An assessment of Robert Plant performing on the Late Show 9/10/1993

0:25, Dave ad libs a joke about playing with the Stones at Altamont, which shows he knows a little about classic rock. That's Charlie Jones playing bass, who'd later play on the Page/Plant stuff. 6:00, Dave- "Do you hear anyone as good as Led Zeppelin?" Robert- "I hear a lot of people trying. There are some new bands around that are really good." For anyone/everyone who mentions Greta Van Fleet, take notice. This has been a reoccuring theme for over three decades. 6:10, Dave- "But you don't find it rewarding in any way though?" Robert- "Not as much as Jimmy Page does." The fans sound shocked as they mistake this as Robert sleighting Page personally, but Robert is merely making an underhanded remark that Jimmy makes more from Led Zeppelin than he does. I'd love to see some royalty figures that back this up. This might also explain why Plant is so reluctant to talk about the old days. He doesn't get paid as much for promoting the old days. 6:25, Dave- "It's not like the old days, is it?" Robert- "This must be leading into one of them." Robert realizes Dave's questions are leaning more towards his former band. An interesting comment after I've watched so many interviews lately with Robert promoting his latest album "Carry Fire", where he is noticeably reluctant to talk about Zep. He always tries to steer the conversation back to his current musical endeavor. So over twenty years ago, he was doing *the exact same thing*. 6:30, Robert- "It can be, and God willing, it will be." A very obvious hint that the "Unledded" project is already underway. The way he answers this is interesting; He either sounds thankful that he's getting to work with Page again and rework the old songs or sounds grateful that he's gonna get this "Reunion" over with because he's been pressured into it so much. Considering Plant's attitude, I'd assume the latter. 6:35, Dave- "So there's hope for the future?" Another very interesting question/remark because you'd really have to have been backstage for the pre-interview to know the context. At first I thought Dave made an extremely cringey remark that sounds like the only hopeful aspect for Plant is to revisit the old days {Plant's reaction backs this up also), then I realize he asks this because Plant has already hinted to him about the reunion that is being planned. Dave plays dumb by saying "I don't know what that means". Plant's reaction is the typical "Cat's outta the bag" lip bite.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

6:30, Robert- "It can be, and God willing, it will be." A very obvious hint that the "Unledded" project is already underway. The way he answers this is interesting; He either sounds thankful that he's getting to work with Page again and rework the old songs or sounds grateful that he's gonna get this "Reunion" over with because he's been pressured into it so much. Considering Plant's attitude, I'd assume the latter. 6:35, Dave- "So there's hope for the future?" Another very interesting question/remark because you'd really have to have been backstage for the pre-interview to know the context. At first I thought Dave made an extremely cringey remark that sounds like the only hopeful aspect for Plant is to revisit the old days {Plant's reaction backs this up also), then I realize he asks this because Plant has already hinted to him about the reunion that is being planned. Dave plays dumb by saying "I don't know what that means". Plant's reaction is the typical "Cat's outta the bag" lip bite.

I don't see it this way at all. This was recorded September 10, 1993 and I see it as Robert is affirming his new tour, about to begin, can be as stimulating as the old days. Additionally, I show that Jimmy attended Robert's show at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston on Nov 20th, more than two months later and expressed an interest in them working together again. (Robert told a Toronto radio station about it the next day). So it seems clear that aside from feeling each other out nothing was underway as early as September 1993. If memory serves correct, it was around this time (Sep 1993) MTV initially offered an Unplugged slot to Robert, who then ultimately contacted Jimmy. Even when they agreed to move forward together, it was on a tentative basis. Had their Unledded telecast project not gone well I doubt we'd have seen them on tour together.    

What do you think of Dave's remark "So there's Hope for the future"? If that wasn't a hint about Plant reuniting with Page then it was a very cringey thing to say considering Plant was already promoting his own music. Plus that look from Robert just afterwards. Very weird exchange to me.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What do you think of Dave's remark "So there's Hope for the future"? If that wasn't a hint about Plant reuniting with Page then it was a very cringey thing to say considering Plant was already promoting his own music. Plus that look from Robert just afterwards. Very weird exchange to me.

Dave's alluding to Robert going back out on tour...the next mud shark is just around the corner...that sort of thing.

I've watched this interview a few times over the years and never drawn the conclusion that Letterman was in the know and alluding to the Page reunion.

I think it was just banter about Plant going back out on tour and he was a bit wary of discussing old Zep road tales. 

5 hours ago, bluecongo said:

29 Palms is a shit song

pop crap 

I must admit, I always really liked this song.

I thought it was a superior "pop" song and had atmospheric verses, with a great Morricone guitar riff, and a melodic chorus.

It was pop, but with the usual Plant injection of musical styles.

Maybe a bit of nostalgia for me as well, as 29 Palms was Plant's last real hit in the UK and I think his last appearance on Top of the Pops - a hugely popular weekly show that featured the top 40 and performances by artists. He sang live with a backing track I think.

It was also the summer when the song was released, so have memories of driving around in the sultry UK summer (ha ha) with the windows down listening to it.

Read that the song was related to his relationship with Alannah Myles (They had toured California together). But don't know if that's BS or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 7:27 PM, dandak said:

After plants first solo album which I like, I consider the rest to be mostly junk, but admittedly do like 29 Palms.

Fate of Nations shits all over the early Plant solo records.

I really like the first two Plant solo records and have just started to listen to them regularly again. Given the landscape of music in 1982 (Pictures at Eleven) and 1983 (Principle of Moments) I think they are both pretty solid. Between 1982 and 1983 we had stuff like Duran Duran, Michael Jackson, Go Go's, but we also had REM, The Police, David Bowie and New Order. I'd put the Plant records on par with the releases in the latter (for me anyway)....  

Archived