Are there any songs that you feel just don't work when played live?

irondirigible

Dancing Days, Battle Of Evermore, When the levee breaks, Over the hills and far away (only for the versions after 1972 because Plant couldn't hit the high notes anymore), Ten Years Gone, Sick Again, In The Evening

Rock and Roll post 1973 - mostly due to Plant's voice, plus it became a bit tired as a setlist encore.

OTHAFA to me always sounded a bit 'scratchy' live, as does TSRTS. The studio versions aren't as heavy, but sound fuller and lusher.

Dazed and Confused post 1973  should have been dropped from the set. The 1975 versions are just too unwieldy.

3 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

Rock and Roll post 1973 - mostly due to Plant's voice, plus it became a bit tired as a setlist encore.

OTHAFA to me always sounded a bit 'scratchy' live, as does TSRTS. The studio versions aren't as heavy, but sound fuller and lusher.

Dazed and Confused post 1973  should have been dropped from the set. The 1975 versions are just too unwieldy.

So funny you should say that as I detest the studio versions of both TSRTS & The Rain Song. Plant sings like he has a dick up his ass while stoned on quaaludes for both of those songs. Absolutely horrible vocals especially on The Rain Song. The live versions the band just, well...comes alive and the performance and especially the vocals are so much more powerful.

I would go even further than that, everything on the studio version of The Rain Song is so absolutely horrible that I've resorted to pouring sulphuric acid into my ears every time it comes on.

Disgraceful attempt at music & I hope they're all ashamed of themselves.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

So funny you should say that as I detest the studio versions of both TSRTS & The Rain Song. Plant sings like he has a dick up his ass while stoned on quaaludes for both of those songs. Absolutely horrible vocals especially on The Rain Song. The live versions the band just, well...comes alive and the performance and especially the vocals are so much more powerful.

Couldn't disagree more...

Studio version of TSRTS is one of the greatest guitar songs of all time. Absolutely incredible. It feels like a noticeable amount of your posts bring up Page or Plant's genetalia...Plant once stated The Rain Song could be his finest vocal performance, and I have to agree. I think it's really something special that he pulled off. 

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

I can never listen to those two songs the same way again! Funny shit!

4 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

HotH songs either work great live or don't... The Rain Song is magnificent live, but I would have preferred it if OTHAFA had been dropped after 1975.

WTF?  You  say  that  you  like  the  75  OTHAFA  versions  more  than  77???  Plant's  voice  was  not  in  good  shape  in  1975  and  Jimmy  did  some  flubs  and  terrible  solos. Also, Plant  sometimes  missed  the  lyrics.  The  1977  versions  have  brillinat, fast  solos  (except  Seattle)  and  Plant  got  his  voice  back, compared  to  75. Actually, the  best ever  OTHAFA  solo  was  done  on  6/22/77.

3 hours ago, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

I can never listen to those two songs the same way again! Funny shit!

THANKS, IPMAN!

I can tolerate TSRTS, but I also do not like the album version of The Rain Song. As a matter of fact, I always hated the damn song until I started listening to the bootlegs and realized just how beautiful and intricate it was.

1 hour ago, confounded_bridge said:

Generally, most  of  their  songs  were  better  live  than  studio. Whoever  believes  that  Zeppelin  were  a  studio  band, is  not  a  real  fan.

Zep made me realize that an "Album" was only a promotional tool to get people to the live show. It was an advertisement. Don't get me wrong, I know these bands poured their heart and soul into every album, but there's no denying that these guys were secretly saying "Wait til they come to hear it live, we'll blow them away".

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes yes yes! 100% agree, especially on TSRTS. I enjoy the studio version of The Rain Song fine, but the live versions are way better. I feel even more strongly about TSRTS. After listening to a bunch of live versions, the studio version of that song is just about unlistenable for me. Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to speed/pitch up Plant's vocals? It sounds horrible! Like a chipmunk, or like he just inhaled helium...or Geddy Lee! :lol: If he couldn't get that high without artificial help, why not just lower the octave or something? Anything would have been better than what they went with. Gah!

8 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Couldn't disagree more...

Studio version of TSRTS is one of the greatest guitar songs of all time. Absolutely incredible. It feels like a noticeable amount of your posts bring up Page or Plant's genetalia...Plant once stated The Rain Song could be his finest vocal performance, and I have to agree. I think it's really something special that he pulled off. 

Whoa there buddy, I was simply taking the piss as I do not like Plant's artificial pitch induced vocals especially on TRS, and the break which Plant just nails so powerfully is just way too laid back on the studio version. I respect your opinion but lighten up for crying out loud.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Whoa there buddy, I was simply taking the piss as I do not like Plant's artificial pitch induced vocals especially on TRS, and the break which Plant just nails so powerfully is just way too laid back on the studio version. I respect your opinion but lighten up for crying out loud.

"Absolutely horrible vocals especially on the Rain Song" aren't words I thought I'd ever hear in life.

I think Plant might've sounded better with no touch ups but I like the speeded up pitch on this song. Every instrument gets toyed with, the guitar tone is different on every song, the drums are very often varied, I don't find it blasphemous to toy with the vocals here and there on an album in the name of painting a complete picture and sonic landscape for a song. That's what I think they were going for on that first one, a real rush of a song, and a very bright one, and the effects on the vocals add to that imo.

Archived