the shorter early versions, but the gap between the two is so small that I understand why the vast difference in sound quality would make the difference for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Rey said the 6-23-77 version was 40 minutes long, if I recall it's "only" around 32 minutes.  Even if you include banter/Plantations, it seems clear he was exaggerating.  

6/23/77 is somewhere between 30 & 31 minutes long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×