Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kingzoso

Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

Posted (edited)

This topic may already exist (and if it does, I apologize) but I  think that if Us fans of Led Zeppelin  are of simliar tastes alot of Us are also fans of Priest and Maiden.  

In Your opinion,  which of these two Heavy Metal Giants do you prefer?

Myself, I  Love both.  I can't really say who u is better or superior.  

In My opinion, they both have a discography that ranks as some of the Greatest songs in Heavy Metal History. 

Please agree or disagree with Me.

Edited by kingzoso

I got to see Maiden open for Priest a couple of times in the early '80s. I prefer Priest, but still love Di'Anno era Maiden. 

Maiden has the more consistent discography, but Priest has more variety. For me this would be a question of eras. If we're talking 80s Priest versus 80s Maiden, Maiden wins hands down for me. But if we're talking 70s Priest versus 80s Maiden, it's more neck and neck. I don't know if I can choose. They're both great bands. I'll leave it at that.

I love them both. But Priest has a more diverse catalogue.  Their "70s material is amazing. 

I'm a huge fan of both bands.  I generally agree with the observations here re. Priest's superior overall variety, esp. their 70's output, and I'd probably also give Maiden a very slight edge on 80's stuff alone.  I still follow Priest actively (love Firepower, their latest), but to be honest I stopped following Maiden after Dickinson left the band after Fear of the Dark, and for some reason I couldn't get motivated to check out their material after he returned.  (I still listen to their older material regularly.)  

Priest, Maiden is very good but I prefer Priest.

Priest. I've tried Maiden so many times but just can't get into them. A little too cartoonish for me. I admire the fact that they've stuck to their sound for so long though. 

Slightly OT, but there's a funny story about Maiden sending a demo tape (with their pre-di'Anno singer, I believe) to Swan Song offices in the late '70's, but it was of course lost in the drug haze there.  (And also probably irrelevant, but Priest was on the bill at the notorious final Zep shows in Oakland in '77.)

58 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

(And also probably irrelevant, but Priest was on the bill at the notorious final Zep shows in Oakland in '77.)

I remember reading that Priest got booed off the stage.

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Slightly OT, but there's a funny story about Maiden sending a demo tape (with their pre-di'Anno singer, I believe) to Swan Song offices in the late '70's, but it was of course lost in the drug haze there.  (And also probably irrelevant, but Priest was on the bill at the notorious final Zep shows in Oakland in '77.)

Excellent points as I remember knowing the same.  

Judas Priest was the opening act in Oakland in 1977 but as far as I know and have read, Led Zeppelin were not even in the Stadium when Judas Priest opened the show.

I can only speculate if the members of Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin ever met at that time in Oakland in what was to be Led Zeppelins final performance in the United States.  

On 5/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I remember reading that Priest got booed off the stage.

I've never heard that. What's your source?

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I've never heard that. What's your source?

In the YouTube comments. Take that however you want.

Screenshot_20180530-151407.png

5 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

In the YouTube comments. Take that however you want.

Screenshot_20180530-151407.png

I don't believe anything I read in YouTube comment section. I have found so many bullshit lies and factual errors in YouTube it makes your head spin.

30 minutes ago, Strider said:

I don't believe anything I read in YouTube comment section. I have found so many bullshit lies and factual errors in YouTube it makes your head spin.

Are there any detailed reviews of this show?

Although I really like Iron Maiden, it's "THE PRIEST' for me.  Check out this performance:

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Are there any detailed reviews of this show?

This site has a review from the Oakland Tribune of the Day on the Green shows. Go to the Timeline.

Judas Priest was the first band and they only had a 30-minute set time. They played six songs. Derringer played next and then Zeppelin.

So it sounds like reports of Judas being booed off after three songs are bogus.

If other shows Judas Priest played that summer are any guide, it seems highly probable that the Oakland setlist was:

1. Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest

2. Diamonds and Rust

3. Victim of Changes

4. Ripper

5. Sinner

6. Genocide

Here's a photo of Judas Priest at the 1977 Oakland Day on the Green.

xdqazh20kgtz-1.thumb.jpg.b149cf98ad558b92be64902fb16f4c0e.jpg

Edited by Strider