Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
confounded_bridge

1977 SHOWS RANKED INTO 3 CATEGORIES

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Excellent write-up. I would expect nothing less from someone called "Bonzo fan". 👍

Thanks, Strider 😊

Fwiw I don’t get all,the hate for 5-26-77 I think it’s an a very cool show kind relaxed with some nice fluid playing by JImmy listen to Stairway solo and talk to me 

to each his own I guess 

On 9/15/2018 at 4:13 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I don't get the love for the 11th. I thought the 10th blew it away both technically and energetically. The 10th, 13th, and 14th are the standouts from that run to me, but they all have their highlights I guess. 

I owe it to Nutrocker for turning me on to to 6.11.77. .It sucks that NY 77 doesn't represent sonicly like LA 77. .Isn't it crazy that we all have different tastes when we talk about shows?  I cringe when someone will say for example 5.24.75 EC is their favourite or the 2nd KW show was killer LOL. . All this chatter about the 9.29 SB coming out yet Im not all that excited. .I was stoked for the Seattle SB last year and was greatful someone gave it to me. . Now if only a 6.22.77 SB would come out. . . 🙏😄 

Edited by Bozoso73

49 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I owe it to Nutrocker for turning me on to to 6.11.77. .It sucks that NY 77 doesn't represent sonicly like LA 77. .Isn't it crazy that we all have different tastes when we talk about shows?  I cringe when someone will say for example 5.24.75 EC is their favourite or the 2nd KW show was killer LOL. . All this chatter about the 9.29 SB coming out yet Im not all that excited. .I was stoked for the Seattle SB last year and was greatful someone gave it to me. . Now if only a 6.22.77 SB would come out. . . 🙏😄 

5/24/75 is definitely overrated, except for Trampled through to the end.

And yes, a 6/22/77 soundboard would be a Godsend 🙏  I think the fact that the SB of the Noise Solo from 6/23/77 circulates, coupled with the release of the 3/21/75 & 9/29/71 SBs, proves that 6/22/77 and other 'holy grail' SBs likely exist...it's only a matter of time.  And it's certainly encouraging that they would release 3/21/75 & 9/29/71 in consecutive years...

Edited by Bonzo_fan

9 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

. . All this chatter about the 9.29 SB coming out yet Im not all that excited. 

I'm with you here. I was originally excited until I compared 9/29 Immigrant Song to 8/31 Orlando. Orlando just blows it away, which made me realize 9/29 probably isn't as great as we think. I'm still happy for anything though.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm with you here. I was originally excited until I compared 9/29 Immigrant Song to 8/31 Orlando. Orlando just blows it away, which made me realize 9/29 probably isn't as great as we think. I'm still happy for anything though.

I know this is off topic for this thread but I went back and compared both Orlando and Osaka Immigrant Songs.  Both are essential listening of course but I give the nod to Osaka.  The bass and drums are clearer and much more distinct, and the solo is longer with the wah wah section.    And the rest of the Osaka show is so excellent.  Osaka Celebration Day alone will be worth the price of admission to me.

1 hour ago, John M said:

, and the solo is longer with the wah wah section.    

Longer or not, Page's playing on Orlando is miles above Osaka. That's really what I was basing my opinion from. 

Edit: In reference to Immigrant Song only.

Edited by gibsonfan159

One of my favorite things to do is read reminiscences of Zep concerts by people who attended them. One in particular sticks out. The person saw one of the '77 shows. He said the transition from the end of Jimmy's solo to the beginning of Achilles was the most stunning thing he ever saw in the 100 or so concerts he attended. This version from 5/22/77 made me think of how great it must have been to see that; the laser pyramid spinning around Jimmy in his dragon suit, him playing some seemingly random notes, "what song is this?", and then the blinding white lights as they launch into Achilles. Man, how I wish I got to see them live. 

5 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

One of my favorite things to do is read reminiscences of Zep concerts by people who attended them. One in particular sticks out. The person saw one of the '77 shows. He said the transition from the end of Jimmy's solo to the beginning of Achilles was the most stunning thing he ever saw in the 100 or so concerts he attended. This version from 5/22/77 made me think of how great it must have been to see that; the laser pyramid spinning around Jimmy in his dragon suit, him playing some seemingly random notes, "what song is this?", and then the blinding white lights as they launch into Achilles. Man, how I wish I got to see them live.

The '77 Jimmy solo transition that really sticks out for me is the end of "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" going into "Kashmir."

Jimmy is sitting on a small stool while soloing, and for the last note of Black Mountain Side, Jimmy stands and kicks the stool back in one motion, and immediately launches into the opening chords of the epic "Kashmir," with the power, the full force, the "Hammer Of The Gods..."

I made a mix tape in the 90's with the quick edit between the two songs. Happy Daze! :bubble:

Edited by The Rover

8 minutes ago, The Rover said:

The '77 Jimmy solo transition that really sticks out for me is the end of "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" going into "Kashmir."

Jimmy is sitting on a small stool while soloing, and for the last note of Black Mountain Side, Jimmy stands and kicks the stool back in one motion, and immediately launches into the opening chords of the epic "Kashmir," with the power, the full force, the "Hammer Of The Gods..."

Yes!  That was one of the special moments for me too, June 11, 1977.  I had never heard White Summer before so I kept wondering what is he playing?  Is this a new song?  Then the familiar Black Mountainside started and the intensity built up to that incredible opening of Kashmir.  I had no idea what to expect not knowing the set list in advance.  Not knowing the set list added real mystery and excitement to the show.  I had not seen any reviews of the tour yet and of course there was no internet or social media.   The laser pyramid and the opening to Achilles probably equaled the opening of Kashmir for me.

One other thing that I recall vividly is the lighting during Kashmir as Page did that circular pattern on the stage.

During No Quarter Page took a full run toward the piano and did an abrupt stop right in front of it.  For a second I thought is he going to jump on top of the piano ?  He was that active and mobile during the show.

The opening of the show was pure mania and bedlam.  Then the Rover started and I thought wow they are playing the Rover !!  When Sick Again took over I thought wait what ?  What happened to the Rover?  What is this?  Wow it is Sick Again!!  I had already forgotten the Rover, except I was writing down the set list as we went and later saw my scribbled note saying the Rover.