Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Rover

What one song would you choose for Led Zeppelin to be remembered by ?

If I had to choose one song to be remembered by. That song would have to be the beat that started the industrial revolution. When The Levee Breaks.  

"Stairway to Heaven"  Their crowning achievement and the epitome of what Jimmy page set out for the band - the perfect combination of light and heavy.

Agree with Stryder. 

I Look at it this way: Assume the world ends....a few survive, as always happens. Decades turn to centuries and technology slowly comes back. Finally someone finds or rebuilds an 8 track or cassette player and gets it to work...

Okay, far fetched I know but ..... which Zep song would you want to survive, which ONE Zeppelin song would you want the people to hear? Gotta be Stairway To Heaven!

Ramble On.

I think its the epitome of the blend of "light & shade" and acoustic/electric guitar that Jimmy Page strove for. And the bass line by John Paul Jones is one of the finest that he committed to record.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dandak said:

Agree with Stryder. 

I Look at it this way: Assume the world ends....a few survive, as always happens. Decades turn to centuries and technology slowly comes back. Finally someone finds or rebuilds an 8 track or cassette player and gets it to work...

Okay, far fetched I know but ..... which Zep song would you want to survive, which ONE Zeppelin song would you want the people to hear? Gotta be Stairway To Heaven!

Going by that it would be one of two for me....

A really early piece - which I'd choose to be How Many More Times - so people heard it and wondered what kind of magic this band would go onto create.

A really late piece for similar reasons - Achilles Last Stand - so people would marvel at what must have come before for that late masterpiece.

Whether live or studio, I'm really not sure either.

All that aside, and to choose only ONE - I go with IMTOD (studio). As good a representation of the band and their individual and combined talents as any.

Edited by rm2551

OTHAFA

It's original, has good, inspiring lyrics, and takes less patience to listen to than Stairway, Kashmir, or Achilles. I think it's their most defining song.

Obviously none of these picks are correct. You can say Ten Years Gone or Achilles Last Stand or In My Time Of Dying. However there really is only 2 songs that would define Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven and/or Black Dog. If I were to personally choose a song that has been officially released, it would have to be Dazed and Confused from TSRTS 1973. If I were to choose and unreleased song it would be Dazed and Confused from 1969 London club- one of the best and gritest performances from Zeppelin. 

I've got three...

'Friends'

'Thank You'

'Out On The Tiles'

There's a line from 'Out On The Tiles' that I think speaks volumes.. It's verse two line one: "I'm so glad I'm living and I'm going to tell the world that I am"...

On 8/30/2018 at 1:52 PM, Stryder1978 said:

"Stairway to Heaven"  Their crowning achievement and the epitome of what Jimmy page set out for the band - the perfect combination of light and heavy.

When I was a little boy, there were two records that impressed me. From my father's 45 collection: Les Paul & Mary Ford - "Tiger Rag," for that beautiful guitar sound that I fell in love with. And Prokofiev's "Peter And The Wolf," with it's shades of light and dark. STH is the synthesis of that childhood love.

If we're going with just audio, it would be a hard pick for me between Ramble On, Ten Years Gone or the Rain Song... for the light and shade aspect that others have mentioned.

If we're going to add in the performance element, I'd say Whole Lotta Love from the the Song Remains the Same... It starts and ends with blistering drums from Bonzo, there is good back and forth between Robert and Jimmy and between Bonzo and JPJ; it has the theremin, the flaming gong, the improv breakdown in the middle, all without going into 20 minute plus territory. All that's missing is a little JPJ organ or Jimmy's bowing and it would be the perfect encapsulation of Zep live at their peak. 

On 8/30/2018 at 5:01 PM, Victor said:

That would have to be somewhere up there with the best. I think JP achieves in that one track what most guitarists have failed to achieve in a lifetime, and the climax of the violin bow is one of the most incredible moments in music.....

Nailed it kid !

On 8/31/2018 at 1:32 PM, TheMadIrishman said:

1969 London club- one of the best and gritest performances from Zeppelin. 

March 28 Marquee Club?

On 5/28/2018 at 10:42 PM, The Rover said:

...My choice would be the 1973 live version of "Dazed And Confused" from NYC-MSG, as released in 1976, with TSRTS soundtrack...

Spot on, I concur with this 100%.

In my opinion, that performance epitomized everything that made Zeppelin the singular band that it was, is, and always will be.