Weakest Studio Album Opening Track

My Vote goes to "Custard Pie", the opening track on Physical Graffiti.

Besides, I think that the song I chose as my User Name, "The Rover," would have easily been a stronger opening statement for that album !!

Yeah, this was a band that really knew how to open an album.

If I had to pick a weakest opener, though, it would be what's been mentioned: either Custard Pie or the fake-soundcheck We're Gonna Groove from Coda. I love Custard Pie, and like paul, I prefer the real live version of WGG to the fake version on Coda. On the other hand, the 7-track Physical Graffiti Deluxe Companion disc opens with a version of Trampled Under Foot, and I've been very impressed with that as an opener. So I agree there were other choices besides Custard Pie to open PG well.

There's only one answer. "We're Gonna Groove" from CODA by a country mile.

"The Rover" is a great tune, better than "Custard Pie", no question. But the nature of its slinky, spacious opening and the serpentine guitar solo that closes it, makes it the perfect link between "Custard Pie" and "In My Time of Dying".

"Custard Pie", with its emphatic opening riff, is a better way to start the album.

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

A weak opening track on a Zep record--surely you jest? Seriously, the only thing I can think of is the leftovers album, CODA. Nothing wrong with that one except I think Jimmy snipped the live one--better to always watch the DVD...

Okay... let's not get tied up in semantics. Yes, I could have titled the thread "What is the least strongest opening track on the studio albums?" But, any Zep song is worthy... I think we can all agree on that!

2 hours ago, Strider said:

There's only one answer. "We're Gonna Groove" from CODA by a country mile.

"The Rover" is a great tune, better than "Custard Pie", no question. But the nature of its slinky, spacious opening and the serpentine guitar solo that closes it, makes it the perfect link between "Custard Pie" and "In My Time of Dying".

"Custard Pie", with its emphatic opening riff, is a better way to start the album.

I love "We're Gonna Groove" from Coda. I play that more than any of the other songs from Coda. I'll have to disagree about "Custard Pie". The general idea is you start an album with a strong(er) track. "Custard Pie," I think takes some getting used to. But, "The Rover" was instantly accessible, to me. My second choice to open PG would have been "Night Flight."

As for TU... I am so spoiled by the live versions, that I just don't go back to the studio version for inspiration. But I could site quite a few more like that...

50 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I don't know about weakest, but I think the strangest is Achilles. Opening with your most epic track makes the rest of the album sound weak.

Yes, that does seem strange to me as well. Like the Three Bears... I prefer the opener to be just right... not too long, and not too short, as IS is and was.

For Presence... NFBM should have been the opener.

I still think that GTBT was and is one of the best openers, of any debut album, ever.

29 minutes ago, The Rover said:

I still think that GTBT was and is one of the best openers, of any debut album, ever.

I could write a novel about how unique and revolutionary GTBT was for the time. Very underrated track.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I don't know about weakest, but I think the strangest is Achilles. Opening with your most epic track makes the rest of the album sound weak.

I’ve always thought that Achilles on Presence and Song Remains The Same on Houses seemed similar in that they each seemed like a big epic piece of the album and they start the album right of the gate.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

Custard Pie???? Really??? Jeeez that was unexpected. Great rocker to open the greatest album of all time.

Black Dog maybe, but I don't think there is a weak one.

I totally agree. Custard Pie is a perfect opener. Night Flight would've been great too , but not better. Custard Pie is an ass kicker! Inthink side 1 of PG is perfectly arranged .

Black Dog may be the most questionable choice but I wouldn't say it's weak. Rock and Roll would've been a better choice  to open LZ4. I agree also about Achilles not being the best opener...I think NFBM would've been a better choice. But,  none are weak....just maybe questionable. I dunno. 

5 hours ago, wordev1977 said:

I’ve always thought that Achilles on Presence and Song Remains The Same on Houses seemed similar in that they each seemed like a big epic piece of the album and they start the album right of the gate.

I don't find that to be the case  . The only similarity they share is the tempo. I think TSRTS is a perfect opener because it's got a bright major key, sunny vibe, it's not too long and the segue into Rain Song is just perfect. Achilles is minor key, more forboding and menacing, and it's long. It sets the tone of seriousness and difficult circumstances of the Presence sessions. Very different songs. 

I think NFBM would maybe have been a better choice to open Presence. But, who cares what I think?? 😄

6 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Black Dog maybe, but I don't think there is a weak one.

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Black Dog may be the most questionable choice but I wouldn't say it's weak. Rock and Roll would've been a better choice  to open LZ4

I can see the point about Rock and Roll.  Would have been a more traditional/expected choice of opener, but that is part of the genius of opening the album with Black Dog.  Not only is it a new sound and approach for the band, it has a very unexpected opening with that brief lead in before the actual a cappela opening.  The first few seconds leave us unsettled and unsure of what to expect, then Plant kicks it off all by himself.   Genius and a great way to open the album.  The whole song is unexpected and very different for anyone at the time with its quirky stop time rhythms and vocal only sections throughout.  To follow that with their most straightforward rocker ever is a real twist, especially since Rock and Roll would be an obvious choice for the opening track.     

3 minutes ago, John M said:

it has a very unexpected opening with that brief lead in before the actual a cappela opening.  The first few seconds leave us unsettled and unsure of what to expect, then Plant kicks it off all by himself.   Genius and a great way to open the album.  The whole song is unexpected and very different for anyone at the time with its quirky stop time rhythms and vocal only sections throughout.  To follow that with their most straightforward rocker ever is a real twist, especially since Rock and Roll would be an obvious choice for the opening track.

Great point and well said. I withdraw that and offer no substitute. A weak Zep opener? Not sure that elusive beast exists.

There isn’t a weak one in the bunch. Love them all. 

Top down strongest to the “weakest”. It’s pretty much a 5 way tie on the top.

Whole Lotta Love

Good Times Bad Times

Black Dog

TSRTS

Immigrant Song

Achilles Last Stand

In The Evening

Custard Pie

We’re Gonna Groove

As much as I love Black Dog and Rock and Roll, I consider them the oddball tracks on 4. They don't seem to fit in with the theme of the rest of the album. Not complaining but in my mind 4 starts with BOE and flows perfectly from there.

10 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I totally agree. Custard Pie is a perfect opener. Night Flight would've been great too , but not better. Custard Pie is an ass kicker! Inthink side 1 of PG is perfectly arranged .

Black Dog may be the most questionable choice but I wouldn't say it's weak. Rock and Roll would've been a better choice  to open LZ4. I agree also about Achilles not being the best opener...I think NFBM would've been a better choice. But,  none are weak....just maybe questionable. I dunno. 

Agreed.

R😎🎸👍

Hmm this is a bit tough when thinking about what song on the album would have made a better opener. The other 6 songs on ITTOD would have made very awkward openers, Wearing & Tearing would have been the only other option but In The Evening is a perfect opener with the extended moment before a classic Page riff.

I'll have to say For Your Love would been a better opener on Presence.

Archived