Cause of plant/JPJ friction

A world where people respect fellow workers abilities 

and what they bring to the table and where "piss taking" 

isn't used as "only having a laugh mate " an excuse to be rude by the back door.

Plant has over the last 30 years become steadily more sniffy about Zeppelin 

and his two former bandmates .He hides behind these tongue in cheek remarks

but what grates is he never talks of them or the band that made him in complimentary terms 

The parking the car comment which started this thread is one of many small disrespects 

that don't forget,led to JPJ commenting publicly about "my friends finally remembered my phone number"

So he clearly did take it to heart.  Sorry to be so po faced .You see humour i see bad manners 

Too much of it in the world  these days .

24 minutes ago, andrew r said:

isn't used as "only having a laugh mate " an excuse to be rude by the back door.

but what grates is he never talks of them or the band that made him in complimentary terms 

The parking the car comment which started this thread is one of many small disrespects 

that don't forget,led to JPJ commenting publicly about "my friends finally remembered my phone number"

So he clearly did take it to heart.  Sorry to be so po faced .You see humour i see bad manners 

Parties at your house must be a riot.

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

Parties at your house must be a riot.

Is that your best shot at an answer ? I was trying to put forward a point of view 

i thought you might construct a reposte. Evidently not . Parties at yours, must turn into a riot?

Edited by andrew r
didn't finish comment

15 minutes ago, andrew r said:

Is that your best shot at an answer ? 

It wasn't an attempt at an answer, it was merely an observation (intended with a bit of humour).

I realise all these things that Plant says 'grate' with you (which is fair enough) but to me, I find them mildly amusing & tend to just get on with my life without worrying about what some millionaires are saying about each other on the telly.

Edited by Mook

13 hours ago, Mook said:

Where are you from?

I can't speak for anyone else but all me & my pals ever do is rip the piss out of each other, it's just the way a lot of blokes in Britain behave. Jones & Page clearly don't take it to heart or we would have never had the O2 gig. 

If you don't find him funny, that's fine, but I really wouldn't take his flippant comments so seriously.

I get that. There’s plenty of piss taking in the States too... better known as ball busting.. Maybe not to the same level as where you live Mook. But with some of my friends, it can be brutal. 

But, most of those witty RP interviews from the mid 80’s early 90’s, he talks of when “Page and I were doing this” and “Me and Page doing that” or “Page and I get all kinds of offers to do it again”.... Jimmy this Jimmy that..He almost never mentioned Jones or what he bought to Led Zeppelin. Mostly just these odd, off the cuff remarks. Like Page and Plant did everything. The exclusion, plus the ribbing did not come off as good natured. Not to me anyway..

Seems to have blown over years ago so great, whatever. 

Not much to add beyond when I first heard the "parking the car," comment, I just thought it was fucking funny. So friends can joke around and tweak each other (Alex Lifeson story I'm too lazy to spell out).

Anyone who has listened to enough boots knows how funny Robert is between songs, so nuff said...

1 minute ago, paul carruthers said:

Not much to add beyond when I first heard the "parking the car," comment, I just thought it was fucking funny. So friends can joke around and tweak each other (Alex Lifeson story I'm too lazy to spell out).

Anyone who has listened to enough boots knows how funny Robert is between songs, so nuff said...

Robert's funny, do the others get the joke? Try taking the piss out of Planty he's

not so easy going then. 

On 5/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, paplbojo said:

I think it is nothing more than people with different and conflicting personalities. I don't think the animosity was ever hateful, I would guess that the comment OP referenced was made in a way of two guys digging at one another...as many guys do, even good friends. In fact that's who people usually have the most fun giving digs at, not that they were necessarily "friends". Of course remember that they became closer than ever before around the time of ITTOD. Probably very overblown and taking comments out of context, we know Plant is always very sarcastic.

Again, before very many No Quarters RP would introduce JPJ and make mention of his "poshness", but still it was never made in a way that I interpreted to be anything other than a guy poking fun, not attempting to actually be mean.

Cannot imagine that RP is in any way shape or form intimidated by JPJ. And not the other way around either.

Can definitely imagine this happening.

Image result for robert plant and john paul jones

Image result for robert plant and john paul jones

A Picture is with a thousand words. 

Let it go. Two pages of wondering if he was being humorous or not????  (Comment not directed to you, paplbojo; just used your picture) 

It’s Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary year. Go put on some of their music and relax. 

R😎👍

Edited by reids

10 hours ago, reids said:

A Picture is with a thousand words. 

Let it go. Two pages of wondering if he was being humorous or not????  (Comment not directed to you, paplbojo; just used your picture) 

It’s Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary year. Go put on some of their music and relax. 

R😎👍

Nice photo as that's been my profile photo for several years!

15 hours ago, andrew r said:

He;s said many nice things about Zep, Page and Jones over the years. I've not heard Page or Jones say anything about Robert complimentary though. I think you are reading too into his comments - his sense of humor is what it is and often pulled out to deflect having yet more discussions on Zep when he's being interviewed based on a new release.

Reposting this picture as it seems to have not posted correctly originally:

Robert Plant. John Paul Jones. Led Zeppelin #monochrome

11 hours ago, reids said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

He;s said many nice things about Zep, Page and Jones over the years. I've not heard Page or Jones say anything about Robert complimentary though. I think you are reading too into his comments - his sense of humor is what it is and often pulled out to deflect having yet more discussions on Zep when he's being interviewed based on a new release.

Page has said many nice things about RP over the years. He has fully acknowledged how important RP was to the entire thing. Also FWIW JPJ once said Stairway to Heaven is beautifully sung, so that's something. While not singling out Plant by name he has spoken at length about how great they were and how each member of the band was on top of their game. If my memory serves me the 2003 interview on youtube would support this.

6 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Reposting this picture as it seems to have not posted correctly originally:

Robert Plant. John Paul Jones. Led Zeppelin #monochrome

Agreed

Page has said many nice things about RP over the years. He has fully acknowledged how important RP was to the entire thing. Also FWIW JPJ once said Stairway to Heaven is beautifully sung, so that's something. While not singling out Plant by name he has spoken at length about how great they were and how each member of the band was on top of their game. If my memory serves me the 2003 interview on youtube would support this.

I've not heard any of that but it's good to know. 

I really can't imagine someone holding a grudge over comments like these...  Two grown men would be all bitter and shit over these jokey comments?  I doubt it.  I'd imagine something much deeper than this...  

Women, on the other hand, DO get that bent out of shape...don't get me started!  haha!

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2018 at 5:20 PM, SteveAJones said:

I take Cole's comments with a huge grain of salt. For one thing, it was actually Cole, not JPJ, who was often at odds with Plant. In fact, when JPJ did go to see Plant's show in Bristol (12/4/83) he jammed with him. 

Really ??? JPJ got up on stage and jammed with Plant at the show? Can anyone confirm this do you have any documentation on this how do you know this!? How awesome would that have been to see! Is there a video of it anywhere? Even a picture? Now I can't sleep at night I have to know  ANYONE.....?

1 hour ago, z1inspector said:

Really ??? JPJ got up on stage and jammed with Plant at the show? Can anyone confirm this do you have any documentation on this how do you know this!? How awesome would that have been to see! Is there a video of it anywhere? Even a picture? Now I can't sleep at night I have to know  ANYONE.....?

JPJ on bass for 'Little Sister', a song Robert had performed with Rockpile at the Concert for Kampuchea held in Hammersmith Odeon four years prior (12/29/79). Each had participated in that concert. Note Bristol was the closest destination on the tour to where JPJ was residing at the time near Bath. I don't have any press coverage, photos or recordings on file however sam_webmaster might.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

JPJ on bass for 'Little Sister', a song Robert had performed with Rockpile at the Concert for Kampuchea held in Hammersmith Odeon four years prior (12/29/79). Each had participated in that concert. Note Bristol was the closest destination on the tour to where JPJ was residing at the time near Bath. I don't have any press coverage, photos or recordings on file however sam_webmaster might.

There's a decent tape of the JPJ jam. I haven't heard it in a while but it's better than the Kampuchea version of Little Sister. 

On this RP tour: JPJ jammed in Bristol, JP in London and Jason in Birmingham.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:25 AM, sam_webmaster said:

There's a decent tape of the JPJ jam. I haven't heard it in a while but it's better than the Kampuchea version of Little Sister. 

well ......... I bet you know what I'm about to ask

On 10/24/2019 at 8:25 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I humbly ask that you post anything you got on these shows? PLEASE Sir! 

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2018 at 2:58 AM, SteveAJones said:

He alludes to JPJ and double-glazing twice, possibly a reference to the album cover for Scream For Help. 

thJFVQNPP5.jpg

A double glazing salesman is generally a term used to talk about someone who spends a lot of time trash talking their competitors, since, double glazing salesmen often trash talk their competitors to justify their very high prices. John Paul Jones did do some trash talking about Robert and Page's "Unledded" project, particularly the fact that they played No Quarter, his "signature" Led Zeppelin song, without him. I think that Robert Plant is just taking the piss on John Paul Jones as a response to those criticisms, but I don't think he has much animosity towards JPJ as a person.