Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
achillestand

New "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Deluxe Set

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Walter said:

What’s the deal with the 3rd dvd? 

I think the 3rd disc is the BluRay.

Gee, and right now it's a "bargain" at only $250. :rolleyes: I think the price will come down as the release date comes closer. (FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for this, and I'd much rather pay around $100).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JTM said:

Break then, this is a 2007 reissue.

F!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no chance they will force people to buy the Record Set to get the Movie.   I'm sure down the road more formats will appear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect the big release for Christmas will be a re-mastered "Mothership" followed six months later with a re-mastered "Early Days and Later Days". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

I expect the big release for Christmas will be a re-mastered "Mothership" followed six months later with a re-mastered "Early Days and Later Days". 

You forgot the  re-master of Celebration Day with backstage (JP brushing his teeth and yelling out window at Robbie Williams)  / remastered rehearsal footage 😁

R😎👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, reids said:

You forgot the  re-master of Celebration Day with backstage (JP brushing his teeth and yelling out window at Robbie Williams)  / remastered rehearsal footage 😁

R😎👍

LMAO!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTM said:

Break then, this is a 2007 reissue.

Damn. You sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Damn. You sure?

CD audio will be the same as the 2007 release, to match the audio from the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ForEvermore said:

I think the 3rd disc is the BluRay.

Gee, and right now it's a "bargain" at only $250. :rolleyes: I think the price will come down as the release date comes closer. (FWIW, I wouldn't pay more than $150 for this, and I'd much rather pay around $100).

 

This is a slap in the face to fans who’ve been loyal in terms of buying product. How many ways can he milk the same cow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Walter said:

This is a slap in the face to fans who’ve been loyal in terms of buying product. How many ways can he milk the same cow?

I hear you...

For me personally, the BluRay audio is the one thing I'm interested in, unless the CDs have the proper, original "No Quarter" included and remastered along with the 2007 bonus tracks. If that's the case, then I'm mostly OK with this (but not at $250 - it will remain unbought if it stays anywhere near that price).

Sam's post confirmed that this is the last of the remasters project, not the first of the new releases that are allegedly coming.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll buy a stand alone BluRay of the movie but not all this other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, chef free said:

I'll buy a stand alone BluRay of the movie but not all this other stuff.

It's got to be a BluRay audio of the soundtrack - that's what this remaster is, i.e., of the soundtrack. The BluRay of the movie already exists.

 

Edited by ForEvermore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ForEvermore said:

I hear you...

For me personally, the BluRay audio is the one thing I'm interested in, unless the CDs have the proper, original "No Quarter" included and remastered along with the 2007 bonus tracks. If that's the case, then I'm mostly OK with this (but not at $250 - it will remain unbought if it stays anywhere near that price).

Sam's post confirmed that this is the last of the remasters project, not the first of the new releases that are allegedly coming.

 

Gotcha. Thanks for the additional info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Walter said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the additional info!

No problem!

Still, I get everyone being a bit pissed about this. Originally, the HTWWW remaster was said to be the last of the remasters...oops, except this one... :rolleyes:

If this torpedoes anything truly new before Xmas, then there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and random dumpster fires and burnt-out automobiles by the roadside planet-wide...

C'mon, Jimmy - have a heart; prevent the worldwide meltdown. :rant:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it's the full Shepperton Studio footage played to the soundtrack.  That would be something new and exciting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one curious why Thank You from the last night has never shown up in any form? Do we think it was even recorded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

There is no chance they will force people to buy the Record Set to get the Movie.   I'm sure down the road more formats will appear.  

That is correct! Most of the parts are available individually:

https://store.ledzeppelin.com/

 

I'll be getting the BluRay Audio for sure - I was possibly going to get the CDs too if there were new remastering (like there was for the new HTWWW); however, if everyone's comments above are correct about the CDs, then I'll be giving that a pass.

 

...EXCEPT...

 

I just re-read Sam's post about the set. It does have remastered audio like the recent HTWWW - from the press release:

 

"Led Zeppelin conclude their reissue campaign with a new edition of the soundtrack to the concert film ‘The Song Remains The Same’, originally released in 1976 and featuring newly remastered audio supervised by Jimmy Page."

 

Well, that means CDs in addition to the BluRay Audio for me. (Please, Jimmy, please have remastered the original "No Quarter" and included it with the newly-remastered 2007 bonus tracks.)

 

Edited by ForEvermore
re-read Sam's post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The completist in me would, of course, like to own this release but $250 is pretty salty. I already own TSRTS on vinyl and the movie on Bluray. It will almost certainly be available for hi-res MQA streaming over Tidal  like the rest of the re-issues. Hell, I've even made my own 12 x 12 print for display. I might have to pass on this release unless the price drops dramatically, as in 40-50% off.

20180621_221757.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks, it's definitely just a remaster of the 2007 version - so no original No Quarter, no restored Crunge section in Whole Lotta Love, and no superior guitar solo in Celebration Day.

I've bought all the prior reissues, and I really love the Blu-Ray of How the West Was Won and don't care about the removal of "Mary Lou" from Whole Lotta Love - but this time, I'm taking a pass. No reason to get this: Fans already have pieced together great edits combining the original tracks with the added 2007 tracks, and remastered the whole thing to all sound similar and superior to the official versions. The sound quality on this new reissue likely will top the fan versions, but probably only slightly, and it's just not worth it IMHO given the horrid edits in the official 2007 version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Walter said:

What’s the deal with the 3rd dvd? 

 

And honestly, what's the deal with the first 2 DVD's in the not-so-super deluxe box set?  It's 2018 for crying out loud.  Who the hell wants the movie on DVD instead of Blu-ray?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Led Zeppelin conclude their reissue campaign with a new edition of the soundtrack to the concert film ‘The Song Remains The Same’, originally released in 1976 and featuring newly remastered audio supervised by Jimmy Page.
 
The album was recorded in July 1973 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, and the new version is due to be released on September 7th 2018 as a Super Deluxe Boxed Set, CD, vinyl, digital versions, plus the full album’s debut release in Hi-Res 5.1 surround sound on Blu-ray.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com

----

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/news/song-remains-same-soundtrack-featuring-newly-remastered-audio-supervised-jimmy-page-due-sept-7

That is a great clip, I'll give that much credit.  But overall this sounds like a money-grab, sad to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With all the songs on this release, I can't believe Page wouldn't throw on the full "No Quarter"with the full original lead, even as an extra track. It's arguably his best live solo, which is saying alot, as the whole TSRTS Page is on fire, he has to know this at this point. He should've put both the full original 1976 release remastered (not remixed), and also the 2007 remixed version on this set, both in 24/96. No reason not to. Plus, on the 2007 remix, although the sound is good overall, Kevin Shirley ruined the tympani hits and gong smash right before the solo section on "No Quarter" when he drowned it out with that overdone cheesy phaser effect...I'm surprised Page signed off on that as he's a Bonzo purist...this took all the power out of what may have been Bonzo's most crushing fill! Listen to that same tympani fill with gong smash on the 1976 original TSRTS NQ non-remastered version, PURE POWER! Shirley also did the same to Bonzo's toms during Moby Dick triplets crescendo on the 2007 version.

Edited by Tea41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blooze said:

Am I the only one curious why Thank You from the last night has never shown up in any form? Do we think it was even recorded?

I said the same thing a few days ago. This really sucks! I'm sticking with my 1976 original. Maybe for Black Friday RSD, we'll get a remaster/alt take of the Immigrant Song/Hey Hey What Can I Do single.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×