09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Pretty fuckin good right there! Thank you for sharing the link.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I ripped and the copy I bought off Ebay from Japan, made the video, posted it on youtube, then shared the link. 😉

Edited by mknopfler

Is Page gonna bootleg the bootleggers (to steal the name from a Johnny Thunders album) and get this out before EV? Highly doubt it, but man he is falling behind the 8 ball. This is like a holy grail man and has been talked about since the 70s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone!

I love to do remasters of Zeppelin live shows. So far I've only lurked through the forum, this is my first actual post. I was wondering if anyone could send me the lossless source of the new Stairway to Heaven from Osaka 9/29, the new multitrack that EV put out? It would be HUGELY appreciated, as I am working on a '71 soundboard compilation and would love to use Stairway from this show!

1 hour ago, Sue Dounim said:

it's not multitrack, it's a stereo soundboard. The multitrack mixdown is what's already been circulating for eons

Oh! My bad, I had figured that the old recording was a crummy soundboard feed, or perhaps even a REALLY high-gen transfer of the stereo soundboard as we are now hearing it.

3 hours ago, Jason Khavari said:

Oh! My bad, I had figured that the old recording was a crummy soundboard feed, or perhaps even a REALLY high-gen transfer of the stereo soundboard as we are now hearing it.

In fact the two recordings have nothing to do with each other: the multi was commissioned by Warner Pioneer Japan and the new SB is most likely coming from the band's Revox reel to reel deck. The balance on the two recordings is completely different (Percy's vox is almost absent in the louder parts, cymbals are overwhelming). In my humble guesstimate, carefully martrixing  the two sources would yield the closest thing to an unofficial How the East was won. The stereo separation, audience noise and hall ambience  from the patchy multi track source and the detailed and well balanced music  signal from the newly unearthed soundboard, together would give us a much more satisfying representation of the gig. Assuming the SB reels are covering most of the show (which I doubt, since the three North American 71 boards are incomplete)

We'll see...

6 hours ago, duckman said:

In fact the two recordings have nothing to do with each other: the multi was commissioned by Warner Pioneer Japan and the new SB is most likely coming from the band's Revox reel to reel deck. The balance on the two recordings is completely different (Percy's vox is almost absent in the louder parts, cymbals are overwhelming). In my humble guesstimate, carefully martrixing  the two sources would yield the closest thing to an unofficial How the East was won. The stereo separation, audience noise and hall ambience  from the patchy multi track source and the detailed and well balanced music  signal from the newly unearthed soundboard, together would give us a much more satisfying representation of the gig. Assuming the SB reels are covering most of the show (which I doubt, since the three North American 71 boards are incomplete)

We'll see...

Ahhhh yes, valid point! Interesting that you should mention the matrix, I already gave it a test run with Immigrant Song, from the EVSD single and the Winston Remaster versions. It sounds amazing! Even so, it would be wonderful to have what I presume will be the majority of the concert on the new SBD. 

Speaking of the other board tapes, that actually gave rise to my idea to make a compilation that would present a complete '71 show in high quality. This was why I was searching for the Osaka STH, I actually prefer it over Orlando, Hampton, and Toronto's respective versions.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Not seen you round here for ages Strider...welcome back

I've been here...maybe not on this thread but still on the forum, leaving my droppings in the Live and Master sections.

Of course, I haven't been on the Live section as much as usual due to the fact that after gorging on the 1977 tour last year for the 40th anniversary, I have taken a break from Led Zeppelin, knowing that the 50th anniversary was around the corner.

Come September I'll be refreshed and ready to get back in Zeppelin mode.

Edited by Strider

Anyone out there have any news/info on whether or not a How The East Was Won type release is even realistic ? I can't help but wonder if this version wouldn't make the cut for an official release because of Bonzo's premature fill at the end. 

• 3 weeks later...