Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ZepHead315

Recordings that have "that special something" for you

Recommended Posts

We've talked a lot about the best recordings of the band, but what about recordings that may not be perfect, but have some sort of unique quality that draws you in?

For example, one of my favorite recordings of the band is the 8/21/71 LA show. It's not the best by any means, but I LOVE how Bonzo's drums come across on that. Each hit on his drums sounds like an explosion or a cannon going off. Honestly, it may be the best recording I've ever heard of him in terms of showing how LOUD he sounded.

I also enjoy the 4/28/77 Cleveland, 6/11/77 New York, and 7/17/77 Seattle audience tapes because of how boomy they sound. They're so atmospheric and the band sounds absolutely massive. You get a sense of the vastness of the arenas as well as just how many people were in the crowd. It's a great vibe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

 

For example, one of my favorite recordings of the band is the 8/21/71 LA show. It's not the best by any means, but I LOVE how Bonzo's drums come across on that. Each hit on his drums sounds like an explosion or a cannon going off. Honestly, it may be the best recording I've ever heard of him in terms of showing how LOUD he sounded.

I feel the same about 8/31/71 Orlando. I'd probably pay more for this complete soundboard than any other show. I just love the rawness of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't know if this counts; I was listening to a Matrix of the 6-18-80 show; was a bit thrown off that JPJ sounded a bit buried in the mix at the open for the first few songs, but I just adjusted and enjoyed it. One of the best from the 80s, so maybe there's a better boot where Jonesy is more upfront...

 

 

Edited by paul carruthers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madison Square Garden 11 June 1977.  It was the only Zeppelin show I attended.  For years there was that clear soundboard section of No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, etc. and a lousy audience tape.  Last year  I found a much better audience tape on YouTube.  It captures the sound and the mood very well.  Of course now when I go to get the link to post here I find some newer versions posted.  Love the photo in the first one.

And then we have this great SBD/AUD matrix of No Quarter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1977/06/11 is a prime example. One of my favorites is Pittsburgh 1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sue Dounim said:

1977/06/11 is a prime example. One of my favorites is Pittsburgh 1973

I can't speak for others but I am of the opinion the 77' NY run was actually a tad bit better than the LA run the same year. What I am referring to is all the shows except for one were very consistently top notch from beginning to end. Sure, 6-21 had insane energy, 6-23 had the playful and fun spirit but five of the six night's at MSG were near perfect, kinda like 6-22 but for five night's.

What say you all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have so many SB's from '75. WTF happened to '77???? (NY and LA specifically)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 june 1977, because its the real first bootleg i listened if i forget earls court 75 and msg73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IpMan said:

I can't speak for others but I am of the opinion the 77' NY run was actually a tad bit better than the LA run the same year. What I am referring to is all the shows except for one were very consistently top notch from beginning to end. Sure, 6-21 had insane energy, 6-23 had the playful and fun spirit but five of the six night's at MSG were near perfect, kinda like 6-22 but for five night's.

What say you all? 

There could be some truth in that.  I'll admit, I've never listened to 6/8, and have only listened to parts of 6/14.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that there is "something special" about April 27th, 1969.  The performance is epic and the interactions between the crowd and the band, or at least Robert are unique.  Plant's not yet to his cocky confidence, even sounding a little sheepish while the crowd waits for adjustments to Bonzo's snare.  As the show progresses RP banters easily with the audience.  "Oh, is this a going away present?" Panties or a joint? 😙

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

We have so many SB's from '75. WTF happened to '77???? (NY and LA specifically)

Peter Grant finally found the employee running a line out of the P.A. lol. Buried in the desert somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19. Sept. 1970/MSG/evening show. This show is simply outstanding. It may took a little while to get used to the sound of the recording, but now I like it more than some "objective better" sounding audience recordings. IMO the best available is the Eat a Peach release.

13. Sept. 1971/Berkeley. Again, an incredible performance with a nice natural sound, sometimes easier for my ears than the legendary gig on the 14th. I am happy with the Graf Zeppelin version.

At last, a recording with "that very special something" : 12. July 1973/Cobo Hall Detroit. Though this audience recording is described as very good to excellent, I can`t stand it. This sound is brutal torture, after two songs I am starting to feel unwell, God, how I hate this piece of trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

At last, a recording with "that very special something" : 12. July 1973/Cobo Hall Detroit. Though this audience recording is described as very good to excellent, I can`t stand it. This sound is brutal torture, after two songs I am starting to feel unwell, God, how I hate this piece of trash.

Fair enough. I would describe this recording as a beautiful priceless treasure. Different strokes...

But I enjoy audience/lo-fi recordings to the point of almost preferring them.

Beyond the usual suspects, these are recordings that have become for me indispensable.

1969-01-31 New York

1971-09-03 New York

1972-12-22 London

1973-03-17 Munich

1975-01-22 Chicago

1977-06-26 Los Angeles

1980-06-23 Bremen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Fair enough. I would describe this recording as a beautiful priceless treasure. Different strokes...

But I enjoy audience/lo-fi recordings to the point of almost preferring them.

Don`t get me wrong, I love audience recordings & usually prefer them to SBs, but I have a serious problem with that Detroit recording. It is only fair to call the sound quality VG - EX, but sadly not for my ears.

 

20 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

1973-03-17 Munich

Have you heard  the Tarantura2K "Songs For Europe" yet? This should be very good, maybe from a lower generation tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8/23/71 Fort Worth.  I absolutely LOVE the deep snap/pop sound of Bonzo's snare in this (phenomenal) recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

8/23/71 Fort Worth.  I absolutely LOVE the deep snap/pop sound of Bonzo's snare in this (phenomenal) recording.

I think I'm going to give that one a spin this weekend...indeed an incredible recording and an outstanding performance. A pity Jonesy is a bit low in the mix.

Another one that is seriously underrated IMHO is the April 1970 Tampa show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offenburg 73 has a vibe to it, all the way through. Munich as well. I love the sound of those audience tapes even though they're not super clear. They really capture the raw electricity and the level of musical interaction was at a peak on that tour. Bonzo was just burning! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Don`t get me wrong, I love audience recordings & usually prefer them to SBs, but I have a serious problem with that Detroit recording. It is only fair to call the sound quality VG - EX, but sadly not for my ears.

Yeah, for me it's Copenhagen '79. I consistently see these listed as great audience recordings. Top performances and a must listen? Sure. But these are recordings I listen to in spite of their shortcomings. I file 'em under tolerable.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Have you heard  the Tarantura2K "Songs For Europe" yet? This should be very good, maybe from a lower generation tape.

Not yet. Looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the energy from 8/31/1969 Texas International Pop Festival. They had so much fun. HMMT from this show is my favorite live moment.

Offenburg 1973 is another one. Definitely my favorite WLL, maybe my favorite SIBLY and I enjoy every second of D&C. Essen, Munich, Vienna are all great shows but Offenburg has the special something for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to some of these "live recordings" and the quality is just terrible. I am not complaining or anything because I love how Zeppelin changed the songs from night to night. Though the recordings Iv'e heard on this post {NYC77} are terrible. I am totally sure if you where there it was amazing show. Can you guys guide me to better sounding Zeppelin shows, with rich bass, thundering Bonzo, wizard spider finger Page, and howling wolf Plant? Besides Listen to this Eddie.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×