Song Remains the Same Re-Issue - No Quarter

joncl

50 minutes ago, joncl said:

Does anyone know if the version of No Quarter is the full original version, or the butchered version from the first remaster?

NQ will be the 2007 version. This upcoming release is a reissue of the 2007 album.

2 hours ago, chef free said:

What the hell is wrong with Jimmy Page?  Is there anyone on this board who prefers the butchered 2007 version to the original near-perfect version?

Only a complete madman...or Jimmy Page I guess. 

I used to play the shit outta TSRTS on my record player and car tape deck back in the day. Went through five LP's and countless tapes from 1978 - 1990 when I bought the CD. I remember seeing TSRTS movie for the first time in 1981 (I believe, not sure, I was 13) and I was completely stoked when Jones started playing those ominous minor keys to begin NQ. Oh man, this was my favorite live Zep tune and made the album version sound like lounge jazz by comparison. Then...WTF? There appears to sound like a cut or some other kind of tape fuck up as Jimmy was doing that sweet rhythm intro before the solo. It just went straight into the solo, and, parts were different as well. Damn was I pissed. Of course I found out later that the movie version and the soundtrack version were different but still, why did Jimmy do that on the original movie version? It sounded shitty.

Then to add insult to injury instead of fixing the movie version to match the soundtrack, he did the opposite in 2007. You killed No Quarter...You Bastard (South Park reference, no offense meant).

Edited by IpMan

With all the bonus track mania going on with the Zep reissues, how couldn't Page put the full live NQ with the full solo from 1976 version on this new TSTRS release, at least as a bonus track? IT'S AMONG HIS BEST LIVE SOLO'S EVER. Is Page that isolated and out of touch that no one has told him how much the fans want this? We've been waiting decades now for it. This is the last TSRTS release, so I guess there's no hope for it. I'll take the full NQ remastered with the full solo over 99% of all the Zep reissue "outtakes", which I love. Page still seems sharp, not sure why he refuses to put his best solo out in a remastered form. There is no excuse.

Edited by Tea41

1 hour ago, Tea41 said:

With all the bonus track mania going on with the Zep reissues, how couldn't Page put the full live NQ with the full solo from 1976 version on this new TSTRS release, at least as a bonus track? IT'S AMONG HIS BEST LIVE SOLO'S EVER. Is Page that isolated and out of touch that no one has told him how much the fans want this? We've been waiting decades now for it. This is the last TSRTS release, so I guess there's no hope for it. I'll take the full NQ remastered with the full solo over 99% of all the Zep reissue "outtakes", which I love. Page still seems sharp, not sure why he refuses to put his best solo out in a remastered form. There is no excuse.

Yes !

If there is an issue whereby Jimmy HAS to keep the remastered release the exact same, fine, I can deal with the shitty, butchered 2007 NQ. However, Jimmy can still release the original 76' release NQ in a remastered source as a bonus. Why not do that?, In fact, why not release the album with two remastered versions, the original 76' and the 2007 of the album with all the bonus songs (SIBLY, MMH, The Ocean, BD, OTHAFA, etc.) as well. It would be, without a doubt, the definitive version and one to close the books on MSG 73'.

I understand everyone's gripe about NQ but the original mix is still available and any good Zeppelin fan worth his bones should have both versions anyway.

Want the original, here it is on amazon uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Song-Remains-Same-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B000002I3D/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530863976&sr=1-4&keywords=led+zeppelin+the+song+remains+the+sam

Edited by JTM

3 hours ago, JTM said:

I understand everyone's gripe about NQ but the original mix is still available and any good Zeppelin fan worth his bones should have both versions anyway.

Want the original, here it is on amazon uk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Song-Remains-Same-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B000002I3D/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530863976&sr=1-4&keywords=led+zeppelin+the+song+remains+the+sam

Spot on! Still sounds good to me!!!

10 hours ago, joncl said:

I have the original version, which I substitute into the re-mastered albums, but the sound quality is not the same.

Damn it, I'm gonna buy the new remaster. I've been listening to the 76 version for twenty years and maybe the new mix will blow my mind.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Damn it, I'm gonna buy the new remaster. I've been listening to the 76 version for twenty years and maybe the new mix will blow my mind.

Even though the old LP mix isn't the greatest, I prefer it to the overly processed sound of the 2007 remaster. That was such a missed opportunity, sonically and content wise. It's been said way too many times here , but the real fans want the original LP version, remastered, and with the addition of Black Dog, OTHAFA, Misty, SIBLY, Heartbreaker and The Ocean. Which is basically, the Heywood version. 

Too bad, another disappoinment. Hope come fall the good shit will start to appear. 

Edited by porgie66

I want the mix where Plant's voice isn't artificially, and quite obviously changed like the original version at "venture the path where no ones on.... aaaaaahhhhhhh" (3mins in) and again after the long interlude. The re-release fixed (dropped) this "effect", but also dropped the intro to the solo which is COMPLETELY INSANE.

I thought Heywood kept the normal voice and the solo, but I just checked and it hasn't.

THAT is what I want. No murdering Plant's voice by making him artificially wail but keep that immense solo intro!

MAYBE,  just maybe some parts of the 2007 issue are from another recording day.

I believe they gave three concert that period at the MSG, and I don't think that

every day they play the same length of songs, one day it's 12 min. the next day it's 14 min. or 10 min.

Listen to Moby dick, Dazed and confused they all are sleightly different than the 1976 issue.

So MAYBE one song is from the first concert and another song from the second or third concert.

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I want the mix where Plant's voice isn't artificially, and quite obviously changed like the original version at "venture the path where no ones on.... aaaaaahhhhhhh" (3mins in) and again after the long interlude. The re-release fixed (dropped) this "effect", but also dropped the intro to the solo which is COMPLETELY INSANE.

I thought Heywood kept the normal voice and the solo, but I just checked and it hasn't.

THAT is what I want. No murdering Plant's voice by making him artificially wail but keep that immense solo intro!

I believe that effect was done at the show itself, not after the fact so taking it out is actually detracting from the actual live experience. Like it or not if that is the case it should be left as is, just like the original solo. Jimmy simply changed way too much on NQ re-release 2007.

3 hours ago, henk2018 said:

MAYBE,  just maybe some parts of the 2007 issue are from another recording day.

I believe they gave three concert that period at the MSG, and I don't think that

every day they play the same length of songs, one day it's 12 min. the next day it's 14 min. or 10 min.

Listen to Moby dick, Dazed and confused they all are sleightly different than the 1976 issue.

So MAYBE one song is from the first concert and another song from the second or third concert.

thank goodness we have Eddie Edwards who studied the what and whereabouts of TSRTS  (and HTWWW, the Beeb sessions, Olympia 69) on his scholarly thorough (and still witty) The Garden Tapes website. 

17 hours ago, IpMan said:

I believe that effect was done at the show itself, not after the fact so taking it out is actually detracting from the actual live experience. Like it or not if that is the case it should be left as is, just like the original solo. Jimmy simply changed way too much on NQ re-release 2007.

Are you sure? Because the effect itself I wouldn't mind except it completely distorts the drums. Seems like that is a really lame effect when it fucks one thing up to change another. I thought it was post processing as they thought that specific note needed an assist from post-processing and they were happy to live with a drum distortion.

I never understood it since the first time I heard it. It just detracts.

6 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Are you sure? Because the effect itself I wouldn't mind except it completely distorts the drums. Seems like that is a really lame effect when it fucks one thing up to change another. I thought it was post processing as they thought that specific note needed an assist from post-processing and they were happy to live with a drum distortion.

I never understood it since the first time I heard it. It just detracts.

I believe it is a phase affect on the original 76' version as it is not on the 2007 version however the effect is not as pronounced as I remembered it and I cannot tell if it was added later or an effect used live. I would suggest checking out The Garden Tapes as they have every minute detail regarding these shows and recordings.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:08 AM, IpMan said:

Yes !

If there is an issue whereby Jimmy HAS to keep the remastered release the exact same, fine, I can deal with the shitty, butchered 2007 NQ. However, Jimmy can still release the original 76' release NQ in a remastered source as a bonus. Why not do that?, In fact, why not release the album with two remastered versions, the original 76' and the 2007 of the album with all the bonus songs (SIBLY, MMH, The Ocean, BD, OTHAFA, etc.) as well. It would be, without a doubt, the definitive version and one to close the books on MSG 73'.

Same goes for the excellent “Celebration Day” from the ‘76 release - with a sizzling solo at the end! 

7 hours ago, Zeppered said:

My problem lies with the deletion of the original album availability. Not with the new content.

IMO, those should be presented as bonus tracks.

Will future generations never know of the original tracks?

Possibly. I think many in this generation already don't know, unless they sought out the original LP or CD issue, or read this forum. C'est la vie. 

5 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Anyone have any thoughts on why Page added Over the Hills, The Ocean, etc. but NOT Thank You from the last night in NY? Is he saving that for Record Store Day 2019 (sigh....)

Thank You was only played on the last night, so Jimmy wasn´t able to choose the best out of 3, or "frankenstein" the best pieces of three nights to create one super version. I am afraid, he simply wasn´t satisfied with the version of the 29th.

And YES, I think he should release it, as he should release the original, intact NQ!

The No Quarter edit really does pull you out of the song with a jolt and a lurch - it's a pretty cackhanded cut, I've got to say.
You really do need the original - and, like Walter said, that way you'd also have the old solo at the end of Celebration Day, too. 

Edited by Brigante