Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
lalunexviii

What are some of the best unofficial Led Zeppelin Biographies?

On 6/12/2018 at 5:14 AM, IpMan said:

Barney Hoskyn's The Oral History is a great read comprised of tons of interviews from dozens of people closest to the band. However beware, these people do not pull any punches especially where Bonham & Grant are concerned.

I thought Page came out of "Trampled..." far worse than Bonzo or Grant (Oakland excepted). Specifically the stuff on the '77 tour.

On 6/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, NealR2000 said:

It all comes down to your personal preferences as to what particularly interests you with Led Zeppelin.  All of the books, and even the salacious Stairway to Heaven and Hammer of the Gods, are good.  However, if you want to focus on the ugly side of the band and the tales from the road, then those two aforementioned books are your best bet.  I don't think for one minute that they are dishonest.  Yes, there are some relatively minor inaccuracies, but they paint a fairly accurate picture of the Zeppelin on tour life that would have been Richard Cole's experience.  It's all hotel rooms and backstage.  Now if you want to get a different perspective, focusing a lot more on the music and creative process, then you are better off reading something like Dave Lewis' accounts.  

This is excellent advice. Thank you! 

I have read them all and all have some good, some bad parts but for my money, Trampled Underfoot by Barney Hoskyns is the best for first-hand anecdotes from people who were actually there and experienced the band. There is no opinion from the author, just a well-assembled series of thoughts from people around the band in a chronological order. There is plenty of new information in there and I think it's the best book I've read about Zep.

12 hours ago, John M said:

Has anyone read "Led Zeppelin Day by Day" by Marc Roberty?  It looks interesting but I did not get it yet. 

Yes - I have it and I recommended it last page.

It's great! It traces the history of the band like it says day-by-day, i.e., if there was band activity on any given day, whether in the studio or live, it spells out in detail what they did that day. It includes setlists, little tidbits about what recording studios they used on what days for each album and what was recorded during each session. (I even learned how the "forward echo" at the end of WLL happened - finding out that blew my mind!) It even has small interviews with the people that worked with the band at the time.

I like it a lot. :)