Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
John M

Comments from Non Fans

I was thinking about some comments and reactions I have heard over the years from people who are not Zeppelin fans.  

Freshman year in college - we were blasting studio Stairway in the dorm.  A crowd gathered in the hall to listen.  When the song was over the first comment was the very predictable "wow, what a great guitar solo".  Then our Resident Assistant (sophomore, preppy, liked Jackson Browne, Boz Skaggs, etc) said "Forget about the guitar solo, I want to know who is playing those drums !!"

What funny or interesting comments have you heard about Zeppelin from non-fans?

"I never heard of this Len Zeflin guy before but the guy ROCKS!!!" - random guy

"The singer sounded like some wounded tortilla fucker" - Ted Nugent

Some sweet, some sour

Grandmother 1986 while watching The Song Remains The Same on Christmas Day. "George, didn't I take you to see these guys? Me, Wait, Grandma you saw Zeppelin? Yes, it was SO loud and the guitar player was so skinny". My uncle George was 13 in 1973 and she took him to go see Zeppelin at The Chicago Stadium that summer. 

George saw Zeppelin again in 77 at the Chicago Stadium and was at the show that ended early. Sadly he passed away in 1990. My grandmother however is still alive - she's 94!   

Here's another one I recall.

A bunch of us went to the TSRTS movie for like the fourth time the first year it came out.  One non fan joined us.  After the movie she said "Well, they are pretty good, but they need to get some better material."

Posted (edited)

The first or second time I went to what was my go-to butcher for the last two years, Dazed and Confused from How the West Was Won was playing through their system. I was very pleased, of course, and said something to the effect of hell yeah, nice taste you have there. The response was along the lines of, hell yeah man, I think this one's called LA Drone. .......I didn't correct him lol...have to show some semblance of restraint now and then...right?

About a year ago my father re did his entire system. He's not a Zeppelin fan, his favorites are others from those days. Too heavy for him (understandable). Nonetheless, when the system was done and ready, he had a glass of scotch, I turned the lights just about all the way down, and I played him No Quarter from TSRTS. He said it was his favorite thing he ever heard!

Edited by paplbojo

On 7/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, Bozoso73 said:

I love how most of these idiots say things like "Talented band but overrated". . A kick in the brains would serve them right. 

They  don't  have  brains