09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

Maybe it takes a drummer to notice Bonham's slight mistake.  He doesn't go out of time or anything, it's just that it's a distinctive drum part of the song at that point and he starts it sooner than usual, forcing him to repeat it once more than usual.

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Just a heads up. Some dude (LedSox) has posted on Guitars 101 a merge of the soundboard with the Winston Remaster. Speed corrected by 2%. Only snag is that i think Black Dog is from the night before

it's also on Royal Orleans .A remarkable labour of love. LedSox specifically wishes to praise Winstons contribution  (remastering the old stereo source from the best possible sources). I hope someone takes this project a step further and matrix the mono SB with the multitrack dub. Especially the tracks which are complete on both tapes. That would yield a near perfect live album, I think.😛

Edited by duckman

15 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Maybe it takes a drummer to notice Bonham's slight mistake.  He doesn't go out of time or anything, it's just that it's a distinctive drum part of the song at that point and he starts it sooner than usual, forcing him to repeat it once more than usual.

Yes, maybe so... any drummer who knows the music would hear it immediately.  He's early with the fill, hence it's a mistake on his part, and it nearly threw Jimmy off, but they don't lose their step. My original comment was related to it probably not passing muster with Jimmy for an official release  because of that moment. 

Edited by porgie66

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Just a heads up. Some dude (LedSox) has posted on Guitars 101 a merge of the soundboard with the Winston Remaster. Speed corrected by 2%. Only snag is that i think Black Dog is from the night before

It's more or less the same as the quickly done version that was up on Dime the other week only this time done with a bit more care. Yes, Black Dog is from the 28th, there because it's a better version, not a snag at all. You're going to love it, it's miles better than ESVD's incomplete overpriced rip off version.

Edited by JTM

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Thanks mate - grabbed. Will give it a go tonight! :)

8 hours ago, JTM said:

You're going to love it, it's miles better than ESVD's incomplete overpriced rip off version.

I think the definition of “rip off” is backwards. Without EV, none of the other versions would even exist. 

I see lots of praise for Eelgrass, Godfather, etc. They would have nothing to repackage and sell at a discount if not for EV’s content. Look at Moonchild. They ripped off Winston‘s entire list of remasters and sell them for $10 a pop. Is that a good thing? Maybe for someone only looking to buy silvers. Certainly not good for Winston, who didn’t see a dime of that. No different for Eelgrass and Godfather copying EV discs. If people need these shows on silvers, cheap, I guess those knock-offs will do. But without the original, you can’t make the copy. It’s like those fake luxury purses and watches that outsell the originals 10 to 1, because only a few people can afford the real thing.  Given how much EV ends up getting copied, why shouldn’t they charge a premium for their content? They are the only ones releasing these gems.

3 hours ago, pluribus said:

I think the definition of “rip off” is backwards. Without EV, none of the other versions would even exist. 

I see lots of praise for Eelgrass, Godfather, etc. They would have nothing to repackage and sell at a discount if not for EV’s content. Look at Moonchild. They ripped off Winston‘s entire list of remasters and sell them for $10 a pop. Is that a good thing? Maybe for someone only looking to buy silvers. Certainly not good for Winston, who didn’t see a dime of that. No different for Eelgrass and Godfather copying EV discs. If people need these shows on silvers, cheap, I guess those knock-offs will do. But without the original, you can’t make the copy. It’s like those fake luxury purses and watches that outsell the originals 10 to 1, because only a few people can afford the real thing.  Given how much EV ends up getting copied, why shouldn’t they charge a premium for their content? They are the only ones releasing these gems.

Well said.

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Guys - I'm having terrible trouble downloading from filefactory for some reason and i can't get on dime. Could somebody please send me a link to some other source for the SBD Winston merge....i'm dying to hear it

Just got this! Woohoo

On 10/13/2018 at 9:14 AM, porgie66 said:

Yes, maybe so... any drummer who knows the music would hear it immediately.  He's early with the fill, hence it's a mistake on his part, and it nearly threw Jimmy off, but they don't lose their step. My original comment was related to it probably not passing muster with Jimmy for an official release  because of that moment. 

Agreed, Bonzo´s little accident plus Robert losing power & pitch would exclude 929´s STH from an official release. No disaster, as Jimmy could choose from four fantastic concerts. But the very thought of Jimmy mixing parts of songs from different dates, editing WLL and create a Frankenstein HTEWW- that frightens me.

BTW I love 929s Tangerine because of Jimmy´s vocal backing in the chorus. His voice is very low in the mix, but it is simply beautiful, never noticed him on any other Tangerine.

Edited by Autumn Moon

On 10/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, duckman said:

it's also on Royal Orleans .A remarkable labour of love. LedSox specifically wishes to praise Winstons contribution  (remastering the old stereo source from the best possible sources). I hope someone takes this project a step further and matrix the mono SB with the multitrack dub. Especially the tracks which are complete on both tapes. That would yield a near perfect live album, I think.😛

No doubt about it, the Winston Remaster of 929 is a very good one. But maybe the Matrix-Wizards should try to fuse Wendy´s Live In Japan 929 (the 2016 version) with the new soundboard, this could lead to a far better matrix.

21 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

....But the very thought of Jimmy mixing parts of songs from different dates, editing WLL and create a Frankenstein HTEWW- that frightens me...

Did you ever visit Eddie Edwards' site "The Garden Tapes" and read his excellent analysis of "The Song Remains The Same"?

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

22 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

But the very thought of Jimmy mixing parts of songs from different dates, editing WLL and create a Frankenstein HTEWW- that frightens me.

I hear you on that, but since the choice is either nothing or Page-Frankenstein version, I'll take the latter in a heartbeat, especially since it's possible that the whole 929 show, including WLL, is still out there in the sound quality of the recently surfaced soundboard. It's why the Good Lord invented bootlegs - so you can have the whole night's performance in decent quality as an alternative to the official, edited version. 😀

1 hour ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Did you ever visit Eddie Edwards' site "The Garden Tapes" and read his excellent analysis of "The Song Remains The Same"?

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

Yes, a stunning in depth analysis- Hats off to Eddie Edwards. Though I naturally dislike the concept of an edited, patched Live Album, I do understand Pages´ motivation for "creating" TSRTS due to Plant´s voice problems &  the misery with fixing audio & video for the film.

But HTEWW is a different pair of shoes: vvv

50 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I hear you on that, but since the choice is either nothing or Page-Frankenstein version, I'll take the latter in a heartbeat, especially since it's possible that the whole 929 show, including WLL, is still out there in the sound quality of the recently surfaced soundboard. It's why the Good Lord invented bootlegs - so you can have the whole night's performance in decent quality as an alternative to the official, edited version. 😀

As part of a Life Archive Series I would gladly take all four (23.,24., 28. & 29.9) in a second. A possible more realistic option would be just one release, with the "best" versions picked from the four nights. But of course without any editing or patching! Jesus, there is nothing to be ashamed of, just some of the greatest concerts they have played ever. But honestly, I doubt that there will be any official release.

I pin my hopes entirely on the bootleg producers.

28 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

According to Google Translate:

Osaka performance on September 29, 1971 is recorded.
It is a very wonderful recording on the back of the stage.

We redesigned the package and released it at a low price version.

Based on that, it seems like the multitrack recording that has been around for quite a while. Looks like they just repackaged it in a jewel case and used images from the recent soundboard release of the show.

Edited by SteveZ98

Yeah, I figured that out myself. What I meant was: they're offering the most expensive HTEWW (AirRaid) for $ 298.- That includes the new soundboard (2 cd's) and the old (12-2010) multitrack (3 cd's).

You can order HTEWW for "just" $ 228.- or $ 198.- with just the 2 soundboard cd's and buy these 3 multitrack cd's for only 1000 yen (approx. $ 9.-). Which are just the same as the "Live in Japan" cd's - the 3 cd versions (929) or the 6 cd version (928 & 929).

So, what's going on? Why release them again separately for this - all time low - bargain price?

1 hour ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Yeah, I figured that out myself. What I meant was: they're offering the most expensive HTEWW (AirRaid) for $ 298.- That includes the new soundboard (2 cd's) and the old (12-2010) multitrack (3 cd's).

You can order HTEWW for "just" $ 228.- or $ 198.- with just the 2 soundboard cd's and buy these 3 multitrack cd's for only 1000 yen (approx. $ 9.-). Which are just the same as the "Live in Japan" cd's - the 3 cd versions (929) or the 6 cd version (928 & 929).

So, what's going on? Why release them again separately for this - all time low - bargain price?

The cheeky bastards have also released Ledsox’s sbd and Winston merge! 

• 2 weeks later...