The raw power of the 1973 kezar stadium show.

I am sorry if this conversation has been written before. In saying that I shall begin. 

Not being the biggest fan of Live unofficial recordings (bootlegs) I had to try open my prospective on the issue. I know that the sound is not alway the best so I learned to listen to the performance, and in doing so I discovered that their is some hidden gems in these sometimes horrible recordings.  One show that comes into mind is Kezar stadium show in 1973. Bonzo is a mad man on celebration day, and Page is the wizard I've only heard legends about. Than they explode into a mean version of Black Dog. Plant doing his best to hit those incredibly hard notes that would rip my lungs in two if I tried that scream at the end of B.D. The power Zeppelin had during their live shows has not been matched today by any band. I am very happy that Zeppelin collectors are sharing the magic of live LED ZEPPELIN. 

My Zepptology continues.

35 minutes ago, strombringer101 said:

I am sorry if this conversation has been written before. In saying that I shall begin. 

Not being the biggest fan of Live unofficial recordings (bootlegs) I had to try open my prospective on the issue. I know that the sound is not alway the best so I learned to listen to the performance, and in doing so I discovered that their is some hidden gems in these sometimes horrible recordings.  One show that comes into mind is Kezar stadium show in 1973. Bonzo is a mad man on celebration day, and Page is the wizard I've only heard legends about. Than they explode into a mean version of Black Dog. Plant doing his best to hit those incredibly hard notes that would rip my lungs in two if I tried that scream at the end of B.D. The power Zeppelin had during their live shows has not been matched today by any band. I am very happy that Zeppelin collectors are sharing the magic of live LED ZEPPELIN. 

My Zepptology continues.

someone please tell me where this show is from ? 

Holy COW ZEPPELIN KILLED IT!!!

Sorry, have to disagree. I'm a huge '73 aficionado (esp. July), but I've always found this show (and the '73 Cali shows in general) to be overrated.  It's definitely not as good as the Forum show the next night.  Which is not to say those aren't great shows (it's '73 after all), just that they're not as legendary as they're made out to be.  Still, Kezar does finish strong, amazing STH, great HB and encores.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 10:37 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Sorry, have to disagree. I'm a huge '73 aficionado (esp. July), but I've always found this show (and the '73 Cali shows in general) to be overrated.  It's definitely not as good as the Forum show the next night.  Which is not to say those aren't great shows (it's '73 after all), just that they're not as legendary as they're made out to be.  Still, Kezar does finish strong, amazing STH, great HB and encores.  

I mostly agree with you're assessment .  Kezar is a great show but I have always found page quite sticky at this show and I have never found that plant sang near as well  as many claim. But I do find the second half of the show is top shelf especially heartbreaker plant sounds really strong on that one. I also could never really see the big attraction with bonzos birthday either. Again it's a great show  bit I don't find it legendary . Plant does not sound so hot and jimmy injured finger is hampering his playing . His solos are less expressive and adventurous .  I have always preferred the southern u.s shows from May 73 like mobile Houston and fort worth  but I will say I think the june 3rd forum show is amazing and deserves it's reputation and plants voice and pages playing  are far better then they were at kezar  and bonzos birthday .

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I like the person hanging from the stage in the "bird-petting" picture.  And I think others have said before:  what's the point of dry ice at an outdoors concert in the afternoon?

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I like the person hanging from the stage in the "bird-petting" picture.  And I think others have said before:  what's the point of dry ice at an outdoors concert in the afternoon?

Yeah, that was pretty funny IMO

Archived