How likely is it that I could get Page to sign my guitar?

Galymcd

Hello forum, first post! I was curious- I have a special guitar that I got signed by G.E. Smith, Joe Bonamossa, Joe Satriani, and Steve Miller (long story but I'll post about it upon request). I wanted to add Page's signature to it, but I know that might not be so simple. First, he lives in England. That's obviously an issue since I live in the United States, but a trip to Europe may very well be in the cards for me in the near future regardless, which inspired me to write this post. Is it possible to meet him at all on that basis or is he just simply too busy or valuing of his alone time to really care? Where might be the best place to meet him if this is even possible on a theoretical level?

Second, this is simply from what I've heard, but I've heard that Jimmy Page REALLY doesn't like signing things. From what I understand, this is due to the fact that most people who have stuff signed by him immediately turn around and sell it on eBay or the like. I don't feel like this will be an issue though seeing as I got FOUR signatures from well-known, respected musicians and haven't sold it since I acquired said guitar (and signatures) in 2015, with NO intents on ever selling it. Just too sentimental and extraordinary for me to give up. But I can't say for sure if the reason I gave is actually the true for his reluctance to sign things or not.

What do you guys think? Any insight on how likely it is to make my dream come true? Just be honest with me if this is a pipe dream or not. Photo of guitar attached below for authenticity.

Thanks!

nyguitar.jpg

2 hours ago, Galymcd said:

Hello forum, first post! I was curious- I have a special guitar that I got signed by G.E. Smith, Joe Bonamossa, Joe Satriani, and Steve Miller (long story but I'll post about it upon request). I wanted to add Page's signature to it, but I know that might not be so simple. First, he lives in England. That's obviously an issue since I live in the United States, but a trip to Europe may very well be in the cards for me in the near future regardless, which inspired me to write this post. Is it possible to meet him at all on that basis or is he just simply too busy or valuing of his alone time to really care? Where might be the best place to meet him if this is even possible on a theoretical level?

Second, this is simply from what I've heard, but I've heard that Jimmy Page REALLY doesn't like signing things. From what I understand, this is due to the fact that most people who have stuff signed by him immediately turn around and sell it on eBay or the like. I don't feel like this will be an issue though seeing as I got FOUR signatures from well-known, respected musicians and haven't sold it since I acquired said guitar (and signatures) in 2015, with NO intents on ever selling it. Just too sentimental and extraordinary for me to give up. But I can't say for sure if the reason I gave is actually the true for his reluctance to sign things or not.

What do you guys think? Any insight on how likely it is to make my dream come true? Just be honest with me if this is a pipe dream or not. Photo of guitar attached below for authenticity.

Thanks!

nyguitar.jpg

As likely as him ever playing the guitar. Save your money man.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

As likely as him ever playing the guitar. Save your money man.

Does he expect money to sign it? I guess if you're talking about the trip in the future, I'm still going to Europe regardless. But thanks anyways for the advice.

Either way, if anyone else got ideas, including none at all, I'd like to hear it so I know what I'm up against. 

You could give him a knock at the Town House, just hope that Ross doesn't answer the door. Seriously though, you're right it's a pipe dream..

3 hours ago, Galymcd said:

Either way, if anyone else got ideas, including none at all, I'd like to hear it so I know what I'm up against. 

Here's the deal with Jimmy, the professional autograph hunters have ruined it for everyone. He essentially adopted a "no autographs" policy around the time of the It Might Get Loud premiers (2008) because of them and is not likely to reconsider.

On very rare occasions he does continue to sign autographs for the public, but it is few and far between. Encountering him is not that difficult, the challenge is to have a compelling reason for him to sign. For example, when he was in Los Angeles promoting his book he hand signed a copy of the book for a fan who arranged thru Ross Halfin to present him with a couple of rare, authentic Led Zeppelin posters at the hotel.

If I was a betting man, you're best hope is to contact his girlfriend, Scarlett Sabett, and offer to make a considerable donation to one of his or her favorite charities in exchange for an autograph. Even in the very remote possibility they agree to it, I would not necessarily expect it to entail any personal meeting with him.

My advice? There are plenty of authentic Jimmy Page autographs in existence, so just find one, buy it and call it done. 

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Here's the deal with Jimmy, the professional autograph hunters have ruined it for everyone. He essentially adopted a "no autographs" policy around the time of the It Might Get Loud premiers (2008) because of them and is not likely to reconsider.

Yeah, I kinda figured that from what I heard.

Encountering him is not that difficult,

I wonder where you could run into him, either in the U.S. or U.K.? I know he doesn't really tour these days.

If I was a betting man, you're best hope is to contact his girlfriend, Scarlett Sabett, and offer to make a considerable donation to one of his or her favorite charities in exchange for an autograph. Even in the very remote possibility they agree to it, I would not necessarily expect it to entail any personal meeting with him.

Hmm, do you think she'd respond over Twitter? If not, does she have a publicly available contact info like email? How much is a "considerable" donation to him? I mean, I was no stranger to spend money to get THIS guitar and get it signed, either, so maybe I have the budget for it- not that I wish to imply that I have tens of thousands of dollars to throw down for a signature. But hey, besides, how much would the guitar be worth if I DID manage to pull it off and get it signed by him? 

My advice? There are plenty of authentic Jimmy Page autographs in existence, so just find one, buy it and call it done. 

I don't disagree, its the long shot of all long shots. But so were getting the four signatures already on it, too. I do expect to temper expectations here, but I do have to admit, this is a pretty remarkable little instrument that its obvious I NEVER want to sell. Plus, it was NEVER about how much the instrument was worth to me- just the stories that I could get to tell with it. I guess I wouldn't at least try if I didn't feel like I had a chance. But hey, even if he didn't wanna sign it, I could still get a picture with him! That'd be a good consolation!

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely consider your advice!

You dont want to sell it. But the more signatures you collect on it, the greater it's value until one day you may decide you can't afford not to sell it.

id say you'd have more chance of getting it signed if you were to sell it for charity. Otherwise it really isn't going to happen, otherwise many other people would be doing the same thing 

4 minutes ago, jsj said:

You dont want to sell it. But the more signatures you collect on it, the greater it's value until one day you may decide you can't afford not to sell it.

id say you'd have more chance of getting it signed if you were to sell it for charity. Otherwise it really isn't going to happen, otherwise many other people would be doing the same thing 

Maybe this is just my stubborn ways, but I'd go homeless if it meant that I would have to sell that guitar in order to not be. It's ALREADY is worth more than any money in the world to me. Page's signature would make it priceless in a way. Or I could just give it to one of my many living relatives for safe keeping. But yeah, maybe he'll really only sign in most instances for charity. Perhaps you're right.

1 hour ago, jsj said:

The more signatures you collect on it, the greater it's value until one day you may decide you can't afford not to sell it.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Me personally, if multiple people have signed a single item there has to be some distinct connection between them to appeal to me as a collector. For example, if an item is signed by Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones the connection is clear. An item signed by assorted rock stars...not so much. Granted, if I was the one to obtain those random signatures then sure, I'm going to have an inherent pride of ownership. My regret is many of the things I have had Jimmy sign for me are Led Zeppelin era photos of him and Robert which I also intended to have Robert sign but never got around to it. Now that I live in Japan, well who knows if and when I'll ever encounter Robert Plant again. I probably will not. Oh well, that's life. You never see a hearse pulling a U Haul trailer.  

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Me personally, if multiple people have signed a single item there has to be some distinct connection between them to appeal to me as a collector. For example, if an item is signed by Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones the connection is clear. An item signed by assorted rock stars...not so much. Granted, if I was the one to obtain those random signatures then sure, I'm going to have an inherent pride of ownership. My regret is many of the things I have had Jimmy sign for me are Led Zeppelin era photos of him and Robert which I also intended to have Robert sign but never got around to it. Now that I live in Japan, well who knows if and when I'll ever encounter Robert Plant again. I probably will not. Oh well, that's life. You never see a hearse pulling a U Haul trailer.  

To be fair, the connection here was that I went to Les Paul's 100th birthday bash in New York City and the assorted guitarists there showed up. I caught them as they were walking out of the Hard Rock Cafe in Manhattan and got the four signatures that very night. Best night of my life. Sure, most people might not know that, but at least they were all guitarists, which is whom I plan to have sign my guitar (though I do live in Texas- if I can get Billy Gibbons to sign it, I'm sure as hell not gonna deny Dusty Hill either).

Also, you actually got Jimmy to sign something??? Bad ASS! Sucks you didn't get Plant's signature though. Feel for ya.

5 hours ago, Galymcd said:

Also, you actually got Jimmy to sign something??? Bad ASS! Sucks you didn't get Plant's signature though. Feel for ya.

Jimmy has signed several things for me. I have many things signed by Robert, just not the items I intended to have him sign too.  

24 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy has signed several things for me. I have many things signed by Robert, just not the items I intended to have him sign too.  

Unrelated, but of curiosity, does Page or Plant remember you? They must have after all the times you came up to him if what you say is true. Also, how did you meet them anyways?

1 hour ago, Galymcd said:

Unrelated, but of curiosity, does Page or Plant remember you? They must have after all the times you came up to him if what you say is true. Also, how did you meet them anyways?

It was Jimmy who offered to sign several items for me and it occurred at his home at the time, The Old Mill House in Clewer Village near Windsor. The last time I spoke to Robert was at Cadillac's 100th Anniversary Celebration. I could have had things signed  that day but chose instead just to welcome him to the event. I filmed his meet & greet with the public as well as the two radio interviews that he conducted in the atrium. One of these days I'll release all of that footage as well as the radio interviews. I saw him offstage at various venues on tour in the UK/Europe in 2002 & 2005 but he was always in a rush so I didn't bother him.  

It was when Jimmy lived at the Old Mill House that I wrote to him and he signed a drawing I'd done (a tracing of a characture of him, I have no artistic skills) and he posted it back to me. 

It was after Bonham died, a national paper printed the address of Jimmys house in a report and as a naive 15 year old, I thought Bingo! and gave it a shot and got lucky.

Galymcd, in the event you do get closer to your aim, it may help your cause if you want it signed to you, rather than just his signature on it. 

Any object signed to "Trevor" isn't as desirable to a general collector, except if the collector is also named Trevor 

23 hours ago, jsj said:

Galymcd, in the event you do get closer to your aim, it may help your cause if you want it signed to you, rather than just his signature on it. 

Any object signed to "Trevor" isn't as desirable to a general collector, except if the collector is also named Trevor 

That is true. I may consider telling him that if I ever do get near him.

23 hours ago, jsj said:

It was when Jimmy lived at the Old Mill House that I wrote to him and he signed a drawing I'd done (a tracing of a characture of him, I have no artistic skills) and he posted it back to me. 

It was after Bonham died, a national paper printed the address of Jimmys house in a report and as a naive 15 year old, I thought Bingo! and gave it a shot and got lucky.

Would you happen to know where he lives now? Or does he still go back to that old house? I do know he owns a lot of homes.

6 hours ago, Galymcd said:

Would you happen to know where he lives now? Or does he still go back to that old house? I do know he owns a lot of homes.

I do know where he lives now. He does have a few homes. AFAIK, he hasn't returned to Old Mill House since moving out it in Summer 2007.

14 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

a9a607961222feea530d6478bf2f8132.gif

Hey dude, he must have released his address to newspapers and he makes a big deal about the places he lives at. He even purported to own THE house that was once owned by Aleister Crowley. Its not necessarily a top-secret, hush hush thing. Being approached by people constantly is part of being famous (which, to be fair, is why I would HATE being famous- not to imply that I ever could be). Besides, its not like I wanna stalk the guy, I just wanna know where I can find him and get a signature- nothing more. It doesn't even HAVE to be his house.

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I do know where he lives now. He does have a few homes. AFAIK, he hasn't returned to Old Mill House since moving out it in Summer 2007.

Hm. I do respect the man's privacy and thinking about it honestly, I would hate having random people knocking on my door too. Are there any public functions he might be going to soon? You know, organized meet n' greets for his fans or something of that nature? I guess you'd be a good person to ask given your clear background with the band itself, though maybe being in Japan might've complicated that issue, to be fair.

10 hours ago, Galymcd said:

Hm. I do respect the man's privacy and thinking about it honestly, I would hate having random people knocking on my door too. Are there any public functions he might be going to soon? You know, organized meet n' greets for his fans or something of that nature? I guess you'd be a good person to ask given your clear background with the band itself, though maybe being in Japan might've complicated that issue, to be fair.

Aside from Led Zeppelin promotional duties, which will be announced once confirmed, many of his public appearances nowadays involve his girlfriend's activities (Scarlett Sabet). For example, she was in Seattle and San Francisco for a few days recently for poetry readings and Jimmy accompanied her on that trip. It may be helpful for you to follow her on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ScarlettSabet 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Aside from Led Zeppelin promotional duties, which will be announced once confirmed, many of his public appearances nowadays involve his girlfriend's activities (Scarlett Sabet). For example, she was in Seattle and San Francisco for a few days recently for poetry readings and Jimmy accompanied her on that trip. It may be helpful for you to follow her on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/ScarlettSabet 

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind, thanks a ton.

Archived