09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

8 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

If true and the recording is mostly complete minus some tape changes, this could be in the top ten of all bootlegs (and official releases) for Zeppelin ever. 

My only hope is EV is not going to force us to buy the SB with yet another version of the old stereo tape.If they want to do the Super deluxe way, they should pair it with what's available from 928 SB. An astute attempt at a matrix of the SB/stage recording is also OK, but I will probably stick to the 929 SB.

3 hours ago, duckman said:

My only hope is EV is not going to force us to buy the SB with yet another version of the old stereo tape.If they want to do the Super deluxe way, they should pair it with what's available from 928 SB. An astute attempt at a matrix of the SB/stage recording is also OK, but I will probably stick to the 929 SB.

If this is just a release of Thank You, could this possibly debunk your theory that they they only have 2/3 of the show on SB? I.e they have songs from the beginning (IS), the middle (Friends) and the end (Thank You). 

The more I think about the message the more I think it will be another single release - Thank You. Why wouldn’t they? The demand is there for this particular show. I just think they would be losing potential sales by releasing it all in one go. 

If they did release it in one hit, I will definitely buy....unless they do something daft like like package it up with a myriad of alternative sources that I just don’t want...which will push the price beyond my means. In which case I will buy the eelgrass. 

For me, this show is a holy grail. I love it. If I got this on a sb, I would be happy to never get another new boot. Mind you, I say that now. No doubt I would be thirsting for more next year! 

3 hours ago, duckman said:

I think it's a certainty, the days of only releasing the new material as an option are over - it'll be paired with multiple sources to make it the usual 6CD/9CD/12CD etc multiple format boxes.    Like Seattle this is all about the maximum $ given it will be copied by cheaper labels and uploaded for the non-paying masses.    I can't see it being any cheaper than the lowest priced initial Seattle release - $350.     Happy to be wrong ☺️.

There's been talk on Royal Orleans regarding this tweet sent out three days ago:

This is a translation (please forgive the poor English):

The real SBD full version of ZEP "929" will finally come out on September 29 of next month, but next month it will cost expenses covered in daily necessities and various things, so I would like you to be caught in a high-value boot What. It is interesting, but it is reality that you can not spend so much money on personal hobbies when living.

I assume that this is a reliable account, no? If so, this is HUGE news!

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

There's been talk on Royal Orleans regarding this tweet sent out three days ago:

This is a translation (please forgive the poor English):

I assume that this is a reliable account, no? If so, this is HUGE news!

Just back from vacation- man, I have been waiting to read this announcement for more than 20 years!

On 8/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, jbrum77634 said:

I think it's a certainty, the days of only releasing the new material as an option are over - it'll be paired with multiple sources to make it the usual 6CD/9CD/12CD etc multiple format boxes.    Like Seattle this is all about the maximum $ given it will be copied by cheaper labels and uploaded for the non-paying masses.    I can't see it being any cheaper than the lowest priced initial Seattle release - $350.     Happy to be wrong ☺️. 

It depends on your patience, I have bought the EV jewel case release of the 75 Seattle show, about three weeks after the Eelgrass release, for $ 100,-.

On 8/26/2018 at 12:21 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

If true and the recording is mostly complete minus some tape changes, this could be in the top ten of all bootlegs (and official releases) for Zeppelin ever

Agreed, come to think of it, 929 would be the one to take to the island.

On 8/26/2018 at 2:30 PM, duckman said:

If this is just a release of Thank You, could this possibly debunk your theory that they they only have 2/3 of the show on SB? I.e they have songs from the beginning (IS), the middle (Friends) and the end (Thank You). 

The more I think about the message the more I think it will be another single release - Thank You. Why wouldn’t they? The demand is there for this particular show. I just think they would be losing potential sales by releasing it all in one go. 

If they did release it in one hit, I will definitely buy....unless they do something daft like like package it up with a myriad of alternative sources that I just don’t want...which will push the price beyond my means. In which case I will buy the eelgrass. 

For me, this show is a holy grail. I love it. If I got this on a sb, I would be happy to never get another new boot. Mind you, I say that now. No doubt I would be thirsting for more next year! 

I must say after giving this a listen for the first time in a while my copy is really good. .almost SBD. .Im sure most of you have decent copies as well. That being said I hope this is worth the wait and if there is any hope that the previous night is on the docket for coming out. . It just feels a little like Seattle 75 where we have a great AUD followed by a great SBD. .   

13 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I cannot fucking wait!!! @duckmanlet’s hope it’s the full show and they changed the reels

Agreed. Assuming it's reasonably complete and the rest of it sounds like the samples we've heard so far, this bootleg looks like it's going to be the audio highlight of Zep's 50th anniversary. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, but with the conspicuous silence from the band about what shows they're planning to release I'm not holding out much hope that they'll top this, unless they put out a multi-track version of this show. That would be a fitting way to celebrate their 50th.  

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Agreed. Assuming it's reasonably complete and the rest of it sounds like the samples we've heard so far, this bootleg looks like it's going to be the audio highlight of Zep's 50th anniversary. Hopefully I'm wrong about that, but with the conspicuous silence from the band about what shows they're planning to release I'm not holding out much hope that they'll top this, unless they put out a multi-track version of this show. That would be a fitting way to celebrate their 50th.  

I agree as well. This show as a sbd release should be about as good as it gets. Everything is there...great performance/set list, tasty banter, and amazing energy! Not to mention the WLL medley that would never be intact on an official release. THIS is what I have always wanted to be released as a sbd.

17 minutes ago, Walter said:

I agree as well. This show as a sbd release should be about as good as it gets. Everything is there...great performance/set list, tasty banter, and amazing energy! Not to mention the WLL medley that would never be intact on an official release. THIS is what I have always wanted to be released as a sbd.

Well said Walter and I agree.  This will be costly if you buy in cd format or some sort of package offered.  I will wait until it's uploaded to one of the torrent sites to get it as will be much cheaper.  It's just a matter if one wants a hard format of this rather than just a digital one.  It will be so much cheaper (free) with the latter.  I would think someone will have it uploaded rather soon after the release.  Either way I'm looking forward to it, I want it and I'm getting it!  All will be intact as opposed if JP was doing it with the editing or omission of the cover songs...at least some of them for certain depending on the song and cost.  "Twist and Shout" would certainly be omitted!  I think Zep could have done a better performance with this song and especially RP.

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Yep, with you on this Steve. I hope you’re well by the way. 

I’m going to take the plunge and buy this one I think. It’s juat a question of when. I may have to wait for the Eelgrass version to be released - I will either buy that, or buy the EV version if the price comes down. 

All of the other shows from 71 only have 2/3 of the show on the soundboard. I really do hope that this one has the full show. This really is the holy grail for me. I can’t wait

On 8/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, Autumn Moon said:

I have bought the EV jewel case release of the 75 Seattle show, about three weeks after the Eelgrass release, for $ 100,-.

Hi mate. How long does it normally take the Eelgrass release to come out after EV release theirs?

On 8/31/2018 at 6:09 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Hi mate. How long does it normally take the Eelgrass release to come out after EV release theirs?

Hi, not too long, I think it took them just 3-4 weeks to release their version of Deus Ex Machina. Again, 3 weeks later EV released their "budget" version.

Since I am not the biggest fan of their 75 concerts in general, it was no problem to wait 8 weeks, and $ 100 for the EV jewel case is ok.

But of course, the upcoming 929 release is something completely different. I don´t think I can wait a single day, can you?

3 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hi, not too long, I think it took them just 3-4 weeks to release their version of Deus Ex Machina. Again, 3 weeks later EV released their "budget" version.

Since I am not the biggest fan of their 75 concerts in general, it was no problem to wait 8 weeks, and $ 100 for the EV jewel case is ok.

But of course, the upcoming 929 release is something completely different. I don´t think I can wait a single day, can you?

I’m prepared to wait for the drop in price in the EV one. If I manage to get a torrent before I buy it, it won’t stop me buying it. I’ll put it to one side and the kids can get it for me for Christmas 

3 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

I’m prepared to wait for the drop in price in the EV one. If I manage to get a torrent before I buy it, it won’t stop me buying it. I’ll put it to one side and the kids can get it for me for Christmas 

👍🏼👌🏼😁

8 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Haha, great!

Just in case they are selling 929 & 928 combined in one deluxe set, I think I´d have to sell some things immediately. My Rickenbacker bass which I haven´t touched once in the last ten years, my RP Dreamland on vinyl (played once)................

On 8/30/2018 at 12:26 PM, Xolo1974 said:

I cannot fucking wait!!! @duckmanlet’s hope it’s the full show and they changed the reels

Hi Mate, sorry for the delay but I had to wait for the weekend to  guesstimate the reel changes. (FWIW I used my more or less complete Wendy 6CD 929 to do the timings).

caution: With the exception of the 928 and 929 SB snippets, I reviewed the N.American soundboards to check the different editorial scenario's regarding the probable completeness of the upcoming 929 SB.

(Immigrant, Stairway and Friends have been presented in complete and uncut form from the 929 SB already so these will act as references)

So there we have  three available SB recordings  from N.America 1971: Orlando (110'), Toronto (50'), Hampton (96').  

What we do know from the nineties, is  that one (1!) reel to reel tape from Toronto got into tapers/collector's circulation  (Stairway until Moby Dick-cut-so technically this would be a 'second reel' from a more complete set of tapes) and two (2)reels from Hampton (Cut into Immigrant until D&C (cut) and a second reel starting from Stairway cutting out on Moby Dick). According to Early Days/Latter Days' Andy Adams (who held the  tape boxes in his hands ), these were 1/4" reel to reels, likely recorded at 7" 1/2 IPS.

And last but not least, the earliest of  three SB shows,  a slightly superior and lengthier  (110') SB of Orlando (released only during the Empress Valley  SB revolution at the dawn of  the 21th  century).

First and for all I'm with you hoping the sound tech had his act together by now and checked the regular set list before changing reels to capture 50 minutes of the show at once. Sadly, the inevitable pittfals 'remain the same'☹️

Considering  one Revox reel to reel deck was available behind the mixing console  and the tape length of each available reel, was technically  limited to (less than) 50 minutes for each reel, these are the scenario's. And for my convenience I put -hypothetically -Clive Coulson as the sound tech behind the Revox, responsible for changing reels...Good Luck, Clive😈.

hypothetical 929 reel One: Immigrant-Dazed  (50 minutes)

First Cut will occur during -oh horror- Dazed and Confused (minutes before Pennies from heaven)....unless Clive already changed reels after 30 minutes (right after Black Dog)

hypothetical 929 reel Two: Stairway-Friends,  incl. Smoke gets in your eyes  (50 minutes) ....unless Clive changed reels during Dazed and caught up during Pennies, (than we have a different story)

hypothetical 929 reel Three : What is and what should never be-Whole lotta Love medley (NOOOOOOOOO....cut before Good Time Bad Times) 

hypothetical 929 reel Four (rest of WLL hopefully), THE  encores including Communication Breakdown, Organ Solo/Thank You , Rock' n Roll (26 or 40 minutes.... if Clive changed reels during the last half ofWLL)

Considering the show's generous 200 minutes length, the (optimistic) four reels scenario, the SB source can easily be transferred to three discs and whatever the end result, I'm ON September 29. Let's hope for some miracles, but in either way...929 SB will BE my LZ 50th anniversary cherry on the cake 😴

Archived