09/29/1971 Osaka - Stairway To Heaven - EVSD SBD Single

mknopfler

Well, shit. I just read the last few pages of this thread to catch up on things and am stunned to find out that EV isn't releasing the entire show. Imagine if they had treated the 3.21.75 soundboard or other 1975 North American soundboard this way?

Incomplete? No Plantations? Has Jimmy Page taken over EVSD?

i just called my friend who was gonna make me a copy and told him don't bother. My interest in this release just plummeted 99%. I'll stick with my "You Were There In Spirit", "929" , and "Arigatou Osaka" releases of 9.29.71 Osaka.

4 minutes ago, Strider said:

Well, shit. I just read the last few pages of this thread to catch up on things and am stunned to find out that EV isn't releasing the entire show. Imagine if they had treated the 3.21.75 soundboard or other 1975 North American soundboard this way?

i just called my friend who was gonna make me a copy and told him don't bother. My interest in this release just plummeted 99%. I'll stick with my "You Were There In Spirit", "929" , and "Arigatou Osaka" releases of 9.29.71 Osaka.

I feel the same way. I've also seen a lot of comments about how superb the sound is. Frankly, my dear, I don't think it's all that great.  It does sound good but I wouldn't use the word superb. It could use some polishing and I'm sure they have plans to re-release it with better sound and more parts. It's really too bad the whole show isn't available. I really missed the Mr. Bonham chant!

Bonham's squeaky pedal. Anyone?  I think it's hilarious!!

It's excellent sounding, especially for a pre-'75 board. It is mono, however.

As for it not being complete, that is a shame, and we don't know if EVSD has the whole board or only part of it. Remember that a lot of pre-1975 Zep soundboards are incomplete - maybe even a majority of them.

It is unfortunate that Stairway and Friends aren't on this latest release, since they were released on two of the teaser CD-singles earlier.

The biggest absence, of course, is Whole Lotta Love. Would be great if that surfaced in the future.

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

I feel the same way. I've also seen a lot of comments about how superb the sound is. Frankly, my dear, I don't think it's all that great.  It does sound good but I wouldn't use the word superb. It could use some polishing and I'm sure they have plans to re-release it with better sound and more parts. It's really too bad the whole show isn't available. I really missed the Mr. Bonham chant!

Bonham's squeaky pedal. Anyone?  I think it's hilarious!!

Speed King pedals always squeak if you don't grease the linkage. Mine has the same sound if it's not lubed. 😬

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I have way more questions than answers but it seems to me that there are a lot of emotions/feelings, and very little facts going around in this conversation. So how do we find out the facts?? They're bootleggers! Their not going to divulge their methods, sources, prices paid etc. 

Here's my 2 cents. I'm somewhere in the middle of the battle field. I cannot and will not drop hundreds of $ on a title, but thats me. I buy silvers occasionally if its a favorite show and a good release with nice packaging. I try not to pay more than $150 but thats because I am not a collector type who has a budget for whatever their passion is... I'm a musician with no disposable income and plenty of debt and kids tuition to pay. The collecting game is too rich for my blood.   If someone who values having the silvers the packaging and believes in supporting the makers of boots then, fine...I suppose their putting their money where their mouth is. I do download ,  but I have also shared silvers that I bought back in the day on torrent sites , and I have also contributed to some remasters ( not much other than some tips on sound ) but I have shared a couple things ( low gen sources /clean vinyl)  that I know for a fact were ripped and burned onto silvers and put out (by at least 2 labels) . I don't really object to it as long as the prices are fair considering the source.  You're not just paying for packaging, there is time and expertise involved in creating the artwork, rendering the audio - even downloading and EQ'ing,...but especially if its from a tape or other source-  then pressing to silvers...although that should be a much cheaper release when its done that way. I've seen and heard plenty of boots that were simply ripped off -/dime/ traders den torrents... , and then pressed and packaged for over $100. Thats fucking lame and opportunistic. They should be no more than $50 tops for a 3 disc set if thats the case.  You're paying for the convenience of not having to do all that yourself. My opinion is that its pretty lame to profit off what is freely shared on torrent sites , but it is of value to some people to not have to figure out all that torrent download/files shit .  (Hence, Moonchild...which are priced appropriately I guess  ) 

Now , if its a proprietary source , like many of these EV board tapes allegedly are, then they paid something for them ( which may be considerably more than  $10 K by the way) and they want to recoup and profit on their investment.  In which case its totally reasonable that a nicely packaged set from a hitherto unheard tape source should be more expensive. However , in this case ...putting out an incomplete release , and admonishing people for sharing is some very jive shit and is likely going to lose them followers, not attract. I would buy this release if it were priced somewhere under $200 and included every available bit from the tape. But this is fucking lame. No Stairway?? Why?? Maybe if we had some facts, we could understand better whats at play here. Maybe they paid $100,000 for that tape, maybe $500,000...or maybe $10,000. Who knows. Also, it used to be other labels debuted new sources. Is EV the only organization that has a monopoly on these...with a direct line to them? Hmmm?? Remember Black Dog...TDOLZ...all these other guys who dropped new stuff. Seems like EV has a monopoly on the soundboards. 

Anyone here that can shed some light on my questions? 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Anyone here that can shed some light on my questions? 

It seems to me that the SBs from the last decade and a half are pretty exclusive to Empress. And it has been said before, there's  someone asking hard cash for these gems. The first glut of SB Revolution releases came out in a time the silver market was still alive and kicking. They could release a nice 3CD aimed at the collector in a digi-pack or a 'XRCD' type  hardbound book/folder at 150 USD and everybody was oK (except those who had trouble with their EQ settings). With the decline of the silver market they had to redirect their business strategy. So the initial Deus Ex Machina releases were already combining AUD or other SB tapes with the new Seattle board to justify a higher price setting, before selling 'plain jane' jewel case sets. The Osaka board -which would turn out to be even more expensive-, 'forces' EV to get in to even more bizarre territory....spreading the source over individual singles, 2 CD sets and whatever. There is more. But when the anniversary hype is over, the most diehard 929 collector has invested 400 or 600 bucks. For Empress the only way to recoup their investment, I'm afraid. Just my sentiments, shoot whoever has different ideas.🖖

9 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

And once again: What is if EV couldn´t afford to buy & release any new material due to low sales, their fault alone? Who would provide us with new material, do you care about this?

He won't buy because he wants for free. I guess he also got his bread for free from his local bakery.

4 hours ago, tmtomh said:

It's excellent sounding, especially for a pre-'75 board. It is mono, however.

As for it not being complete, that is a shame, and we don't know if EVSD has the whole board or only part of it. Remember that a lot of pre-1975 Zep soundboards are incomplete - maybe even a majority of them.

It is unfortunate that Stairway and Friends aren't on this latest release, since they were released on two of the teaser CD-singles earlier.

The biggest absence, of course, is Whole Lotta Love. Would be great if that surfaced in the future.

From EV's perspective I spose I can see the logic in leaving them off, if your going to milk your customers don't rub it in releasing them same tracks again so quickly. Again though I'm guessing someone else will put out a knockoff that includes it all soon enough if you want a CD version.

The Orlando board was very nice as well compared to a lot of later years stuff so I'm not surprised this source is as well.

The biggest positive for me is that Dazed is complete, I feared it might just be a fragment but to hear the whole thing including all of Pennies From Heaven is a real treat. Whats more I think the lack of cuts during it perhaps hints that the board being incompete is due to editing after the fact and that we will get a more complete show sometime in the future.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

If I had the chance to buy a significant Led Zeppelin soundboard master tape (Say, 6/21) that had never been released, I'd drop 10k for it easily. I'm not rich either, but to me, that would be an invaluable thing to have and making a profit would be the last thing I'd worry about. Though I'd probably release 2 second samples on here just to troll everyone.

Troll yourself. You have completely no idea of how the biz is working and you're now trying to persuade us that if you'd take a board for a 10k, you could spread samples. Fuck you! 

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I have to say after listening to the three source merge (new sbd/stage mike/aud) I found myself disappointed when tracks went from the excellent old source to the new SBD. The new SBD though it has great clarity it's dead dry, it has all the life sucked out of it, no atmosphere at all. The old source though not perfect has great atmosphere and an ambience, it breathes, (all that is totally lacking in the new source) and it's stereo and of course has all the plantations, one of if not the best acoustic sections and my favourite ever Moby Dick in great quality, I feel like Bonzo is in the room with me flying from speaker to speaker. Now if someone were to do a matrix, that could potentially be fantastic.

3 hours ago, duckman said:

It seems to me that the SBs from the last decade and a half are pretty exclusive to Empress. And it has been said before, there's  someone asking hard cash for these gems. The first glut of SB Revolution releases came out in a time the silver market was still alive and kicking. They could release a nice 3CD aimed at the collector in a digi-pack or a 'XRCD' type  hardbound book/folder at 150 USD and everybody was oK (except those who had trouble with their EQ settings). With the decline of the silver market they had to redirect their business strategy. So the initial Deus Ex Machina releases were already combining AUD or other SB tapes with the new Seattle board to justify a higher price setting, before selling 'plain jane' jewel case sets. The Osaka board -which would turn out to be even more expensive-, 'forces' EV to get in to even more bizarre territory....spreading the source over individual singles, 2 CD sets and whatever. There is more. But when the anniversary hype is over, the most diehard 929 collector has invested 400 or 600 bucks. For Empress the only way to recoup their investment, I'm afraid. Just my sentiments, shoot whoever has different ideas.🖖

There seemed to be a gap between the SB releases that happened in the 90's from 73 and 80 and what we got latter. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly who put out all that earlier stuff  first but much of it was actually lables like Flying Disc Music that sold relatively cheap to the mass market so were offering decent money. I'd guess as that market was largely shut down it caused new sources to dry up and it was only the hype around the DVD and EV targeting a more luxury market on a decent scale that started things up again with the money to pay for sources.

I do generally still take the view that whilst its good this stuff is out there for free to those who want it there should be a bit of gratitude shown to those who pay for it rather than the hostility we often see, ultimately its there money that pays for this material to see the light of day. As pointed out above when the money wasn't there the sources largely dried up, whoever has these SB's isn't just going to release them out of the goodness of their heart.

3 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

Troll yourself. You have completely no idea of how the biz is working and you're now trying to persuade us that if you'd take a board for a 10k, you could spread samples. Fuck you! 

Okay, you obviously have mental issues. Goodbye.

I think all the last few days have done is to guarantee that EV won't be changing their new method of chopping up and trickling out any exclusive releases, if anything it's just going to get worse.

I can't see a solution - pay for streaming?   I assume a copy can be made of files being streamed though?

I can see EV wrapping up production on the exclusives - the slow release schedule for new SBD show's they are in no hurry for recoup their initial outlay or they simply buy them one at a time.   Perhaps the physical format is doomed as we knew it - tit for tat indeed.

58 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Okay, you obviously have mental issues. Goodbye.

I guess (in fact I know) Zepster1979 has a lot more info and knowledge about bootlegs from whatever source or company than most of the people around here.

I thought this was a discussion board? We're not here to persuade anyone, are we? Everyone seems to know best, especially what EVSD and Jimmy Page would or should do. I guess we'll have to deal with what we get. When you don't like it, don't buy it. It makes no sense complaining 'cause EVSD isn't changing the way they act.

I bought all 5 "Immigrant Song" and "Stairway To Heaven" covers (and the 5 "Black Dog" covers), received "Friends" for free. Just because I like the different Ukiyo-e covers! Ordered my copy of the new SBD - yes, right, with the Ukiyo-e cover! And I know for sure when they finally release the complete SBD-concert (as far as they have it), I will buy a copy again.

28 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

I guess (in fact I know) Zepster1979 has a lot more info and knowledge about bootlegs from whatever source or company than most of the people around here.

That's no excuse for acting like a daft dickhead on a music forum, I don't care who you are. It's not my fault someone doesn't have a sense of humor. He actually thought I was gonna sell samples? Jesus.

I see a lot of complaints about the audio sounding dry, but I think the only dry sounding track is "Friends". The rest have a very lively tone for a 71 soundboard. It's one of the few boards I've heard where there's more energy than the audience source. Page had such a great tone in 71. Not overly crunchy like 72 and 73, but not overly twangy like 75 and up. He had that straightforward "classic rock" tone.

Dumb question; Was "Black Dog" not the first track teased from this? What happened to it?

1 minute ago, gibsonfan159 said:

That's no excuse for acting like a daft dickhead on a music forum, I don't care who you are. It's not my fault someone doesn't have a sense of humor. He actually thought I was gonna sell samples? Jesus.

I see a lot of complaints about the audio sounding dry, but I think the only dry sounding track is "Friends". The rest have a very lively tone for a 71 soundboard. It's one of the few boards I've heard where there's more energy than the audience source. Page had such a great tone in 71. Not overly crunchy like 72 and 73, but not overly twangy like 75 and up. He had that straightforward "classic rock" tone.

Dumb question; Was "Black Dog" not the first track teased from this? What happened to it?

Black Dog is from  28/9/71.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:59 AM, John M said:

The way Friends is listed on the CD cover in the photo above looks odd - why is it separated out like that? 

I would buy this if it had Celebration Day.  For me the 1971 Celebration Days - and especially this show !!  -  are a holy grail.  Thankfully we have Toronto 71, but unfortunately the Orlando 71 SBD is missing Celebration Day.  And the Toronto recording does not sound nearly as good as what has been released of this recording.   I can assume that this totally kick-ass 9-29-71 Celebration Day would be absolutely staggering if it sounded like the 9-29 Immigrant song.

We already have Black Dog  9-28-71, and we already have Immigrant, Stairway, and Friends.

I wonder if they would sell alot more and make more money overall if they released it for say $50.

Yes. Yes, they would. Give the average boot collector a reasonable price that doesn't break the bank and these would sell like Canadian hotcakes. You can't get angry that a product doesn't sell if the people who desire it choose to pay rent instead.

Edit: If I can't afford to buy something anyway then downloading it for free makes no difference whatsoever. End of discussion.

So just after my post  things actually got more heated. Well, I disagree that complaints aren't going to change anything.... often times, protest and dissent are heard and can affect change. Maybe the folks at EV will modify their current method and give the majority of the die hard fans what they want , which is... as complete a soundboard show as possible (if they have an exclusive copy) , and price it reasonably.

Especially if it means they are not making the $$ they expected. The new trickle down tactic with this release should be met with frustration and protest, and should lose them $$. Fuck that shit.  I think most people here who are into live recordings don't care to have 3 additional discs of a commonly heard source. Unless you're a complete newbie and want to have the old 929. There's nothing new to add to an old audience tape or "old sbd". That 5 disc set is useless to me, why would I shell out 300 clams for it? That's for the collector.  The proprietary source is valuable and I would pay for it, but a partial release for $200+ ...nah thank yah. 

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Exactly: a dumb question as Black Dog is from the previous night (which in fact was released in 2016 as 5th disc of their "Rock Carnival" box-set).

I agree with those who are praising the overall sound of this soundboard. I find gibsonfan's comment about the sound of Friends interesting - and I think it makes sense as I've not heard a lot of Zep soundboards where both the acoustic set and the regular/electric tracks both sound equally good. My guess is that Friends sounds different and perhaps slightly inferior for that reason - the three instrumentalists moved to chairs, probably with different mics, and the whole tonal balance of the instruments was different - no thundering drumset and no electric bass or guitar.

On 9/30/2018 at 11:53 AM, hummingbird69 said:

Do you torrent already?  Unless they changed things over the years there is no reason to contact mods and ask them to change you to a guest.

Once you've confirmed your membership you should be able to post your own torrents and download existing torrents with your client right away. What torrent app do you use?

You need to be changed away from a guest now to be able to access the .torrent files. I don't know if it is a recent thing but that's how it was for me.

Archived