Japan 1972

EVSD is planning a huge release. A box containing all 6 shows from Japan 1972 as can be read on www.argenteumastrum.com:

"The Empress Valley Supreme Disc label just have announced their new forthcoming title, 12 disc set containing complete Japan 1972 tour.

Due the information given, this strictly limited deluxe box set features huge upgrades, previously unreleased sources and lowest generation source material ever released. As noted, all six shows are presented in the most complete versions and all are sourced from best sources possible to find. Each CD set is housed in special paper case within an exquisite box with obi and included a special bonus photo card in envelope. What's very impressing, this set will be available in two versions, each with different artwork: The Campaign style and The Overture style.

It looks like this is the ultimate collection of these shows sourced from improved sources. No info yet is given as it comes for its release date nor complete title but from above description it is something very promising and should bring the accurate attention".

19 minutes ago, lololabrute said:

But is this another EVSD trap or releasing the same again in one single box?

Not exactly, from what I have learnt personally. My Tokyo contact said that this time they did use many upgraded and best available sources to create most definitive and best sounding versions for each show. I do not know yet any further details but I do trust my contact and if he's saying  that they are upgrades, they do really.

I am dreamin' to hear a finally good sounding version for second Tokyo show as almost each title for this date is literally fucked up with heavy EQ or some serious tape issues. None of the titles I got is truly definitive and what's worse, the Lighthouse set, which is can be considered and complete, has dreadful source transitions and some of tapes used are suffering from some unnatural panning effect. I do remember the old Tara have released this show as the Campaign large set (and reissued this soon after as single set) and so far, this is the best title for this show, even if isn't completed with other tapes.

Same with second Osaka show. The horrible speed issues are present on every title available. If they got an access to a tape without them, I'd buy this set without any further hesitation.

Even if they are reissues, if done properly, this is still worth a lot IMO.

9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

This will piss Jimmy off supreme if the first proper "50th" release is How The East Was Won.

This 72 box set is only the  Overture, the big one will be most likely 929 or/and 928 in September. So, Jimmy would bomb EVSDs business by releasing HTEWW (Sept.71) officially, but I don`t think he will.

1 hour ago, zepster1979 said:

My Tokyo contact said that this time they did use many upgraded and best available sources to create most definitive and best sounding versions for each show. I do not know yet any further details but I do trust my contact and if he's saying  that they are upgrades, they do really.

Sounds good, and for six shows the price is moderate.

That’s exactly why I wanted to know the URL. I expected Tarantura’s “The Campaign”. One of the most sought after, extremely high-priced (over-priced?) boxes! Not too long ago (about 2 months) a copy was sold on buyee.jp for more than $ 750.-

And this is what brought my attention to this new EV set. If they've released such a great box, with all unique stuff in it and upgraded it in truly definitive way and supplied it with such a great artwork sourced from original Tara box, then I will pay my hard earned money to grab a copy. Of course, the 1971 Japan tour will knock out this release intermediately (as on 1972 tour the band had started sounding weak and tired) but hell, these are among the best live shows the band ever played! After that I cannot recognize a such period, where group sounded so great anymore IMO.

Edited by zepster1979

4 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

And this is what brought my attention to this new EV set. If they've released such a great box, with all unique stuff in it and upgraded it in truly definitive way and supplied it with such a great artwork sourced from original Tara box, then I will pay my hard earned money to grab a copy. Of course, the 1971 Japan tour will knock out this release intermediately (as on 1972 tour the band had started sounding weak and tired) but hell, these are among the best live shows the band ever played! After that I cannot recognize a such period, where group sounded so great anymore IMO.

How can you be sure they will release the 71 tour? I understand the singles and now this 72 tour announcement would seem to predict this, but has anyone heard from insiders that this would actually happen?

On 6/4/2018 at 3:55 AM, zepster1979 said:

I am not sure, I just said it would knock out 1972 tour as well.

Plants voice had really declined to quite a degree between the 71 and 72 japan tours and the band is just not as powerful or tight on the 72 japan tour. They really seemed to lose a step between the 72 u s tour and japan. But they are still fantastic shows with many great highlights . There are some cuts where plant sounds amazing after he gets warmed up.  It's cool to hear him actually hit all the studio high notes on the song remains the same and rain song  sibly from October 2 and 3rd feature some amazing plant vocals. Probably the last time he ever sang it so well. But it seemed the band was starting to really loose their consistency on that tour . A stellar release could be made from those shows by cherry picking the highlights. Very interested in what this boxset may bring.

21 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Plants voice had really declined to quite a degree between the 71 and 72 japan tours and the band is just not as powerful or tight on the 72 japan tour. They really seemed to lose a step between the 72 u s tour and japan. But they are still fantastic shows with many great highlights . There are some cuts where plant sounds amazing after he gets warmed up.  It's cool to hear him actually hit all the studio high notes on the song remains the same and rain song  sibly from October 2 and 3rd feature some amazing plant vocals. Probably the last time he ever sang it so well. But it seemed the band was starting to really loose their consistency on that tour . A stellar release could be made from those shows by cherry picking the highlights. Very interested in what this boxset may bring.

72 Japan just might be my least favorite tour they ever did.  Just seem to lack the hunger from earlier tours and the energy/nastiness of later tours.

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

72 Japan just might be my least favorite tour they ever did.  Just seem to lack the hunger from earlier tours and the energy/nastiness of later tours.

I always felt they sounded a bit  under rehearsed in that tour and the new numbers from houses sounded a bit stiff. I actually prefer the December 72 shows from an instrumental stand point and especially the 73 Europe and u.s tours.

I really Hope that Jimmy doesn't release these shows. The set-list for these shows are already on an official release. 

I hope that he has something from the 1977 tour, or 1980 tour over Europe.  If anything why not anything from 1969 American tour? 

Does anyone of the historians in this community have a clue about the what and whereabouts of these HOTH campaign posters? Genuine 19th century engravings? 

Do they depict illustrations from stories or news articles?

questions questions😱

campaign.jpg

ouverture.jpg

On 6/14/2018 at 11:53 PM, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

I did, "The Overture" also. 👍 "Tit For Tat" arriving next week...💪

Haha, I`ve noticed that you never seem to lose any time with your orders. I am not quite convinced yet. I guess you have older releases of the 72 Japan shows, so please let us know, if the new ones are the huge upgrades promised.

My copy arrived (I've chosen The Campaign version because of its strict association with legendary Tarantura set from 1995) two days ago and here are my impressions:

October 2nd: This is probably the only show that couldn't be significantly upgraded due to its great quality. However, I do feel that all source transitions are done in a really professional way, sometimes you cannot determine if the source is changing when you're listening through out the show. To me, the most cool thing are the encore breaks, where a different audience sources are used. It gives a nice and natural perspective of being inside the Budokan waiting for the next song LOL. One note: the basic source known from numerous past titles sounds a bit warmer here so I guess EV could use a true master and did not master it digitally (what's great as I always preferred analog vs digital but this is only my personal opinion).

October 3rd: A big surprise here! The basic tape used is the old Tarantura source, where you can feel the Hammer of the Gods by the great late John Henry Bonham. What's more interesting and worth attention, this tape has been treated by some fatal faked stereophonic channel separation in the past and with this new version, for the very first time we have true monaural and much cleaner copy of this great sounding tape. There are some cuts in this tape filled with couple of other sources and again, transitions are very smooth, not distracting the listener. I wish to hear a truly complete version of this show in stunning quality some day sourced from a single tape but as for now, this is the winner IMO.

October 4th: As basic source, EV used longer and bit distant but very clean sounding audience tape known from some past titles and completed it another very good sounding tape. (Both have been used on Dancing Geisha by T2K etc.). The start of the show is taken from another source, adding some audience cheer and tune ups. Overall, this is the only disappointment to me but saying that I am not gonna blame EV for such mix - they did an excellent job, using longer source to avoid numerous source transitions when it is possible.

October 5th: Another great version and upgrade. Two source mix, with longer and very good sounding tape as the root tape. Past titles have been EQ to me a bit too heavy and this version is free from that. Furthermore, both encores (taken from poorer sounding source) are clean and not tweaked to death as with every previous version of this show. This was one of the bigger surprises to me when I listened to this set yesterday.

October 9th: WOW! If you think you have enough of this show, get this version and you'll change your mind! The basic source tape used here is famous H-Bomb source but from the start it is obvious that they've used very clean and bright sounding master tape. What's very important, numerous speed issues that plagued all previous versions of this tape are completely not presented here! The start of tape suffers from some minor channel drop outs but there are no speed issues. The Whole Lotta Love has been known for its huge damage and speed problems after Everybody Needs Somebody tease, and for the very first time we can enjoy this song without feeling the Zeppelin have started performing chipmunks LOL EV completed this source with two more tapes, adding some intro before the show and filling few cuts here and there. The only drawback is fact there's no end of WLL anywhere here but from what I have heard, none of tapes circulating have this portion.

October 10th: Another upgrade. Again, as the basic source there's tape known from many past titles, and again, this new version is taken from much cleaner and brighter copy. Also, for the first time there's no short cut and repeat in middle of Dazed. Source transitions are great as everywhere else in this set. The recently released T2K 6cd set Evil Spirits in Kyoto is one of a hell mistake when compared with this one! They should have learned of how to treat recordings when compared with this new version.

---

OK There are some of us, who won't believe me and some of us who are just satisfied with what they have already. I have been a bit worried at the start, remembering many disappointments from few previous EV productions but this new 12CD box is worth of every penny. If I could rate this set from 1 to 10, I'd give this 8 - 9 out from 10. Even if there are multiple previous versions for each of shows included here, this is REAL definitive version of this tour and I doubt if we'll see something that can beat up this collection soon IMO.
If anyone have some further questions, just PM.

Edited by zepster1979