09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

4 hours ago, duckman said:

Considering the show's generous 200 minutes length, the (optimistic) four reels scenario, the SB source can easily be transferred to three discs and whatever the end result, I'm ON September 29. Let's hope for some miracles, but in either way...929 SB will BE my LZ 50th anniversary cherry on the cake 😴

Great post! Thanks for your detective work. Maybe I can contribute a little hint about the running time of the first 929 reel: Unfortunately, there is no cut after Black Dog from the 928 SB snippet, the tape runs without a cut while RP is introducing D&C, the fade out starts with the very first notes of D&C. So most likely the first reel ends during D&C.

But let us hope the best- man, I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown!

Finally, you are damn right, 929 will be the best 50th anniversary release by far.

8 hours ago, duckman said:

Hi Mate, sorry for the delay but I had to wait for the weekend to  guesstimate the reel changes. (FWIW I used my more or less complete Wendy 6CD 929 to do the timings).

caution: With the exception of the 928 and 929 SB snippets, I reviewed the N.American soundboards to check the different editorial scenario's regarding the probable completeness of the upcoming 929 SB.

(Immigrant, Stairway and Friends have been presented in complete and uncut form from the 929 SB already so these will act as references)

So there we have  three available SB recordings  from N.America 1971: Orlando (110'), Toronto (50'), Hampton (96').  

What we do know from the nineties, is  that one (1!) reel to reel tape from Toronto got into tapers/collector's circulation  (Stairway until Moby Dick-cut-so technically this would be a 'second reel' from a more complete set of tapes) and two (2)reels from Hampton (Cut into Immigrant until D&C (cut) and a second reel starting from Stairway cutting out on Moby Dick). According to Early Days/Latter Days' Andy Adams (who held the  tape boxes in his hands ), these were 1/4" reel to reels, likely recorded at 7" 1/2 IPS.

And last but not least, the earliest of  three SB shows,  a slightly superior and lengthier  (110') SB of Orlando (released only during the Empress Valley  SB revolution at the dawn of  the 21th  century).

First and for all I'm with you hoping the sound tech had his act together by now and checked the regular set list before changing reels to capture 50 minutes of the show at once. Sadly, the inevitable pittfals 'remain the same'☹️

Considering  one Revox reel to reel deck was available behind the mixing console  and the tape length of each available reel, was technically  limited to (less than) 50 minutes for each reel, these are the scenario's. And for my convenience I put -hypothetically -Clive Coulson as the sound tech behind the Revox, responsible for changing reels...Good Luck, Clive😈.

hypothetical 929 reel One: Immigrant-Dazed  (50 minutes)

First Cut will occur during -oh horror- Dazed and Confused (minutes before Pennies from heaven)....unless Clive already changed reels after 30 minutes (right after Black Dog)

hypothetical 929 reel Two: Stairway-Friends,  incl. Smoke gets in your eyes  (50 minutes) ....unless Clive changed reels during Dazed and caught up during Pennies, (than we have a different story)

hypothetical 929 reel Three : What is and what should never be-Whole lotta Love medley (NOOOOOOOOO....cut before Good Time Bad Times) 

hypothetical 929 reel Four (rest of WLL hopefully), THE  encores including Communication Breakdown, Organ Solo/Thank You , Rock' n Roll (26 or 40 minutes.... if Clive changed reels during the last half ofWLL)

Considering the show's generous 200 minutes length, the (optimistic) four reels scenario, the SB source can easily be transferred to three discs and whatever the end result, I'm ON September 29. Let's hope for some miracles, but in either way...929 SB will BE my LZ 50th anniversary cherry on the cake 😴

Great detective work.  I always try to figure out this stuff too.   

I guess we’ll have to wait and see...but I’m thinking the Orlando was done with shorter reels.    There is a cut in dazed about 3:30 into the song where the reel would have been flipped.    Seems like the reels for Orlando ran about 33 mins each side. There are similar cuts in other portions of the tapes too not in the 50 min mark.    

Toronto seems to fit the 50 min reels theory and we simply only have the 2nd reel.    Hampton’s seems to follow this theory too but I’ll have to give another listen 

There is also the possibility that several marhinces were running this night.   

1.) The multitracks.

2.) The same crew may have ran another deck for reference.

3.) Page could have gotten a feed with a 1/4” machine.

The article in a Japanese magazine a few years ago described in detail how the Japanese crew recorded possibly the Tokyo and Osaka shows.   It would have been easy to run a soundboard recording as well    Maybe this crew had a better/alternate copy all these years too   

On 8/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, SteveZ98 said:

"Scheduled to be released on September 29
Do not ask a question. Thank you."

From: http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/airraid/availableev.html

Anyone else noticed this?  Niwa has removed his upcoming Empress  929 SB announcement on Air Raid.

Last year, Deus Ex Machina's release suffered from a delay, but I hope this one is not postponed or  cancelled...my goodness, that would turn me into a very grumpy old man😈

There's talk on Royal Orleans regarding this tweet:

Translation: "Although I dropped to BF on the way home from work, there was not detailed announcement of the new score which is still arriving on September 29. From the air raid site, this image is gone ... I wonder if some details will be announced at the end of this week ???"

Just some food for thought.

8 hours ago, duckman said:

Anyone else noticed this?  Niwa has removed his upcoming Empress  929 SB announcement on Air Raid.

Last year, Deus Ex Machina's release suffered from a delay, but I hope this one is not postponed or  cancelled...my goodness, that would turn me into a very grumpy old man😈

Maybe someone asked a question :) Seriously though, I hope this isn't delayed. I've been looking forward to it since the announcement came out.

On 9/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, duckman said:

Just in from Japan:

Led Zeppelin - 9/29/71 Osaka, Japan - Previously Unreleased Soundboard - Empress Valley Label. The Soundboard Revolution Series proudly presents for the very First and Only time anywhere the Legendary, Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka! This show has previously only ever been available as a fake soundboard release!! The following editions of this Ultra Rare Set are due for release on or about the 47th Anniversary of the show;"

Ultimate Royal “OH-SHOW” Promo Collector's Edition - (9/29/71 SB & AUD Source) - 100 Numbered Copies Only!!

This 5 CD Mega Rare Box with Obi includes both the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source plus as a special bonus the original EVSD Audience source to provide two completely different listening perspectives for this awesome show! Each CD set is housed in special paper cases inside an exquisite Ultra Ltd Ed box.  $300 With Shipping

Extremely Ltd Ed Geisha Box Set - 200 Copies Only!! 
This 2 CD Exclusive Box with Obi features the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source with Ltd Ed Commemorative Japanese Woodblock Art Print Covers. 
The CD set is housed in special paper cases with obis. The set is enclosed in an exquisite Ltd Ed box.  $220 + Ship

How the East Was Won Ltd Ed Box Set - This 2 CD Exclusive Box with Obi features the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source. 
The CD set is housed in special paper cases with obis. The set is enclosed in an exquisite Ltd Ed box.  $185 + Ship 

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Just in from Japan:

Led Zeppelin - 9/29/71 Osaka, Japan - Previously Unreleased Soundboard - Empress Valley Label. The Soundboard Revolution Series proudly presents for the very First and Only time anywhere the Legendary, Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka! This show has previously only ever been available as a fake soundboard release!! The following editions of this Ultra Rare Set are due for release on or about the 47th Anniversary of the show;"

Ultimate Royal “OH-SHOW” Promo Collector's Edition - (9/29/71 SB & AUD Source) - 100 Numbered Copies Only!!

This 5 CD Mega Rare Box with Obi includes both the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source plus as a special bonus the original EVSD Audience source to provide two completely different listening perspectives for this awesome show! Each CD set is housed in special paper cases inside an exquisite Ultra Ltd Ed box.  $300 With Shipping

This 2 CD Exclusive Box with Obi features the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source with Ltd Ed Commemorative Japanese Woodblock Art Print Covers. 
The CD set is housed in special paper cases with obis. The set is enclosed in an exquisite Ltd Ed box.  $220 + Ship

How the East Was Won Ltd Ed Box Set - This 2 CD Exclusive Box with Obi features the previously unreleased Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard source. 
The CD set is housed in special paper cases with obis. The set is enclosed in an exquisite Ltd Ed box.  $185 + Ship 

Thanks Steve. It’s a pity the whole show isn’t available, but hey I’m thankful for what they are releasing. The last third of the show I’ll settle for the 2016 Wendy release. There are far worse recordings that I listen to. 

11 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Just in from Japan:

Wow Steve, thanks for that wake up call (it's 7.30 here in Belgium and I just woke up). 

Did some digging and found the track listing:

Disc One Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, SIBLY, Dazed & Confused

Disc Two Smoke Gets in your Eyes, What is and what should never be, Moby Dick, Communication Breakdown, Rock'n Roll

Very weird....what happened to Stairway and Friends???? and most of all, Whole Lotta Love ?

Schermafbeelding 2018-09-22 om 11.23.27.png

4 hours ago, duckman said:

Wow Steve, thanks for that wake up call (it's 7.30 here in Belgium and I just woke up). 

Did some digging and found the track listing:

Disc One Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, SIBLY, Dazed & Confused

Disc Two Smoke Gets in your Eyes, What is and what should never be, Moby Dick, Communication Breakdown, Rock'n Roll

Very weird....what happened to Stairway and Friends???? and most of all, Whole Lotta Love ?

Schermafbeelding 2018-09-22 om 11.23.27.png

It is confusing. And how do they have SIBLY and Dazed but not Black Dog? I get the feeling all the missing stuff will show up on some future "The Complete How The East Was Won" release for the low price of one mortgage payment. 

14 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

It is confusing. And how do they have SIBLY and Dazed but not Black Dog? I get the feeling all the missing stuff will show up on some future "The Complete How The East Was Won" release for the low price of one mortgage payment. 

That’s absolutely correct. Or they will be drip fed by single releases like they have done this year. Obviously, this approach has been a nice little earner for them. 

In a perverse sort of way this is actually good news - it points to the fact that they have the soundboard for the full show....unless I’m mistaken @duckman 

On the flip side they have just lost a potential customer. I was potentially prepared to break the bank for this release (at least I was until I heard it was only 2/3 of the show). But why the hell should I when I know I am paying top $ and I also know they are holding out on me....and want to double dip on me at some point in the future. 

I notice a lot of people are suspicious. They obviously don't trust EVSD and they expect EVSD is going to release more of this show.

Right now the cheapest copy is $ 198.- and it goes up to $ 298.-

The "Deus Ex Machina" box set got prices from $ 350.-  for a Deluxe box (8 cd's, 300 copies), $ 600.- for a Limited box (14 cd's, 200 copies) and $. 500.- for promo copy (7cd's, 100 copies). All these copies sold fast.

Why would they be waiting when they could ask way more bucks for a complete show?

Anyway, I ordered my copy today!😀 The "Oh-show" limited box (as you might expect😜)

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

That’s absolutely correct. Or they will be drip fed by single releases like they have done this year. Obviously, this approach has been a nice little earner for them. 

In a perverse sort of way this is actually good news - it points to the fact that they have the soundboard for the full show....unless I’m mistaken @duckman 

Xolo, I'm still pretty convinced a (neigh on) complete 929 SB (like the N.America 75 boards) remains utopian. The unpredictable lengths of D&C, Moby Dick and Whole Lotta Love are a pain in the A** for any roadie/sound-tech in charge of changing the tape reels. Betty Cantor-Jackson had two sophisticated NAGRA decks (equipped with pilot tone)  to record the Grateful Dead and she could focus on her recordings.  Even if one of her decks ran out of tape, she could anticipate and charge deck 2 and still being  in sync.

6 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

I notice a lot of people are suspicious. They obviously don't trust EVSD and they expect EVSD is going to release more of this show.

Right now the cheapest copy is $ 198.- and it goes up to $ 298.-

The "Deus Ex Machina" box set got prices from $ 350.-  for a Deluxe box (8 cd's, 300 copies), $ 600.- for a Limited box (14 cd's, 200 copies) and $. 500.- for promo copy (7cd's, 100 copies). All these copies sold fast.

Why would they be waiting when they could ask way more bucks for a complete show?

Anyway, I ordered my copy today!😀 The "Oh-show" limited box (as you might expect😜)

In my humble opinion the Deux prices were a tipping point for many - all 3 releases are still available, even the 100 copy promo version is regularly advertised on a Japanese auction site at cost/buy it now prices.

Slightly underwhelmed by todays announcements but at least it's costing a lot less than I budgeted. 

51 minutes ago, drpete said:

I'll wait for a torrent for now and see if a better release comes out in the future.  Gotta keep the lights on in the house..

My sentiments exactly. I bet you that Eelgrass will release this soundboard but with Stairway, Friends and Immigrant Song. Why wouldn’t they. 

10 minutes ago, duckman said:

Xolo, I'm still pretty convinced a (neigh on) complete 929 SB (like the N.America 75 boards) remains utopian. The unpredictable lengths of D&C, Moby Dick and Whole Lotta Love are a pain in the A** for any roadie/sound-tech in charge of changing the tape reels. Betty Cantor-Jackson had two sophisticated NAGRA decks (equipped with pilot tone)  to record the Grateful Dead and she could focus on her recordings.  Even if one of her decks ran out of tape, she could anticipate and charge deck 2 and still being  in sync.

I agree that it's got to be difficult to record a show that has such long songs in it, but why leave out Black Dog? It's early in the show, well before any tape change would have been an issue, and it sits between SIBLY and Dazed, which were both recorded. There are also other soundboards from earlier in 1971 that include it (e.g. Orlando.)  Based on that, leaving it out seems more like a money grab than the result of some technical problem.

44 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

I agree that it's got to be difficult to record a show that has such long songs in it, but why leave out Black Dog? It's early in the show, well before any tape change would have been an issue, and it sits between SIBLY and Dazed, which were both recorded. There are also other soundboards from earlier in 1971 that include it (e.g. Orlando.)  Based on that, leaving it out seems more like a money grab than the result of some technical problem.

I agree, Steve...it smells 'fishy' (sorry Eric S). Obviously there are tracks held back. IMHO (I hope I'm wrong) Dazed & Confused  and Moby Dick probably still will cut out on this release nevertheless.

Friends seemingly is on disc One, but why was Stairway ommited?

Anyway, it doesn't make sense the gap between SIBLY and D&C... Stairway follows D&C, Celebration Day should be on the (hypothetical) second reel with the acoustic set.  Friends precedes Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, What is, Moby Dick...gap...Communication Breakdown/Rock'n Roll.

So Discs 1 and  2  must be relatively short discs...even if Dazed & Moby Dick are  complete (which I doubt). 

The way Friends is listed on the CD cover in the photo above looks odd - why is it separated out like that? 

I would buy this if it had Celebration Day.  For me the 1971 Celebration Days - and especially this show !!  -  are a holy grail.  Thankfully we have Toronto 71, but unfortunately the Orlando 71 SBD is missing Celebration Day.  And the Toronto recording does not sound nearly as good as what has been released of this recording.   I can assume that this totally kick-ass 9-29-71 Celebration Day would be absolutely staggering if it sounded like the 9-29 Immigrant song.

We already have Black Dog  9-28-71, and we already have Immigrant, Stairway, and Friends.

I wonder if they would sell alot more and make more money overall if they released it for say $50.

Great this has come out but what a jacked up way to release it.    Oh well, the fact it exists is great and we’ll probably get it all one day.    

And there is still 9/28 to look forward to which I think has one of the most powerful versions “Celebration Day.” The sample of Black Dog shows that the original recoding must be phenomenal.  Good times....

Archived