Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
gibsonfan159

Items you can't convince yourself to buy

Recommended Posts

While browsing through eBay for Zep stuff you'll find a lot of off-beat items.Thought I'd make a thread about some of the more strange or downright ridiculous ones we come across. Or items that are cool, but you just can't convince yourself to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Screenshot_20180520-164211.png

They are AWESOME. But that price.... SHEEEESH!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A pair of swimming trousers like these, will turn a few heads on the beach: "Hey Mister, I think you accidently  sat on your son's vanilla chocolate ice-cream". 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't bring myself to buy Carry Fire and  I'll never pay for a signed pic guard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, duckman said:

A pair of swimming trousers like these, will turn a few heads on the beach: "Hey Mister, I think you accidently  sat on your son's vanilla chocolate ice-cream". 😎

Lol. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase the “brown bomber”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

They are AWESOME. But that price.... SHEEEESH!!!!!!

Not even free shipping. If they were $15 I'd buy them just for the novelty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I can't bring myself to buy Carry Fire and  I'll never pay for a signed pic guard. 

I'd agree with this haha. I don't think Carry Fire is really all that great. The reality is that if it wasn't created partially by Robert I'd probably have a harsher critique. I actually like their previous album a lot better.

 

There's something about signed pick guards I really dislike. Unless it's on a guitar I'd never plan on using, one that is only for show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Here's a piece of cardboard for $44.

Screenshot_20180521-222936.png

That looks plastic to me! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nemophilist said:

I'd agree with this haha. I don't think Carry Fire is really all that great. The reality is that if it wasn't created partially by Robert I'd probably have a harsher critique. I actually like their previous album a lot better.

 

There's something about signed pick guards I really dislike. Unless it's on a guitar I'd never plan on using, one that is only for show.

His last couple of albums are the sort of fair that gets rave reviews from papers like The Observer and The Guardian, but how many people actually listen to it more than a couple of times after they’ve bought it?

Talking to non-Zep heads, the Plant album they rate the most is Raising Sand.

And I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Plant wasn’t the boss in that one and he had to relinquish a lot of control to T-Bone Burnett, and to a lesser extent Alison K.

plants not a great songwriter from scratch, and is at his best adding lyrics to a basic structure or contributing to a work in progress.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Here's a piece of cardboard for $44.

Screenshot_20180521-222936.png

 

I can see the direction of this thread turning on just crapping on anything.  

 

Someone wants to pay why not ?  You may think it's some crap cardboard for $40 but I see a beautiful addition to a Zeppelin shrine.  I'm very certain there are tons of Zeppelin fans who would love to have that and especially put the Record Store Day Record in it and add it to their shrine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Quote

 

I am a serious Led Zeppelin Fan and, like I have posted, I really have bought nearly 100 Led Zeppelin T-shirts within the past 8 months.  100 Led Zeppelin T-shirts in the past 8 months.  Can anyone claim to do the same thing?  

Just imagine Buying 100 brand new 2XL Led Zeppelin shirts.  I have the cash to buy them so I did.  I will admit that it is a great FUCKING feeling to recieve all these Awesome Shirts in the mail.  

Living in the Dallas/Plano area, I get a lot of people/stranges who congrratulate me on the Led Zeppelin attire that I  wear.  That is My goal.  

Edited by kingzoso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

 

I can see the direction of this thread turning on just crapping on anything.  

 

Someone wants to pay why not ?  You may think it's some crap cardboard for $40 but I see a beautiful addition to a Zeppelin shrine.  I'm very certain there are tons of Zeppelin fans who would love to have that and especially put the Record Store Day Record in it and add it to their shrine.

 

 

I think it’s a case of fans don’t want to see people paying over the odds for items, rather than them being negative about collecting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

 

I can see the direction of this thread turning on just crapping on anything.  

 

Someone wants to pay why not ?  You may think it's some crap cardboard for $40 but I see a beautiful addition to a Zeppelin shrine.  I'm very certain there are tons of Zeppelin fans who would love to have that and especially put the Record Store Day Record in it and add it to their shrine.

 

 

Then I'm doing a service by advertising it. Nothing will stop people from hitting the buy button.

But let's be real; $800 for a long box CD? That's an interesting proposition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Screenshot_20180520-164211.png

No, no, no just no. I wouldn't have worn those when I was in my twenties, mind you nobody wore shorts in those days maybe one in a thousand wore cut off denims..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

His last couple of albums are the sort of fair that gets rave reviews from papers like The Observer and The Guardian, but how many people actually listen to it more than a couple of times after they’ve bought it?

Talking to non-Zep heads, the Plant album they rate the most is Raising Sand.

And I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Plant wasn’t the boss in that one and he had to relinquish a lot of control to T-Bone Burnett, and to a lesser extent Alison K.

plants not a great songwriter from scratch, and is at his best adding lyrics to a basic structure or contributing to a work in progress.

 

 

 

I've listened to both of his last two albums a lot more than a couple of times.

Your comment about Plant as a songwriter is purely subjective, in terms of melody, I think he's as good as any singer out there.

Back on topic, I wouldn't pay over the odds for most things, I'm merely interested in buying the CDs & listening to the music, I'm not fussed about clothes or deluxe boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've listened to both of his last two albums a lot more than a couple of times.

Your comment about Plant as a songwriter is purely subjective, in terms of melody, I think he's as good as any singer out there.

Good for you.

Couldn't give a monkey's tadger what you think or do.

Ever since I posted a link to an article about Page in The Sun - which sent you into a political sanctimonious frenzy - you have disagreed with every single thing I have posted.

It's very sad and petty that you're still holding a grudge. 

And even sadder that you introduced politics into the Zep forum in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Good for you.

Couldn't give a monkey's tadger what you think or do.

Ever since I posted a link to an article about Page in The Sun - which sent you into a political sanctimonious frenzy - you have disagreed with every single thing I have posted.

It's very sad and petty that you're still holding a grudge. 

And even sadder that you introduced politics into the Zep forum in the first place. 

I didn't even realise you were the same person who posted that article, no grudge here & apologies if it came across that way.

Maybe we just disagree on some things, which happens. I don't think my post on this thread was particularly aggressive towards you though & I've no interest in discussing politics on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit that I recently purchased two items; one is a Led Zeppelin t-shirt that found at Target, of all places (they also had Journey, I think!), and the same t-shirt with the swan song guy replaced with a cat and the words, "Cat Zeppelin" over the top.

image.png.88b6f2f9188b3330e0265b9a985c465d.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I'll admit that I recently purchased two items; one is a Led Zeppelin t-shirt that found at Target, of all places (they also had Journey, I think!), and the same t-shirt with the swan song guy replaced with a cat and the words, "Cat Zeppelin" over the top.

image.png.88b6f2f9188b3330e0265b9a985c465d.png

 

I think you misunderstand the thread concept. Items you can't convince yourself to buy.

Let me know when you get this one.

Screenshot_20180522-151133.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

His last couple of albums are the sort of fair that gets rave reviews from papers like The Observer and The Guardian, but how many people actually listen to it more than a couple of times after they’ve bought it?

Talking to non-Zep heads, the Plant album they rate the most is Raising Sand.

And I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Plant wasn’t the boss in that one and he had to relinquish a lot of control to T-Bone Burnett, and to a lesser extent Alison K.

plants not a great songwriter from scratch, and is at his best adding lyrics to a basic structure or contributing to a work in progress.

 

 

 

I agree. He seems to be at his best when he is just giving input on the songwriting process but not really steering it too much. His lyrics are still very good as well, I just dislike some of the musical direction and primarily the production. But I dislike the production on most records that are released these days. I just feel like pro tools sucks a lot of the essence, spirit and sound out of performances. Then you have to try and compensate during the mastering process and you can just tell it's overly produced and computerized.

I'm really not too knowledgeable of how his band creates songs though. For instance, does he just assemble a group of like-minded musicians and let them create songs freely or does he sequentially dictate what sound they're going to go for? It's something i've always wondered. It seems to me that he might not dictate but he does kind of strongly urge them to go in certain directions. It's understandable because those bands are a manifestation of his visions and desires.

That's also similar to what I imagine when it comes to the creation of walking into clarksdale as well. I can imagine that Jimmy probably had some other ideas around that time that Robert wasn't too enthusiastic about for that particular project based off of what his vision was. I'm just speculating, but when you listen to a track like Domino it's more similar to a track off of John Paul Jones solo album opposed to what they were going for on Walking into Clarksdale.

Edited by nemophilist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×