Nitpicking Page 1973

gibsonfan159

On 6/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, Daeron said:

I don't know why but that mellotron solo reminded me of the Beatles. Any idea why Jones starting playing mellotron solos instead of organ solos? 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

Well, he hardly ever soloed with the mellotron--aren't this, 6/3/73 LA & 7/29/73 NY the only times "Thank You" was played after his switch to the mellotron from the Hammond, thus the only times he had a mellotron solo?

The mellotron was not used on the 6.3 and 7.29 "Thank You"s in 1973. John Paul Jones used the organ as usual.

Since no one has bothered to ask Jones why he used the mellotron for the solo and "Thank You" at Southampton (and I think one or two other shows in late-72 or early-73?), it is up to speculation.

Either there was a problem with the Hammond B3 and he had to switch to the mellotron or Jones just did it on a whim to check out his new toy.

11 minutes ago, Strider said:

The mellotron was not used on the 6.3 and 7.29 "Thank You"s in 1973. John Paul Jones used the organ as usual.

Since no one has bothered to ask Jones why he used the mellotron for the solo and "Thank You" at Southampton (and I think one or two other shows in late-72 or early-73?), it is up to speculation.

Either there was a problem with the Hammond B3 and he had to switch to the mellotron or Jones just did it on a whim to check out his new toy.

Yes, that was my mistake.  I assumed he used the mellotron for those two without listening to confirm -- I figured he didn't bring the Hammond B3 for North America '73 since it wasn't used on anything in the usual setlist (right?).  But I suppose he always had it set up just in case?  He obviously had it with him in San Diego in '77...

I just started reading this thread yesterday. I'm kind of disappointed gibsonfan isn't doing the year in chronological order. I think it helps to hear how certain songs and certain jams develop over time instead of flip-flopping back-and-forth in time.

As for the concerts you have assessed so far, I am in agreement with most of your judgements. Oh, by the way, "this sucks" was most definitely in use back then...and even earlier than 1973. I think I first remember hearing it in person around 1970-71.

There is one nitpick I have always had about the 1973 tour that I am surprised you haven't mentioned yet, gibsonfan.

When Jimmy plays the "Misty Mountain Hop" solo on the UK/Euro leg of the tour he plays the last note of the final two bars similar to the studio recording...letting the note sustain with a finger vibrato or a bend. Jimmy also ended the solo this way at the 1979 Copenhagen and Knebworth shows. I love it.

But then for the 1973 U.S. tour instead of the vibrato, Jimmy instead does this weird staccato note/fake echo effect, which I never liked.

Just curious why you don't note this and what your thoughts are and which style MMH solo you prefer...the Euro style or the U.S. style?

4 hours ago, Strider said:

I just started reading this thread yesterday. I'm kind of disappointed gibsonfan isn't doing the year in chronological order. I think it helps to hear how certain songs and certain jams develop over time instead of flip-flopping back-and-forth in time.

As for the concerts you have assessed so far, I am in agreement with most of your judgements. Oh, by the way, "this sucks" was most definitely in use back then...and even earlier than 1973. I think I first remember hearing it in person around 1970-71.

There is one nitpick I have always had about the 1973 tour that I am surprised you haven't mentioned yet, gibsonfan.

When Jimmy plays the "Misty Mountain Hop" solo on the UK/Euro leg of the tour he plays the last note of the final two bars similar to the studio recording...letting the note sustain with a finger vibrato or a bend. Jimmy also ended the solo this way at the 1979 Copenhagen and Knebworth shows. I love it.

But then for the 1973 U.S. tour instead of the vibrato, Jimmy instead does this weird staccato note/fake echo effect, which I never liked.

Just curious why you don't note this and what your thoughts are and which style MMH solo you prefer...the Euro style or the U.S. style?

Spot on about the MMH solos in UK/Europe vs US.  The 2nd night in Chicago is really the only night of the NA tour where he ad-libs anything (not in the solo, near the end of the song itself).

9 hours ago, Strider said:

True I never actually made note of this in the analysation. I think with all the jumping around I did I just never noticed he made that change specifically at the start of the US tour.

Which do I prefer personally? The delay effect does sound rather unnatural, but it fills the gap better than the trill phrase of the original, which he couldn't really recreate well live, and I think that's why he started doing it that way. The studio version had an overdub that connected the solo back to the verse. I think for the US tour he realized the gap sounded weird so instead he stomped a delay pedal to make the phrase play a bit longer.

• 2 months later...

Nitpicking Page 7/13/1973 Detroit (Listen To This MJ- Net Source)

image0-6.jpg.95bd4608c6293d0a8597bf611687acf7.jpgimage0-8.jpg.bbac7ba093e3c2eabdfc26dc13f33a3e.jpgUntitled.png.6c9d044d3835ec8a4b40c300ca23ac47.png

A slightly distant but otherwise very listenable audience recording. Bonham and Plant are up front in the audio and unfortunately Page is the lowest. 

Rock And Roll- A squeaky Plant on the start. 2:08, Bonzo launches the solo with a nice fill. Solo- textbook phrasing with a couple of emphasized bends at 2:28. A painful sounding scream at 3:32. Not a bad start. "B+".

Celebration Day- Robert is giving it a hundred percent but still sounds very tired. 2:29, some inspired vocals. First solo- good. Outro solo- Page starts off with some choppy phrasing. 3:12, finally gets a good flow going here. Not bad, but I've heard Page do much better on this outro. "B+".

Black Dog- Good start. 3:02, something sounds out of place here as Page seemingly drops from the riff for a couple seconds, but it's barely noticeable. Solo- some good phrasing and energy carries this one out. an "A" if overlooking some scratchy vocals.

OTHAFA- Intro is played well and in delicate fashion. Robert is starting to smooth out some now for some solid verses. Solo- Page starts with the usual phrasing in the lower register.  3:26, some nice speedy runs. 3:38, some unique sounding pick taps he often did in 73. 3:44, another blazing run. 4:37, Bonham pauses coming out of the solo for a bar as if he's unsure if he's on the correct beat. Plant is scratchy again on the returning verse. 5:26, scratchy or not, that sounded great. Page nails the outro to end this one. "B+".

MMH- Good start. 1:50, Bonzo tearing the walls down. 2:45, again. Solo- standard run through with Page's delay effect not really coming through at the end. 3:53, excellent vocal effort from Plant. Booming drum fills to the end. An "A" overall.

SIBLY- Intro is blinding fast (but not perfectly fluid). 1:15, a released bend with a trill, which always sounds impressive. Very nice phrasing from Jim to bring in the verses and Plant has smoothed out again. The mood is perfect on this one. Solo- Page is in hyper mode as he blasts out a series of fast runs. 5:18, slows down for just a bit before finishing with another blazing lick. 6:22, Percy pouring his heart and soul out. 7:08, barely audible in the background but Page is going ape with some trills. 7:38, maximum effort from Plant as he nails a 1970 level scream. A perfectly somber outro to an above par version, even for 73. "A++".

No Quarter- Solid intro. Jones' solo meanders in usual 73 fashion. Solo- Page is very low in the recording but gets off to a good start with some solid noodling. 7:04, a tape flip but not too much is missed as we come back to Page and Bonham playing off each other very dynamically. 8:16, Bonham gets a little impatient and throws in a sixteenth beat. Jones joins the fun before bringing it back to the verses. 11:32, Plant going for another scream before the song comes to an end. Overlooking the cut in the solo, I'll still go "A". 

TSRTS- Perfect energetic start with Jones cutting through well. Plant still sounding good as of now. 1:49, Bonham gets a little loose with this fill but makes it work. First solo- hard to make out but sounds like a fluid, speedy fingered Jim. Actually some of the most fluid phrasing I've heard for this solo. 2:53, Bonzo matches Jim's intensity with some ferocious beats. 3:52, monster of a drum fill.  Plant straining some on the return to the verses. Second solo- again, excellent playing form Jimmy and Jones is also having a field day on bass. Page and Bonham are absolutely killing it on this second half. Plant's squeaky vocals are such a shame considering this is stand out version by the other three. Still a must listen. "A+".

The Rain Song- Very relaxed tempo. Robert sounding good again. Rock section- 5:44, Plant holds on to this scream a little too long and has to rush the next lyric. Some nice wails and playing throughout. "A".

Dazed- Solid intro with Plant again putting in effort. First workout- 4:37, off to the races and excellent playing by all three. 5:11-5:23, 73 Jimmy run. 5:27, I think hear Strider in the background. San Francisco is exceptionally haunting. The bow section sounds like the soundtrack for making a deal with the devil. Second workout is pure energy. 21:23-21:52, some very fluid playing by Page. Bonham sounds a little hesitant on the Mars section. 27:38, unique riffing. 27:52, sounds like some confusion on the transition to the climax (or a tape flip). The outro features more excellent playing by Page with the wah pedal. A very intimidating version throughout. "A".

Stairway- 3:39, Robert feeling brave with this extended note. Solid verses. Solo- unfortunately the Rhodes piano crowds the recording and Page is barely audible. Plant sounding raspy on the climax but still singing with emotion. Considering I base the rating of this song very strongly on the solo, I'll have to give this an "N/A". Otherwise it sounds like a solid version.

Moby Dick- Plant introduces the "White whale". A very thunderous and entertaining version.

Heartbreaker- Bonzo plays an intro that sounds like cannons being fired. Decent verses but Plant is sounding hoarse again. 1:01, thunderous fill. Solo- no rockabilly section tonight as Page mimics the studio take with more intensity. 3:48, the fast part part is much less sloppy than usual. A nicely played Bouree leads to a blues rhythm, which dissolves quickly. Page plays some good runs as the solo goes into the final phase. 6:58, just a little sloppy here. Overall pretty good. "A".

WLL- Solid intro. Page's vocal accompaniment comes through well. The theremin section features a short, breakneck Crunge and a hint at Licking Stick. Solo- played flawlessly and the return sounds good. Boogie Chillen- takes a while to get going. Page gets some fluid lead licks in as the solo takes off. 10:38, sounds like Page almost goes into Let's Have A Party but Bonham goes back to the same beat and they carry on. 12:27, blowing the doors off the place. 13:23, Plant reaches way down inside and pulls out a primal scream for the return and solid ending. "B+". (15:34, Plant botches Bonham's name when crediting the band.)

Dancing Days- Good start. 2:28, Plant putting in good effort. Nothing out of place on this solid version. "A+".

Final Assessment- The first few numbers aren't bad but I don't think the band gets fully locked in until SIBLY, then it's guns blazing from there on. Plant is struggling a bit in places but seems to drift in and out of hoarseness, sometimes going for air raid screams. The highlights are a powerful SIBLY and a TSRTS that blows the roof off the place. Thanks to Jon, Steve, Golden Retriever and the folks on DogsOfDoom for getting this one out. 

9 minutes ago, Strider said:

I'm curious, gibsonfan159. How many times do you listen to a show before giving it the nitpicking treatment? 

Depends. I've listened to some shows (L.A. 77 i.e.) several times before, but when I listened to do a nitpick I found things I never noticed before. I usually replay songs two or three times in a row if I think I might've missed something, or replay certain sections (like solos) multiple times. This was my first full listen for the 7/13 show. But like I said, I replayed certain songs or bits several times. 

• 1 month later...

Nitpicking page 7/21/1973 Providence, RI (DADGAD remaster)

1973-07-21---providence---unused-ticket-2_0.jpg.52968ca7bdd3463aa3eca0907191588b.jpg

A very listenable remastered audience recording featuring an excellent Plant and blazing Page.

Rock And Roll- The usual energetic start. Plant doesn't sound too bad for 73, just a little scratchy. Solo- good start, but at 2:30 JPJ jumps the gun and gets ahead of the beat by a measure while Page tries to tailor the solo to match. It's a near disaster but they get back on track for the returning verses. 3:45, Plant hits a decent air-raid. "B" considering the timing flub.

Celebration Day- Blazing start. 1:35, an off note by Jones. First solo- good. Outro solo- Solid. "B+".

Black Dog- Excellent first half. Plant gets an air-raid in for the pre-solo scream. Solo- a perfect combo of technical ability and passion as Page kills this outro. "A+".

OTHAFA- Solid intro and the verses kick off with tremendous energy. Solo- phrasing is mind blowing as Page rips through some blazing riffs. 3:19-3:28, the type of blazing trills and runs Page nailed effortlessly in 73. 3:39, again. I know I've said it before, but this level of playing really wasn't achieved after 73. 5:03, Page jumps into the ending rhythm a verse early, putting a big dent in a seriously knockout version. "B+" considering the shortened version. (Plant scolds the crowd for being too rowdy, maybe why Page ended the last part early.)

MMH- A little murky but the verses sound good. Solo- solid. Bonzo wasn't as lively on this one as usual but it's still rock solid. "A".

SIBLY- I don't say this lightly- probably the most blazing intro for this song I've ever heard. Good verses. 3:37, 1970 Plant comes alive. Solo- a speedy lick to start. Bonham gets a little impatient at 4:19 but there's an excellent barrage of flawless phrasing and dexterity throughout from Page. 7:26, that's air-raid number 3 from Plant. A very powerful version. Gotta go "A+", even for 73.

No Quarter- Perfect start. Jones gets a moody solo in before Jim joins in for a pre-solo jam. Solo- 6:45, Page doesn't quite end this intro phrase correctly. 6:58- 7:13, fingers ablazing. 7:22- more fluid playing. 8:20, Jones and Bonham switch up the rhythm to accent Page nicely. 9:05- 9:15, listen to the control on the bends and vibrato here. Absolutely haunting. 9:23, Page hits some sweet notes through here. 9:45, Page gets a little ahead of Jones and Bonham as he frantically switches his phrasing around, playing on another level. 10:14, using the wah effectively. Brings the solo back down very eloquently considering the rampage he just went on. A solid ending for a stand out version. "A+". 

TSRTS (cuts in)- Outro solo- Page is very lively, almost too frantic. No rating.

The Rain Song- Page's tone is very dry and doesn't come across well on this recording. The tempo also feels a little fast. 4:54, tape cut. Rock section- powerful. Good outro but this was a slightly rushed, offbeat version. "B+".

Dazed- Solid start with a good, menacing mood. First workout- the usual phrases as Page nails some fluid leads. San Francisco- comes in quickly but played nicely. 9:02, sounds a little off. Bow section- haunting and engaging despite the audience chatter. Second workout- 19:13, phrases played in a major scale sounding out of place. Surprisingly nothing too impressive from Jim through here, just the average lead work. 21:42, nice set of runs. 22:20, tape cut that jumps straight into the climax section. 24:43, Page goes insane with some blazing trills. This outro is really what the second workout should've been as Page leaves the earth with some nasty lead phrasing. A "B+" considering Page didn't go all out with how well he's playing tonight and the workout sections being a bit of a letdown.

Stairway- The one this crowd has been waiting for. Solid first half. 5:09, nice vocal work. 5:53, unique vocal phrase. Solo- fluid on the start. 7:05, speedy lick. 7:24, couple of off notes. 8:07-8:37, magnificent playing. 8:55, extra staccato on these notes. Plant nails the climax for a standout version. A must listen. "A+".

Moby Dick- a short and sweet 73 version. 

Heartbreaker- Bonham's teasing intro brings in a crunchy, energetic set of verses. Solo- 3:46, unique phrase. Nothing sloppy about this version as Page shows why 73 was his peak year. An absolute monster of a solo. "A".

WLL- Strong start with a multitude of energy. Page's palm muted riffing on the funk section is next level. 2:40, some unique riffs. The theremin section is sounding good but a tape skip takes us to the end of Boogie Chillen. A true shame. "B+" even with all the cuts. 

The Ocean- high energy version, solid throughout. "A+".

Final Assessment- Could've easily been the show of the year had the crowd not caused trouble and if Page had let loose more on Dazed. Possibly Plant's best show in 73 and Page was killing throughout. But, true to Zep fashion, we can't have our cake and eat it too. Highlights are Black Dog, Sibly, No Quarter, Stairway, and The Ocean- all of which feature a blazing Page and solid Plant. I'd go on a limb and say the complete WLL was probably an "A++". 

Edited by gibsonfan159

Providence is still my favourite show even with the crowd trouble in OTHAFA and the tape cuts, nice to see it getting some love!  I don't think it's totally fair to judge Dazed with the size of the cut in the workout section -- it's quite possible that Page really let loose during the section that's missing.  For me, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given how well he plays the rest of the show.

• 3 months later...

Nitpicking Page 3/21/1973 Hamburg, Germany (Fan Remaster)

robert-plant-from-led-zeppelin-performs-live-on-stage-at-musikhalle-picture-id103341454.png.f494924dd94a38a0f6b9d75e5c000f4b.pngimage0.jpg.158907bed3bbae3abae69b350375c6b5.jpg

Noisy to slightly clear audience source with soundboards of Dazed, Stairway, and WLL spliced in. 

Rock And Roll- Plant sounds decent for early 73 although there are some croaks and squeaks all throughout. Solo- textbook phrasing akin to the studio version. 3:08, Plant attempting a painful sounding airraid. Strong finish. "A" despite the screechy vocals of this era, which have to be looked over somewhat.

OTHAFA- Solid intro from both Page and Plant. Plant opens the chorus with a very gentle approach, obviously knowing his vocal limits here. Solo- starting with some speedy noodling right off the bat. 3:15-3:24, amazing set of runs and articulation. No off notes, bad phrasing, or sloppiness, though it does sound like he jumps to the end phrase a bit early but it's hard to tell. Plant sounding good on the return. 5:18. very nice vocals from Rob. Considering how solid this was for a 1973 Plant combined with an excellent solo, I'll go "A+".

Black Dog- Strong start. 2:01, Plant stops for a second to get some crowd participation. Solid verses throughout. Plant gets a semi-decent pre solo airraid in. Solo- 4:33, Page makes that bend work for it's money. Not as blazing as other solos, but no real flaws. "A".

MMH- Bob opens with his story about getting arrested for weed and very casually sings the verses. Solo- good. 3:06, these drum fills. 4:09, something appears to happen that causes Bonzo to hesitate a little. Not bad, though Plant has some screechy moments. "B+".

SIBLY- Not the smoothest opening runs for 73 as he hangs up just a little. 0:56, some awkward phrasing just before wrapping up the intro. Plant's opening vocals sound very relaxed and the verses a little uninspired. Solo- strong, blazing runs to start, with solid articulation. 4:43, Page bends this note to the moon. 5:21, finishes up with a mock intro run. Very impressive solo. Robert returns with more sleepy vocals. 7:29, finally wakes up. If you take the solo out of this one you don't have a lot to brag about. So that's a "B" for 1973.

Dancing Days- Starts up awkwardly and the tempo is a little sluggish. Once the verses get going the groove is like a sledgehammer. Pretty standard run through, nothing to stand out. "B+".

BYAS- A lively tempo gets things going as the crowd claps along. The breakdown is straightforward and simplistic. Not bad. "B+".

TSRTS- Good start and Plant sounds good through the verses. First solo- fast and articulate, almost to the point that I think Bonzo and Jonesy have trouble keeping up (3:19). Plant straining on the second verses. Outro solo- blindingly fast and flawless to my ears. Plant squeaking badly on the outro. Though Page is on another level, the overall feel is a tad on the loose side and Plant brings it down some. "B+".

The Rain Song- Fantastic first half with the Mello filling the space just right. Rock section- hits very hard as Plant pours out emotion. Outro sounds perfect to my ears. "A+".

Dazed- The intro is pure Bonzo as he throws in a drum fill every bar. First workout- by the time they get to Cold Sweat they're locked into a furious jam. Unfortunately it ends quickly and San Fran comes in, which sounds exquisite. 7:00, Bonham building up energy. Second workout- Page is off to the races with the usual lightning fast runs. 15:46, nice interplay with Bonham. 17:54, Bonham challenging Page to a duel. Page continuing to play flawlessly. Mars- hits just right as Bonham flips the beat in every direction. The climax lands perfect as they bring it back around. 22:45, Bonham just having fun now. 24:03, Bonham and Jones changing up the outro rhythm as Page jams along in the background. Bonham's triplets on the ending absolutely leveling the building. Undoubtedly the most rhythmically dynamic version of the song. "A++".

Stairway- Very solid verses. Bonham enters with the continuing enthusiastic playing, knocking down some energetic fills. Solo- the usual opening runs. Very hard to decipher this as Bonham and Jones crowd the mix, but sounds like Page keeps a good flow going. 7:40, Bonham matching the syncopation perfectly. 7:55, Page squeezing the life out of this bend as the recording switches back to an audience source. 8:05, very intriguing phrase by Page. Final riffs are flawless. The climax has Plant sounding a little tired. A solid ending for a remarkable version. A better rating for a better Plant, but I'll still say "A".

WLL- 1:05, though Page is playing guitar the theremin can be heard in the background. The theremin section is good as they transition to Cold Sweat, with Page pushing the tempo. 4:12, Bonham somehow mimicking bongos. Everybody Needs Somebody- average start, but gets funky toward the end. The return solo is played perfectly. Boogie Chillen- excellent throughout, with solid leads from Page. Baby I Don't Care- everyone firing on all cylinders, especially Bonham who's accenting every riff and beat. Let's Have A Party- textbook run-through with the same enthusiasm, the ending featuring a series of ascending riffs from Page. I Can't Quit You- Plant pushing and straining a few notes. Not the usual technical prowess from Page here either as he plays a little erratically. 19:17, Bonham becoming restless and almost launching into a solo himself. 19:50, a very sloppily played phrase by Page. 20:27, another rhythm shift by Bonzo with Jones following. 22:37, Page finally ripping out a fluid run. More of an exercise in experimental riffing than an actual attempt at the song. The return has a feeble airraid from Plant and we wind this one down. Not the most technical display of medleys, but the dynamics and energy make it a fun listen. "B+" mostly due to the loosely played ICQY.

The Ocean- Returning to a very boomy audience source. Plant raspy throughout. Solo- not bad. A straight-forward version that doesn't seem to bring the crowd alive. "B+".

Final Assessment- "The Bonzo show" for the most part, though Page is playing exceptionally and Plant isn't half bad for the era. There's definitely some looseness that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, which accounts for the many "B+" ratings. The highlight is an uber-energetic Dazed, played flawlessly and dynamically all the way through. The lone letdown was an uninspired sounding SIBLY, but which of course features an excellent solo from Page. TRS and Stairway are both very solid versions. WLL was headed for great things but I think Bonzo's dynamics actually worked against it in the end, not allowing for everyone to get on the same groove. 

On 4/3/2021 at 11:41 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 3/21/1973 Hamburg, Germany (Fan Remaster)

robert-plant-from-led-zeppelin-performs-live-on-stage-at-musikhalle-picture-id103341454.png.f494924dd94a38a0f6b9d75e5c000f4b.pngimage0.jpg.158907bed3bbae3abae69b350375c6b5.jpg

Noisy to slightly clear audience source with soundboards of Dazed, Stairway, and WLL spliced in. 

Rock And Roll- Plant sounds decent for early 73 although there are some croaks and squeaks all throughout. Solo- textbook phrasing akin to the studio version. 3:08, Plant attempting a painful sounding airraid. Strong finish. "A" despite the screechy vocals of this era, which have to be looked over somewhat.

OTHAFA- Solid intro from both Page and Plant. Plant opens the chorus with a very gentle approach, obviously knowing his vocal limits here. Solo- starting with some speedy noodling right off the bat. 3:15-3:24, amazing set of runs and articulation. No off notes, bad phrasing, or sloppiness, though it does sound like he jumps to the end phrase a bit early but it's hard to tell. Plant sounding good on the return. 5:18. very nice vocals from Rob. Considering how solid this was for a 1973 Plant combined with an excellent solo, I'll go "A+".

Black Dog- Strong start. 2:01, Plant stops for a second to get some crowd participation. Solid verses throughout. Plant gets a semi-decent pre solo airraid in. Solo- 4:33, Page makes that bend work for it's money. Not as blazing as other solos, but no real flaws. "A".

MMH- Bob opens with his story about getting arrested for weed and very casually sings the verses. Solo- good. 3:06, these drum fills. 4:09, something appears to happen that causes Bonzo to hesitate a little. Not bad, though Plant has some screechy moments. "B+".

SIBLY- Not the smoothest opening runs for 73 as he hangs up just a little. 0:56, some awkward phrasing just before wrapping up the intro. Plant's opening vocals sound very relaxed and the verses a little uninspired. Solo- strong, blazing runs to start, with solid articulation. 4:43, Page bends this note to the moon. 5:21, finishes up with a mock intro run. Very impressive solo. Robert returns with more sleepy vocals. 7:29, finally wakes up. If you take the solo out of this one you don't have a lot to brag about. So that's a "B" for 1973.

Dancing Days- Starts up awkwardly and the tempo is a little sluggish. Once the verses get going the groove is like a sledgehammer. Pretty standard run through, nothing to stand out. "B+".

BYAS- A lively tempo gets things going as the crowd claps along. The breakdown is straightforward and simplistic. Not bad. "B+".

TSRTS- Good start and Plant sounds good through the verses. First solo- fast and articulate, almost to the point that I think Bonzo and Jonesy have trouble keeping up (3:19). Plant straining on the second verses. Outro solo- blindingly fast and flawless to my ears. Plant squeaking badly on the outro. Though Page is on another level, the overall feel is a tad on the loose side and Plant brings it down some. "B+".

The Rain Song- Fantastic first half with the Mello filling the space just right. Rock section- hits very hard as Plant pours out emotion. Outro sounds perfect to my ears. "A+".

Dazed- The intro is pure Bonzo as he throws in a drum fill every bar. First workout- by the time they get to Cold Sweat they're locked into a furious jam. Unfortunately it ends quickly and San Fran comes in, which sounds exquisite. 7:00, Bonham building up energy. Second workout- Page is off to the races with the usual lightning fast runs. 15:46, nice interplay with Bonham. 17:54, Bonham challenging Page to a duel. Page continuing to play flawlessly. Mars- hits just right as Bonham flips the beat in every direction. The climax lands perfect as they bring it back around. 22:45, Bonham just having fun now. 24:03, Bonham and Jones changing up the outro rhythm as Page jams along in the background. Bonham's triplets on the ending absolutely leveling the building. Undoubtedly the most rhythmically dynamic version of the song. "A++".

Stairway- Very solid verses. Bonham enters with the continuing enthusiastic playing, knocking down some energetic fills. Solo- the usual opening runs. Very hard to decipher this as Bonham and Jones crowd the mix, but sounds like Page keeps a good flow going. 7:40, Bonham matching the syncopation perfectly. 7:55, Page squeezing the life out of this bend as the recording switches back to an audience source. 8:05, very intriguing phrase by Page. Final riffs are flawless. The climax has Plant sounding a little tired. A solid ending for a remarkable version. A better rating for a better Plant, but I'll still say "A".

WLL- 1:05, though Page is playing guitar the theremin can be heard in the background. The theremin section is good as they transition to Cold Sweat, with Page pushing the tempo. 4:12, Bonham somehow mimicking bongos. Everybody Needs Somebody- average start, but gets funky toward the end. The return solo is played perfectly. Boogie Chillen- excellent throughout, with solid leads from Page. Baby I Don't Care- everyone firing on all cylinders, especially Bonham who's accenting every riff and beat. Let's Have A Party- textbook run-through with the same enthusiasm, the ending featuring a series of ascending riffs from Page. I Can't Quit You- Plant pushing and straining a few notes. Not the usual technical prowess from Page here either as he plays a little erratically. 19:17, Bonham becoming restless and almost launching into a solo himself. 19:50, a very sloppily played phrase by Page. 20:27, another rhythm shift by Bonzo with Jones following. 22:37, Page finally ripping out a fluid run. More of an exercise in experimental riffing than an actual attempt at the song. The return has a feeble airraid from Plant and we wind this one down. Not the most technical display of medleys, but the dynamics and energy make it a fun listen. "B+" mostly due to the loosely played ICQY.

The Ocean- Returning to a very boomy audience source. Plant raspy throughout. Solo- not bad. A straight-forward version that doesn't seem to bring the crowd alive. "B+".

Final Assessment- "The Bonzo show" for the most part, though Page is playing exceptionally and Plant isn't half bad for the era. There's definitely some looseness that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, which accounts for the many "B+" ratings. The highlight is an uber-energetic Dazed, played flawlessly and dynamically all the way through. The lone letdown was an uninspired sounding SIBLY, but which of course features an excellent solo from Page. TRS and Stairway are both very solid versions. WLL was headed for great things but I think Bonzo's dynamics actually worked against it in the end, not allowing for everyone to get on the same groove. 

Hamburg 1973 is one of my faves from that UK/Euro 1973 tour….along with Stoke, Vienna, and Offenburg. So, I would assume you have this ranked higher than 1.22.73 Southampton, at least, if not 3.24.73 Offenburg level?

I can never understand people who rank Southampton 1973 as one of their top shows.

15 hours ago, Strider said:

Hamburg 1973 is one of my faves from that UK/Euro 1973 tour….along with Stoke, Vienna, and Offenburg. So, I would assume you have this ranked higher than 1.22.73 Southampton, at least, if not 3.24.73 Offenburg level?

I can never understand people who rank Southampton 1973 as one of their top shows.

I've never seen anyone rank 1/22 as a top show but I don't think it's as bad as people say. I once called it the best Zep boot but for different reasons than performance level. Plant is the major drawback from Southampton and the encores were pretty bland and uneven, but I'd definitely put about any Euro show over 1/22 for overall playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nitpicking Page 7/20/1973 Boston, Mass. (Maloney Source)

1254925087_download(3).jpg.4c1854c2ea62ac56da6193e7ed46972e.jpg1351447113_download(2).jpg.fa23b87e3ef6588ed910ffbebff08112.jpg1442752591_download(4).jpg.337a56d2f4ca905bb8399c66085ed7a6.jpg

I received some requests to do this one as there might be some hidden gems. Plant is pretty rough here even for 73 but I'll overlook that as much as possible for the ratings. This is a slightly murky and boomy audience source, but still quite listenable. Also a shortened setlist because of an unruly Boston crowd. 

Rock And Roll- Plant sounding incredibly rough. Solo- textbook precision until 2:25 where Page plays the last phrase a little early. Nothing too noticeable however. A tough call with these vocals, but let's be nice and say "B+".

Celebration Day- Good energy, Plant not quite warmed up yet. Still borderline hypothermia actually, but he's putting in good effort. Solo- good. Outro solo- solid noodling from Page. "A-". 

Black Dog- BIOH intro followed by some good verses, Plant still raspy. 1:46. tack on another vocal nodule for that effort. Solo- lots of energy on this outro as Page gets some good phrases in. Not the most impressive but solid enough. "A".

OTHAFA- Fairly solid intro. Plant really yielding to his limits on the chorus. Solo- good noodling to start. 3:15, extremely fast and articulate run. 3:26-3:38, bending the strings to the sky. Plant endures the final verses and Page gets a good ending down. Instrumentally good, but the vocals have an impact here. "A-". (Plant scolds the crowd and SIBLY is skipped)

No Quarter- Rob's voice sounding smoother for this. Verses sound good. Solo- Jones' lead in is ethereal and haunting. Page's getting the usual flow going for this. 7:08, some lightning runs. 7:26, Bonham switching up the groove. 8:00, and again. Good playing and decent phrasing, nothing over the top. The final verses go out flawlessly. Very solid version. "A".

TSRTS- Good start and verses. First solo- a little hard to make out but sounds good. Plant cracks a little on "Honolulu". Outro solo- lightning fingers playing perfectly. 4:48, Bonzo picks up the tempo a little, matching Page's intensity. Overall a good sounding version with a forgivable 73 Plant. "A".

The Rain Song- Verses are good. Rock section- decent but vocals are very rough. Ending played nicely. Not too bad. "A-".

Dazed- Explosive energy on the start with Plant managing well. First workout- Page shreds nicely but doesn't extend too much, probably due to the crowd. San Fran sounds good, also ironic when the crowd is ripping each other apart. 7:00, the phrasing between Jones and Page doesn't mesh here as the notes sound a little off. Bow section lasts six minutes. Second workout- unfortunately the guitar becomes almost inaudible here. 18:45, clears up some as Page gets some good licks in. Flawless playing and phrasing throughout with a breakneck tempo. Mars- sounds good. 24:20-24:40, Page getting experimental with this phrase before nailing down the climax. Last verses are good and Page gets some raunchy wah licks in for the finale. A very strong version and I think the rowdy crowd adds to the energy. "A+".

Stairway- The bickering audience detracts from the listening experience a bit. Plant sounding very good now. Verses all sound good. Solo- very good phrasing to start with Page spacing the riffs just right, not overdoing it. 8:10, awesome run. 8:36, adding nice little accents to each note. Final phrases are as perfect as they can get. Top notch solo. Plant manages the climax without straining too much and the ending is solid. The solo really bumps this one up and it's one of the best I've heard. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Bonham with that stomping intro beat. 0:33, Plant sounds off key here. Verses a little loose. Solo- 3:39, sloppier than usual for 73. 4:40-4:58, Page comes alive on the fast part for some very fluid runs. Excellent second half to the solo but that's about the only saving grace. "B+".

WLL- Good kickoff and solid verses. The funk jam played well with the rhythm section following Page's every move. Theremin freak out sounding adequately trippy. Page strains slightly on the last two solo phrases. Boogie Chillen- Plant pushing his vocals. Solo- knocks it down quite well with excellent phrasing and fluidity. 12:13, massive cherry bomb. The return and ending sound excellent. I'd like to have heard more in the medley but this is what we got, thanks to an out of control audience. "A". (The crowd unleashes the rest of their fireworks as the band flee).

Final Assessment- A very good showing despite a suffering Plant and misbehaving audience. The highlights are a very solid Dazed, a standout STH solo, and short but sweet WLL. This would be the last time Zep played in Boston as they were banned from returning in 1975 due to rioting crowds. Nothing like loving a band so much that you ensure that you'll never get to see them again.  

Edited by gibsonfan159

I've always loved the Boston show, despite the somewhat poor recording and crowd problems.  Shows how on top of their game they were in July '73.  And I've always thought the story around the cancelled '75 show was funny, even though it really wasn't very cool:

Led Zeppelin Riot, Banned in Boston (celebrateboston.com)

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nitpicking Page 7/20/1973 Boston, Mass. (Maloney Source)

1254925087_download(3).jpg.4c1854c2ea62ac56da6193e7ed46972e.jpg1351447113_download(2).jpg.fa23b87e3ef6588ed910ffbebff08112.jpg1442752591_download(4).jpg.337a56d2f4ca905bb8399c66085ed7a6.jpg

I received some requests to do this one as there might be some hidden gems. Plant is pretty rough here even for 73 but I'll overlook that as much as possible for the ratings. This is a slightly murky and boomy audience source, but still quite listenable. Also a shortened setlist because of an unruly Boston crowd. 

Rock And Roll- Plant sounding incredibly rough. Solo- textbook precision until 2:25 where Page plays the last phrase a little early. Nothing too noticeable however. A tough call with these vocals, but let's be nice and say "B+".

Celebration Day- Good energy, Plant not quite warmed up yet. Still borderline hypothermia actually, but he's putting in good effort. Solo- good. Outro solo- solid noodling from Page. "A-". 

Black Dog- BIOH intro followed by some good verses, Plant still raspy. 1:46. tack on another vocal nodule for that effort. Solo- lots of energy on this outro as Page gets some good phrases in. Not the most impressive but solid enough. "A".

OTHAFA- Fairly solid intro. Plant really yielding to his limits on the chorus. Solo- good noodling to start. 3:15, extremely fast and articulate run. 3:26-3:38, bending the strings to the sky. Plant endures the final verses and Page gets a good ending down. Instrumentally good, but the vocals have an impact here. "A-". (Plant scolds the crowd and SIBLY is skipped)

No Quarter- Rob's voice sounding smoother for this. Verses sound good. Solo- Jones' lead in is ethereal and haunting. Page's getting the usual flow going for this. 7:08, some lightning runs. 7:26, Bonham switching up the groove. 8:00, and again. Good playing and decent phrasing, nothing over the top. The final verses go out flawlessly. Very solid version. "A".

TSRTS- Good start and verses. First solo- a little hard to make out but sounds good. Plant cracks a little on "Honolulu". Outro solo- lightning fingers playing perfectly. 4:48, Bonzo picks up the tempo a little, matching Page's intensity. Overall a good sounding version with a forgivable 73 Plant. "A".

The Rain Song- Verses are good. Rock section- decent but vocals are very rough. Ending played nicely. Not too bad. "A-".

Dazed- Explosive energy on the start with Plant managing well. First workout- Page shreds nicely but doesn't extend too much, probably due to the crowd. San Fran sounds good, also ironic when the crowd is ripping each other apart. 7:00, the phrasing between Jones and Page doesn't mesh here as the notes sound a little off. Bow section lasts six minutes. Second workout- unfortunately the guitar becomes almost inaudible here. 18:45, clears up some as Page gets some good licks in. Flawless playing and phrasing throughout with a breakneck tempo. Mars- sounds good. 24:20-24:40, Page getting experimental with this phrase before nailing down the climax. Last verses are good and Page gets some raunchy wah licks in for the finale. A very strong version and I think the rowdy crowd adds to the energy. "A+".

Stairway- The bickering audience detracts from the listening experience a bit. Plant sounding very good now. Verses all sound good. Solo- very good phrasing to start with Page spacing the riffs just right, not overdoing it. 8:10, awesome run. 8:36, adding nice little accents to each note. Final phrases are as perfect as they can get. Top notch solo. Plant manages the climax without straining too much and the ending is solid. The solo really bumps this one up and it's one of the best I've heard. "A++".

Heartbreaker- Bonham with that stomping intro beat. 0:33, Plant sounds off key here. Verses a little loose. Solo- 3:39, sloppier than usual for 73. 4:40-4:58, Page comes alive on the fast part for some very fluid runs. Excellent second half to the solo but that's about the only saving grace. "B+".

WLL- Good kickoff and solid verses. The funk jam played well with the rhythm section following Page's every move. Theremin freak out sounding adequately trippy. Page strains slightly on the last two solo phrases. Boogie Chillen- Plant pushing his vocals. Solo- knocks it down quite well with excellent phrasing and fluidity. 12:13, massive cherry bomb. The return and ending sound excellent. I'd like to have heard more in the medley but this is what we got, thanks to an out of control audience. "A". (The crowd unleashes the rest of their fireworks as the band flee).

Final Assessment- A very good showing despite a suffering Plant and misbehaving audience. The highlights are a very solid Dazed, a standout STH solo, and short but sweet WLL. This would be the last time Zep played in Boston as they were banned from returning in 1975 due to rioting crowds. Nothing like loving a band so much that you ensure that you'll never get to see them again.  

F-ing Southies, those hooligans ruin everything.

• 10 months later...

Nitpicking Page 3/6/1973 Stockholm, Sweden (Two Hundred And Forty Pounds- EVSD)

HR_Led_73_2.png.5e3b6a7e913869cbd5cb34f883104ebf.pngFB_IMG_1595172013073.jpg.028ecf4abcdcd26e3150558f738e929b.jpg1973-03-06-stockholm_0ha19.jpg.bfc41f1ead560cabcabb9b0677814460.jpg1973-03-06-stockholm_0ha14.jpg.a8ee53174102a14405940bd81d6f1bec.jpg1973-03-06-stockholm_0ha14.jpg.a8ee53174102a14405940bd81d6f1bec.jpg-_57TJXFZ-hS1UWJIxMolVVdey5-N2aLovzIHk8AtO7pM9zYpoXWlF-VyIImOSp5B2u9WzZlg8XiMJfG4EEqTSre27uFKNx83jSR.png.63c6afe4e2e77ca4d489af6b807cbe46.png

Rock And Roll- Plant sounds a bit hoarse, but not the worst I've heard. Decent verses with good energy. Solo- Page cuts loose wildly on the beginning. 2:13, a tad loose on the latter half but nothing major, with a strong finish. The returning verses are good as they bring it to a close. "A-".

OTHAFA- 0:23, loose on the intro phrasing. Rob sounding much better now. First verses are decent but Robert holds back a lot. Solo- the usual start with some lower octave noodling, building his way up nicely. 3:37-3:45, 73 Jim in full swing. 4:32, hard to make out the articulation of these phrases but sounds loose. The coda has a scratchy Plant and the outro sounds good. Good tempo and energy and a blazing solo, though it's not perfect and Plant is reserved. "B+".

Black Dog- Very energetic with Bonzo's drums echoing through the venue. 1:43, Rob attempts a high note but ends with a squeak. Verses are fairly solid. 3:34, and again. Solo- not a lot of shredding as Jimmy mostly sticks to lots of bends with some hesitant phrases. Good soloing overall. Not bad. "A-".

MMH- Plant's hoarseness is really affecting the impact of this one although the energy is tremendous. 2:30, Jones hitting some strange notes on the piano. Page's short solo is well done and the last verses are good. "B".

SIBLY- The lead-in is slightly sticky but good. 0:30-0:40, Page dials it back a bit. Plant is a bit underwhelming on the opening vocals. Solo- 4:42, nice emotion on these bends. Sounds like a decent solo underneath the noisy audio. Plant's effort on the last half is still reserved but the song is carried by an energetic Jimmy and Bonzo. 7:30, Plant seemingly releases all his vocal frustrations with a primal air raid to end the song. "B+" for 73. (Plant tells the audience to put out their cigs)

Dancing Days- Robert again sounding very tired. Sounds solid throughout but I couldn't say it's anything special. "B+".

BYAS- Rob does sound a bit more lively here. Unfortunately there's some constant feedback throughout. Jim's breakdown is played well as he teases some Black Mountain Rag phrases. Good ending and a decent run through apart from Jimmy stopping because of the feedback. "A-".

TSRTS- Jimmy teases Satisfaction before starting. Good energetic start. 1:49, Plant falling a bit flat on this note. First solo- 2:30, phrasing is all over the place but not necessarily bad. Plant really pushing himself on the "California sunlight" section. Outro sounds decent. Excellent energy but a fairly loose performance. "B+".

Rain Song- Not sure if it's the recording or the live equipment but the vocals are dialed way down. Good beginning. Jones' mellotron section is played fantastically. Rock section- good. The song winds down nicely. "A-".

Dazed- Nice, moody start with some good energy by Bonham. First workout- Page gets going on some fluid, energetic lead phrasing as the others match his energy. 6:20, some Crunge like riffing on steroids. Page sounding very good on the San Francisco section. 11:15, the audience finds this a good time to do a hoe-down. Second workout- the recording gets murky throughout but sounds solid with plenty of energy. 20:00, funk section flowing well but is short. 21:43, Page tempts Rob on the call and response section but Plant holds back. 22:42, now he lets go a bit. Mars- hits well with the appropriate feedback screeches from Jim. The climax builds and hits nicely. The outro is very experimental and done fairly well with a thunderous ending. Overall quite good. "A".

Stairway- Good start but there's a cut at 2:02. Solo- 6:11, an unusual moment as Page holds this note for an incredibly long time instead of playing the full phrase. 7:14-7:38, nimble fingered runs on the quiet section. Final phrases are played perfectly with excellent bending. Plant pushes himself on the climax but he's still relatively weak. Outro is good. Everything we have sounds decent. "A".

WLL- Page teases some kind of jingle before starting (which sounds suspiciously like Tommy's Holiday Camp). Plant sounding a little flat on the opening verses. Theremin freakout is on point. Everybody Needs Somebody is good but goes by quickly. Solo- played excitedly by Page. Boogie Chillen- good start. 11:10, Page chokes on these phrases a bit. Solo- Jimmy goes berserk with excellent articulation. Baby I Don't Care- solid. Let's Have A Party- good. I Can't Quit You Baby- nice start. Solo- Jim starts out with delicate, relaxed phrasing then gradually amps it up. 21:45, still keeping it chill here. 22:10, Page and Bonham finally wake up and blow the doors off the place. Plant's lemon squeezing return is subdued. Not a bad rendition but lacks the out of control aggressiveness of other versions. Plant gets a decent scream in for the return and the finish is full on energy as Bonzo's drums echo throughout the venue. Not bad but not the best. "B+" compared to other performances.

Heartbreaker- Energetic start with good verses. Solo- The usual start. Well, there's smear sections then there's this. Wow. Bouree phrasing is good. Fast section is a little murky but he sounds impressive throughout, speedy and articulate. The return has Bonham having some fun with the beat. Excellent version. "A+".

The Ocean- Plant sounds a little nervous and shaky on the verses. 2:17, tape cut takes us to the outro. No rating. 

Final Assessment- A decent performance but obviously not the standout Euro 73 show. Plant is very lax and Jimmy isn't exactly on God mode here. It has some high points however. Heartbreaker is the main highlight in my opinion, with excellent energy and Jim shredding away. 

Nitpicking Page 3/14/1973 Nuremburg, Germany (Graf Zeppelin)

Untitled.jpg.09efec078eaf6ab0fb3ee74a3ba42a0c.jpg

Rock And Roll- Off to a booming start with a raspy Robert. Articulation is hard to hear but he knocks the phrasing out of the park. Excellent energy on this opening number. Not taking points off for the usually scratchy vocals I'd call this an "A+".

OTHAFA- Page sounding a bit loose on the intro. Plant really holding back on the verses. Solo- good start. 3:10, very nice flow with the phrasing. 3:55, maybe just a bit of turkey gobbling here. 4:11, very slight chord flub. Overall a solid solo. The vocals definitely have an impact on this one as Plant sounds near death on the last verses. Good outro by Jim. "B+".

Black Dog- Slow and thunderous tempo. 1:37, Plant somehow manages a very squeaky airraid. That's a +1 throat nodule. Solo- not a bad start but the phrasing is a little hesitant and choppy in places. 4:13, he gets going here on an excellent set of speedy runs for the remainder. A decent run-through. "A-".

MMH- 0:11, small flub by Jim. Verses sounding good with Bonham pounding away. Jimmy knocks down the solo. Plant manages this one quite well. "A-".

SIBLY- Good intro. Plant sounds semi warmed up now on the very quietly played first verses. Solo- Page a little late coming in but recovers nicely with some blazing blues licks. Top notch phrasing/playing on this one. Plant screechy on the return. 6:44, Page missing some notes. Plant manages to hit some powerful notes near the end. Not terrible but the solo is the real standout. "B+".

Dancing Days- Decent start. 1:59, vocal squeaks. 2:39, Page's slide work a little sloppy. Not the most impressive version. "B+".

BYAS- Solid intro and verses. Breakdown- after the usual improv noodling Page hints at That's The Way. Excellent finish. "A".

TSRTS- Superb energy on the takeoff. Excellent verses. First solo- 2:52, 2:56, slight hangups. Page gets a little mixed up on the phrasing but makes it work. The bridge sounds great but has a small cut. Outro solo- played well although Plant is straining a bit. Another cut before it ends. Overall "A-".

The Rain Song- Vocals are distant but the verses sound good. 3:20, mellotron sounds a little wonky through here. Rock section- a delay/echo effect overwhelms the mix but you can still hear Plant being very scratchy. Overall a bit lackluster. "B".

Dazed- Bonham throwing in some nice snare rolls on the beginning. 2:35, the main riff being played very heavily. 3:24, Bonzo destroys his kit for a couple measures, a theme that would continue throughout the Euro Dazed performances. First workout- excellent energy as Jimmy and Bonzo duel it out. San Fran section almost goes a too fast. 8:35, Bonham still energetic leading into the bow section. Bow section clocks in around 5 1/2 minutes. Second workout- 15:58, some sloppy phrasing by Page. 16:44 sounding great here. 18:40, in the zone on a nice jam section. 22:43, Bonzo misses the Mars cue but improvises some fills that work just as well. The climax hits hard with plenty of enthusiasm. The outro has Jimmy and Bonzo still going insane with some raspy vocal noises from Robert. Bonham's finishing triplets bring down the house. Not the tightest version but definitely up there as far as energy and dynamics. "A-".

Stairway- We get a quick tease of Ramble On before things get serious. 0:42, Page's guitar sounds unusually strange here, as if he's playing the intro on the six string instead of the twelve. 4:00, Robert's vocals sound especially melancholic. 5:57, small tape cut. 6:12, larger tape cut takes us to the last half of the solo. Solo- 7:10-7:26, Page just can't get a good flow going here. He nails the final phrases though. Plant straining some on the climax. An unusual version and not a precise one. "B+".

WLL- Another tease before starting, this time Tarantella Napoletana. Verses sound average. They get a quick funk jam in before a very short theremin section. Page instead jumps into a nice improvised jam section. "Everybody Needs Somebody" has good enthusiasm. Solo- Solid. Boogie Chillen- sounding good. Page digs his heels in for an awesome solo. Baby I Don't Care- 11:40, some unusual phrasing by Jim, otherwise solid. Let's Have A Party- good verses. Page's solo sounds a bit awkward as the phrasing doesn't match well. I Can't Quit You- Plant's weaker vocals can't really do this one justice. Jimmy nails down an adequate, extended solo but it's not the most intense I've heard from him. The return brings back some much needed energy though Plant is still weak. 26:24, Page sounds a little off on these ending phrases. Not a terrible version but could definitely be better. "B+".

Heartbreaker- Very solid, energetic start. Solo- the smear section is blazingly fast and articulate with some extra repeated phrases at the end. Bouree- there's one bad note, nearly unnoticeable. Fast section-  5:30, despite some speedy playing Page struggles on these ascending chords. Decent solo overall but not peak Jimmy. The return and outro sound fairly good. "B+".

Final Assessment- Not a bad show but not a great one either. Plant is rough, Page isn't exactly in the zone, but Bonham does deliver quite well with some tremendous energy throughout. This can be classified as a perfectly normal, average show. No trainwrecks, no mindblowers. Just a band who showed up to do their job. 

Nitpicking Page 3/17/1973 Munich, Germany (Live In Moon Chin- Winston)

maxresdefault.png.303be9c3889b2d5e78a358c674726b7a.pngFB_IMG_1621818982252.jpg.29cdd70360c560153d68bfcd82d1f68d.jpgimage1_copy.jpg.725950aba7b10faf02a4939ebe102b2c.jpg

A very clear audience source that is lacking some bass. 

Rock And Roll- Robert not sounding too bad at all. Solo- Phrasing is good but the articulation is questionable. Good energy for the opener and a decent version. "A-".

OTHAFA- Intro is a little loose but nothing major. Plant sounding pretty rough on the verses but the tempo and energy are spot on. 2:31, some loose notes and Page has a string out of tune. Solo- good start. Some good bits here and there but this one feels rushed with lackluster phrasing. Plant's return sounds pretty dreadful. Bonham throws in some nice fills toward the end. Pretty average with some flubs. "B".

Black Dog- Verses sounding decent with a faster tempo but Rob is still noticeably scratchy. 2:38, Page gets sticky fingered and struggles to catch back up to the beat. Solo- 4:12, excellent bends here. Phrasing is a tad erratic but seems to work fairly well as Jim shreds away. Not terrible. "B+".

MMH- 1:00, the main guitar riff sounds forced and off throughout, almost sharp. Plant is also really pushing his vocals while being reserved. Solo is played well. 3:50, voice crack. Robert's lack of vocal conviction drags this one down a bit along with Page's guitar possibly being out of tune. "B".

SIBLY- Not the best fast intro but the slower part is fantastic. Verses are decent but Robert is still a little reserved. Solo- a bit sloppy on the get go but he gets on track for some excellent phrasing. Plant attempts a throat tearing air raid on the return. The latter half has the band in full swing except for Robert, who sounds like he's ready for a nap. A nice version minus the vocals, but still not top tier. "B+".

Dancing Days- Page tuning his own guitar beforehand. Verses are decent but once again Robert just isn't feeling it. 3:09, Page getting off track with the slide phrasing. Bonham seems to be the only one in his element tonight. Generous "B+".

BYAS- Solid throughout. "A".

TSRTS- Decent intro. Plant sounding marginally better on the verses. First solo- Page struggles a bit to keep up with the blazing tempo and changes up the phrasing some. Outro solo- Page gets on fire for this one, phrasing and fingers nearly flawless. Plant's return however is much less impressive, screeching and croaking for his final verses. A dynamic version for sure but not top tier. "B+" not taking the vocals into much account.

The Rain Song- Guitar sounds slightly out of tune. Plant manages the verses ok. The mellotron/guitar section is done quite well with perfect balance on the recording. Rock Section- Plant tries to say "Talk to me" but he can barely talk. The others however blast away. Outro is decent to end it. Pretty average but Plant really hurts this one. "B".

Dazed- 1:08, Bonham having some fun. 3:32, I have no idea what the purpose of Plant's vocal delivery is on this song for this tour. He's always drowned out by an echo effect and sings more like he's doing a jazz/scat routine while just mumbling the words. In my opinion it ruins the integrity of the song, but that's an opinion unrelated to nitpicking. The first workout section is very good with nice phrasing by Page and energy by Bonham/Jones. The San Fran section feels rushed as the tempo goes pretty fast. Second Workout- awesome start. 15:20, source switch. 16:25-16:45, Page in the zone. 17:28, very unique fingerpicked phrasing. 20:15, excellent fluidity. Mars- Bonham's intro triplets are perfectly thunderous. 22:38, some confusion between Page and Bonham as to when they should hit the climax section but they make it work. Plant mumbles through the last verse. Page goes wild on the outro with screeching wah noodling as Bonham continues to thrash his drums in a tribal fashion. A little loose in places but overall it's an instrumental powerhouse. I'm gonna rate this as if Plant's vocals are just another instrument. Like a scratchy, echo-laden trombone or something. "A-".

Stairway- 0:37, some off notes by Jones. 1:24, again. The 'Tron must be acting up. 2:11, Robert sings the "Misgiven" part late and it doesn't match Page's phrasing. 5:00, some nice Good Time Bad Times -esque bass drum rolls by Bonham. Verses are mostly solid overall with a few minor hiccups. Solo- Page's structuring and fluidity is sounding flawless. 7:46, perfect bends. 8:00, good flow on the quiet part. Near perfect all the way through with excellent emotion behind each note. Plant's return on the climax is truly dreadful as he sounds like he almost just gives up. 9:27, these descending phrases by Page sound great. Not a spectacular version but I'd single out that solo as one of the best I've heard, definitely top 10. "B".

WLL- Plant sounding screechy on the verses. Page going wild on the funk jam, almost leaving the others behind. Theremin freakout sounding good. Plant squeaks his way through the "Everybody" section. 4:44, Page and Bonham build the tempo going into the solo, which is done well. Boogie Chillen- Page's phrasing on the solo is on the erratic side but his intense playing makes up for it. 9:20, Plant comes in a little early for "Baby I Don't Care" and when he tries again he's off key. They get it together however for a nice jam. Let's Have A Party- perfect amount of raunchiness and groove with a big finish. I Can't Quit You- good start. Solo- not the most technically impressive but he's feeling good tonight and it comes through with each note and bend, with Bonham and Jones matching his intensity. We get some "Going Down Slow" toward the end. 20:00-20:30, Bonham and Page getting down and dirty. Plant's air raid scream for the return is sickening. Bonham destroys his kit on the finale as this one ends. Taking Rob out of the equation, this performance is overall very solid, just a bit of looseness from Jimmy. But it also feels like Jimmy was a little reserved for his solos although they're still very good. Bonham really pushes this version as he's done all night. "A-" instrumentally, but let's just ignore Robert.  

Heartbreaker- 1:17, Robert just needs to pretend like his mic isn't working and let the others jam out on this. Solo- 3:20, another must hear smear section as there's no "smear" at all as Page nails every note with perfect articulation. The rockabilly jam is short and sweet, followed by a fantastic Bouree. Up tempo section- Page keeps the vibe going with excellent phrasing and no slop. 6:00, possible tape cut. 6:29, blazing away on these last phrases. The return is decent to end a superb rendition (minus raspy Rob). "A+" instrumentally. 

Final Assessment- It's rare Robert starts out a show decent and gets worse as it goes but this is one of those. Don't let that get in the way of some good performances by the others. Page himself is also slow to warm up but once Dazed rolls around he's playing on a pretty high level. The Stairway and Heartbreaker solos are some of the best I've heard. Bonzo is amped up throughout the show and his ability to match and accentuate Jim's improv parts is uncanny. A decent performance but not quite on the level of the other Euro shows.

Edited by gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 3/19/1973 Berlin, Germany (Reel Master 2nd gen)

Screenshot_20200720-203226_Facebook-picsay.jpg.f12c65bf7a5467b3f46713a0f71a27fa.jpgScreenshot_20200915-194711_Gallery-picsay.jpg.abd2c6a3a898d9161bb2570dcb01e6a2.jpgScreenshot_20200915-194742_Gallery-picsay.jpg.0ed89f9b318221b0a9fcb91caf66855c.jpgScreenshot_20200915-194752_Gallery-picsay.jpg.1d9ecfe8762e61fd3faf61d22fd82fe1.jpg

Mostly clear audience source with Jones very low in the mix. WLL has a soundboard recording available.

Rock And Roll- Booming energy and Plant is sounding exceptional for the era. Verses sound great. Solo- first couple phrases are very sticky but he gets on track after that. 2:23, sticky on the last phrase. Last verses sound good. Not flawless but a good start. "B+".

OTHAFA- Intro is just a little loose. Plant handling the verses quite well, careful not to push himself. Solo- Bonham adding fills throughout. 3:10, excellent run. A well structured, safely played solo. Nothing over the top. The return is good as Rob reserves himself. 4:45, he pushes here and cracks a bit. Outro is good. Hard to not go "A" considering Plant isn't a disaster here and everything is played solidly. 

Black Dog- 0:28, Page a little late to jump in. 1:41, a decent scream from Plant. Verses flowing quite well. 3:36, another decent scream though a bit painful sounding. Solo- Jimmy gets a nice flow going to start. 4:00-4:18, getting in the zone for some top notch phrasing. Very good. I think it's fair to call this an "A".

MMH- Verses sounding good as ever. Solo- solid. No flaws here. "A".

SIBLY- Excellent intro from Page. Verses are as good as they can be with Plant careful not to overdo it. Solo- good noodling to start. Solid playing and phrasing throughout. Plant puts tremendous emotion into the last verses. "A+".

Dancing Days- relaxed sounding but the groove and mood is perfect. Verses are solid. Solo- no flaws I can hear. Sounds good to my ears. "A".

BYAS- Uptempo and lively with Robert sounding excellent. 2:17, Page getting inventive with the chording. Breakdown- not bad, with a That's The Way tease. Solid ending. "A".

TSRTS- Plenty of energy out of the gate. Intro and verses sound good. First solo- fingers flying as Jim hammers down the phrasing perfectly. Plant strains just slightly on the California Sunlight section but manages quite well. Outro- solid playing throughout except for some loose chording at 4:31. 4:54, unique phrases I haven't heard before sounding great to end the run. Apart from one instance of sloppy chording this one is near perfect and one of the liveliest versions I've heard. "A+".

Rain Song- Intro and verses sounding good. Jones and Page play off each other nicely through the mellotron section. Rock section- recording gets a little muddy but sounds good and heavy with Plant not cracking. Outro played perfectly. "A+". (Plant jokes that Whole Lotta Love is a Jethro Tull song while Page plays a rockabilly riff).

Dazed- 0:49, Bonham getting wound up. The vocals again masked with a heavy echo effect. 3:26, squeaky vocals. First workout- excellent jam section but nothing too extreme. San Fran- 5:37, either a bad chord or a string out of tune. 6:50, takes Jim a few seconds to get the bow in his hands, perhaps he was tuning that string that sounded off. Second workout- off to the usual start. 15:09, switching to some bluesy/country sounding phrases. 16:04, struggling a little on the ascending riff. 16:27, we get some "Got A Feeling" riffs. 17:32, Page getting into the zone as Bonham blasts some thunderous fills. 20:12, Plant is holding his own with the vocal/guitar duel. 20:47, Page again in shred zone. Mars- enters perfectly and as heavy as ever as Bonham switches up the beat some. 22:17, this ascending phrase sounds fantastic as Jones matches it perfectly in the background. The timing on the climax is nailed and Bonzo's triplets level the building. 23:48, Page plays some unique riffs on the last verses. Outro jam- 25:30, some sticky articulation. The wah section is noticeably underwhelming this time around. The second workout is one of the most impressive I can recall hearing, the rest is pretty average with some hiccups. Which makes this tough to rate. I'll go "A-" overall but the second workout is certainly in "A++" territory.

Stairway- The initial verses are very somber but played well. 3:38, excellent vocal improv by Plant. 5:30, Plant getting more energetic. Solo- phrasing is a little choppy to start. 7:21, now here we go. Page starts to let his fingers fly. 7:59, unique phrasing. Final runs are nailed. Plant sounding a little flat on the climax, even changing up the vocal melody. Outro is good. A very unique version to say the least, though I can't grade it on uniqueness. "B+".

WLL- Decent start. This first jam is short and sweet as Jim moves on. Theremin section- good. Funk jam- Page gets in a groove with some nice chording but it ends up being a quick one. "Everybody" sounds good. Solo- perfect. Boogie Chillen- Plant and Page both with lots of enthusiasm. The song turns into a quick jam before the verses come in. Solo- Jim is on fire throughout. Baby I Don't Care- sounding good throughout. Let's Have A Party- 12:53, Plant flubs the vocals a bit. 13:12, and again. Solo- not bad, some good raunchy phrases. I Can't Quit You- usual start. Solo- good noodling from Jim. 18:10, slight tape cut of about 20 seconds (can be heard on the SBD). 19:25, getting dirty through here as Page plays with grit. Plant sounds convincing on the Lemon Squeeze section. The return is good and filled with energy as they bring it to a thunderous end. Not bad at all but far from the most impressive version. "A-". 

Final Assessment- "Consistent" is the word I'd use for this one as the entire band stay focused for the majority of the numbers. The entire first half of the show is solid as a rock and even the few flubs aren't enough to ruin anything. Plant sounds excellent for the most part, especially for this tour. Page's fingers are nimble and his phrasing excellent for most of it, with only a few spots of stickiness. Bonham is again energetic as he's been this whole tour. It's a crying shame Jones is so absent on the recording. Highlights are a near perfect TSRTS and a top tier second workout on Dazed as Jimmy taps into his element. 

Nitpicking Page 3/22/1973 Essen, Germany (Gracias- EVSD)

2003751380_download(3).jpg.46dadc0fc5ce3c198c954710a2744173.jpgc91bb9dee5dc79f86396e3f320217e22.jpg.d85f49d7c965a5c03f794b02bd7c3439.jpgessen73-9_0.jpg.d6e2d8a4bbe3259b9c14bf7203677bc4.jpgESSEN704.jpg.05f77200cbf7bc7cb1635d0821b82ee0.jpg

A decent audience source augmented by some soundboard recordings for Dazed and WLL. 

Rock And Roll- Robert sounding very raspy, squeaking on the first verses. The energy is there however. Solo- 2:30, underneath the murky recording that sounds like an inarticulate mess to start. He gets on track for the remainder. 2:59, slight hiccup. Plant straining on the return. Bonham destroys his kit on the ending. Plant hurts this a little and Jim wasn't perfect. "B+".

OTHAFA- Jim nails the intro except for a slight flub at 1:28. Plant pushes his way through the verses, not sounding too terrible. Solo- Jim starts working his way up from the lower octave. 2:57, sounds like a very small tape cut. Page strays from attempting lightning fast runs and focuses mostly on big bends and noisy screeches, but it works well. The last verses are good and Page plays the outro with a string slightly out of tune. "A-" giving some leeway for the vocals. (Plant tells the audience to "Cool it for about three minutes because James' guitar is fucked")

Black Dog- Plant still squeaky through the verses and Bonham's drums sound thunderous. The pre solo scream is between bad and decent. Solo- Good start as Jimmy puts emphasis on the bends. 4:04, Bonham giving it a push. 4:18, Page gets some speedy runs in but the phrasing is extremely erratic. An exciting solo but not the smoothest. Not bad. "B+". (Plant sounds half asleep during his between song banter)

MMH- 1:07, Plant still struggling as he sings half-heartedly. Solo- solid. Bonham throws in random fills like a madman throughout. Robert hurts this some but I'd still go "A-" for the tremendous energy the other three put in.

SIBLY- 0:07, just a bit of confusion as Jimmy ends the fast intro a little differently. 1:15-1:24, Page full of energy and leaving gaps between the phrases. Plant's raspiness actually suiting the mood of this song. 3:26, Page improvising some very experimental accompaniment behind the vocals. Solo- Jim wastes no time getting out of the gate. Excellent phrasing and articulation. Top notch solo. 5:20, Plant shoots for the moon with an all out air raid scream and it pays off. The ending verses sound good as they wind it down. Maybe not technically perfect but there's really nothing to subtract for. Then you have the bonus of a perfect solo and an air raid. "A+". (Robert's introduction for the next song could possibly be used against him in court)

Dancing Days- Plant finally sounding energetic. Good instrumentals all around. A very solid version. "A+".

BYAS- Sounding good throughout apart from some feedback issues toward the end. "A".

TSRTS- Intro is played perfectly before several tape cuts take us to the.. Solo- sounds good. Plant however does not on the California Sunlight section. Outro solo- Page hits his stride here as his fingers work some magic. No rating.

The Rain Song- 1:10, passionate vocals from Rob. Guitar/Mellotron section sounding good. 4:17, squeaky Rob. Rock Section- Vocals get very murky but nothing sounds too off. Outro played well. "A-".

Dazed- 3:08, some thundering fills by Bonham. First workout- Page and Bonham square off for an energetic jam. Robert throws in some "Cold Sweat" lyrics during the funk jam. 6:36, Page struggling a bit with the San Fran transition. 7:19, a bum note by Jim. 7:40, Bonzo switching the beat up. 7:57, missed chord. Bow section sounds perfectly adequate. Second workout- an interesting transition as Jimmy continues playing the bow on the start. 17:20, the descending/ascending runs sound decent. Page gets in the zone for some solid phrasing and finger acrobatics. The soundboard allows us to hear the details of Bonham's drumming, which I think sometimes goes unnoticed on audience recordings. 20:05, Bonzo and Page throwing in the kitchen sink. 20:46, uncanny syncopation on the improvised jam. 24:23, Bonham launches the Mars section with a booming drum roll as we hear Jim come in with a string badly out of tune. That doesn't hurt the excitement or the performance much however. 24:36, Page flicking his pickup switch. 25:25, Page and the rhythm section just being mind blowing with their timing and ability to read each other's minds. The climax hits home perfectly with the same energy. Outro jam- 29:20, getting in a trance like groove. 29:53, those drum intricacies I was talking about earlier as Bonham absolutely wrecks his kit. 30:38, of course Page gets in the final word with possibly the fastest run he's ever played. Well, well, well. A rollercoaster ride is understating it. I'd heard some folks brag about this one and I was a bit skeptical with the tamer than usual first half and some sloppy parts by Page, but the second workout alone puts this performance into a top tier, must hear bracket. However, it has flaws and I use my grading system based mostly on technical aspects of the entire performance. Which means, due to the complex, intricate, and very extended nature of this song, I'll give it two grades. Overall- "B+" due to a lackluster Jim in some sections and some strings out of tune. The second workout however is a one off "A+++", even with some mild guitar tuning issues. 

Stairway- Very sleepy tempo but the verses sound good. 6:32, nice vocal extension. Solo- tempo still dreadfully relaxed. The recording is fairly murky but sounds like decent playing from Page. 8:36, stretching this note out forever. Jimmy gets some nimble licks in on the quiet part. The final phrases sound good. Plant sounds fairly rough on the return but his heart is in it. An overall solid performance but you won't find any energy left over from Dazed here. "B+".

WLL- A better vibe going for this. First workout- a nice funk driven jam quickly goes into the theremin section, which also brings in the soundboard portion. "Everybody" features more jamming as they only loosely follow Robert's lead and have fun instead. Solo- good. Boogie Chillen- Robert improvises some different lyrics throughout although he struggles to put any energy into it. Solo- Page goes on his usual noodly tirade. Baby I Don't Care- 13:11, some loose chords but otherwise good. Let's Have A Party- Plant a bit squeaky on the verses and Page plays some excellent country string bends on the solo. I Can't Quit You- Page's opening notes are very unique has he plays an arpeggiated chord. 18:30, Plant pushing what's left of his high range. Solo- Page plays relaxed to start and slowly build up speed. 20:31, finally taking off on some excellent runs. The guitar drops in the mix from here. 20:54, Bonham turns up the heat as he starts playing double time. 23:10, Jim let's the tiger out of the cage for some grimey phrases. 25:00, some You Shook Me riffing. The return raises the energy level up and they end it nicely. A better Rob would obviously improve things but as it is, "A-".

Heartbreaker- Verses sounding good despite raspy Rob. Solo- solid start and perfect playing on the fast section. Bouree sounds decent. We get some 59th St also. Up tempo section- Jimmy on fire as his fingers fly across the fretboard with perfect articulation. Plant struggling on the return but what else is new. They wrap it up nicely. I'm gonna take Robert out of the equation here and give it an "A+".

Final Assessment- Definitely one of those where you just have to look past Plant and enjoy the other three going ape instrumentally. He never actually gets warmed up for this one and sounds tired throughout. As for the others there are some very impressive moments. Dancing Days is played near perfectly, SIBLY has a unique, darker feel to it and a blazing solo, WLL and Heartbreaker are both instrumentally astounding. Then there's the last half of Dazed where Jim and Bonzo basically blow the roof off the place in an endless array of musical dynamics. Such a shame they weren't as on point for the first half. Also worth mentioning that it's another high energy showing from Bonham, blasting away with extra drum fills throughout the show. 

57 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

A rollercoaster ride is understating it. I'd heard some folks brag about this one and I was a bit skeptical with the tamer than usual first half and some sloppy parts by Page, but the second workout alone puts this performance into a top tier, must hear bracket. However, it has flaws and I use my grading system based mostly on technical aspects of the entire performance. Which means, due to the complex, intricate, and very extended nature of this song, I'll give it two grades. Overall- "B+" due to a lackluster Jim in some sections and some strings out of tune. The second workout however is a one off "A+++", even with some mild guitar tuning issues. 

I think this is a fair assessment. I go back and forth between Essen and Vienna for all-time fav DAC.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:31 AM, 1975NQ said:

I think this is a fair assessment. I go back and forth between Essen and Vienna for all-time fav DAC.

Vienna is another BEAST. They make some astounding transitions and some passages are insane like 17:20 to 17:55. The outro, the whole song. All of them connect amazingly at different times but for me Essen has it.