Robert Plant Oakland 07/24/77

Zufo

12 hours ago, LZ77 said:

Hi Cruz!!! I haven't seen you around for a very long time. I hope you can share more photos!!

IMG_3430.thumb.JPG.2dcb8e1575b102523c9d4706650b516f.JPG

This is the way "cool" looks performing onstage - ️👁

How do you know that these old photos are authentic? These days fake photos are way to frequent, way too easy to make. For example, a few years back, some folks that hate me spread fake photos of me doing things I would never do to people who knew me, personally and professionally. Those fakes were done so well nobody could tell they were fake. (the perils of the digital age)

I know that MY photographs "are real" - I took them! - of course people do "copy" images - stealing is more like it - it happened to me - read about how a photograph of mine became the cover of a bootleg LP in trivia - I no longer sell them for that very reason - 

IMG_1617.JPG.963bb27c2457cabc274fcac116447a63.JPG

4 hours ago, Zufo said:

I know that MY photographs "are real" - I took them! - of course people do "copy" images - stealing is more like it - it happened to me - read about how a photograph of mine became the cover of a bootleg LP in trivia - I no longer sell them for that very reason - 

IMG_1617.JPG.963bb27c2457cabc274fcac116447a63.JPG

Oh c'mon Zufo, those are obviously pictures of Page & Plant doing things they would never do. FAKE NEWS!!! :hysterical:

Led Zeppelin by 1977 became what Bonzo feared most. {people coming to a concert just to see the band, not so much being interested in the music. Led Zeppelin still was a huge draw, though other bands took the mantle of hard rock. How could you enjoy sitting 300 level in the King Dome and enjoy the show. Echo in the dome was horrible, and the band wasn't playing at their best in majority of their shows. 

Image result for led zeppelin 1977 pictures

2 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

Led Zeppelin by 1977 became what Bonzo feared most. {people coming to a concert just to see the band, not so much being interested in the music. Led Zeppelin still was a huge draw, though other bands took the mantle of hard rock. How could you enjoy sitting 300 level in the King Dome and enjoy the show. Echo in the dome was horrible, and the band wasn't playing at their best in majority of their shows. 

As you said, the echo was horrible and most of the kids were stoned off their asses. Zep could have farted into their mic's for 3 hours and the crowd would have still went ape shit and thought it the best gig ever.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, strombringer101 said:

I  have  noticed  that  in  many  of  your  posts, you  badly  criticize  1977. Have  you  ever  heard  Cleveland  4/28, LA, Birmingham, Pontiac  and  NY? These  are  great  concerts, most  of  them  better  than  1975

On 7/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, IpMan said:

As you said, the echo was horrible and most of the kids were stoned off their asses. Zep could have farted into their mic's for 3 hours and the crowd would have still went ape shit and thought it the best gig ever.

The  sound  quality  has  nothing  to  do  with  the  level  of  the  performance. The  Pontiac  77  show  is  brilliant  (the  audience  recording  doesn't  lie)

A  soundboard  of  this  show  is  in  my  top  10  list.

Can I ask a couple of questions? How easy are soundboard recordings of concerts to get and how many do you have.  I am fascinated that posters here on the forum can name specific shows recorded in an era when fans were not supposed to be able to access these recordings.

22 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Can I ask a couple of questions? How easy are soundboard recordings of concerts to get and how many do you have.  I am fascinated that posters here on the forum can name specific shows recorded in an era when fans were not supposed to be able to access these recordings.

The  1980  and  many  1973  soundboard  recordings  were  stolen  from  Jimmy's  house. They  are  circulating  since  the  eighties  and  nineties. The  1975  and  1977  soundboards  are  a  different  story. They  probably  come  from  a  former  showco  employee  and  they  started  circulating  since  the  2000's  when  the  bootleg  company  empress  valley  started  their  "soundboard  revolution"  campaign. They  release  one  recording  each  year. All  the  soundboard  recordings  circulate  and  you  can  find  them  for  free  on  youtube  or  on  websites  like  "black  beauty"  or  "long  live  led  zeppelin." 

We  can  only  suppose  how  many  shows  were  recorded. For  1977, many  fans  in  the  zeppelin  community  (me  included)  believe  that  all  the  second  and  third  leg  of   the  tour  was  recorded. From  LA  1977, the  only  thing  that  circulates  is  a  soundboard  fragment  of  Jimmy's  noise  solo  (June  23)

I  personally  believe  that  the  Pontiac  Silverdome  concert  was  recorded  for  historic  purpose. In  my  opinion, all  the  remaining  soundboards  will  surface during  the  next  years. It  is  a  matter  of  time. Remember  the  rumors  about  the  9/28/1971  and   9/29/1971  shows  in  Japan. Many  people  were  saying  that  the  tapes  do  not  exist. But  they  recently  starded  circulating, one  song  after  the  other. Soon, we  gonna  get  the  whole  thing.

4 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

The  1980  and  many  1973  soundboard  recordings  were  stolen  from  Jimmy's  house. They  are  circulating  since  the  eighties  and  nineties. The  1975  and  1977  soundboards  are  a  different  story. They  probably  come  from  a  former  showco  employee  and  they  started  circulating  since  the  2000's  when  the  bootleg  company  empress  valley  started  their  "soundboard  revolution"  campaign. They  release  one  recording  each  year. All  the  soundboard  recordings  circulate  and  you  can  find  them  for  free  on  youtube  or  on  websites  like  "black  beauty"  or  "long  live  led  zeppelin." 

We  can  only  suppose  how  many  shows  were  recorded. For  1977, many  fans  in  the  zeppelin  community  (me  included)  believe  that  all  the  second  and  third  leg  of   the  tour  was  recorded. From  LA  1977, the  only  thing  that  circulates  is  a  soundboard  fragment  of  Jimmy's  noise  solo  (June  23)

I  personally  believe  that  the  Pontiac  Silverdome  concert  was  recorded  for  historic  purpose. In  my  opinion, all  the  remaining  soundboards  will  surface during  the  next  years. It  is  a  matter  of  time. Remember  the  rumors  about  the  9/28/1971  and   9/29/1971  shows  in  Japan. Many  people  were  saying  that  the  tapes  do  not  exist. But  they  recently  starded  circulating, one  song  after  the  other. Soon, we  gonna  get  the  whole  thing.

All of the 75-77 shows were recorded, the real question is, which of these are in possession by the "soundboard revolution" source.  Almost certainly, it's not all of them.  In particular I wouldn't hold my breath for the Pontiac show.

In response to you inquiry of me trashing the 77'.

Robert Plant and Jone's both said on video or articles that the 1977 tour was a sham. Plant stated they "were show boating most of the tour" 

Jones said he hated playing in huge stadiums because of the lost connection with the fans.

Jimmy Page did state that "The demand was so huge we had no choice but to play stadiums"    

I have The Destroyer, Dallas 1975, Berlin 1980, San Fransisco 1969* killer show.   

So, you  trash  77  because  Page, Jones  and  Plant  said  "we  were  show  boating  most  shows."

This  is  true  for  some  shows  (less  than  half)  but  definitely  not  "most  shows." 

To  my  ears, many  77  shows  are  brilliant, and  way  better  than  75. Definitely  NOT  "a  shame." Actually, only  8  shows  out  of  40  are  bad.

And  i  have  to  remind  you  that  Page's  memory  is  not  what  you  think. He  once  said: "I  don't  remember  most  of  the  77  tour."

so two of the band say the tour wasn't up to par, or "showboating". I cant see how any one can argue that Page wasn't up to par for the tour. he may have had some good nights but his average was low and he spent too much time on stage alone, as did Bonham. ive never seen any of the band say anything detrimental about any of the tours between 68 - 73, and probably up to 75.

its all a matter of opinion of course but  I don't see any argument for 77 tour playing being better than any year up to 73. I prefer 75 to 77 but that's mostly for the set lists. I don't like the 77 shows because for 1 to 1.5 out of 3.5 hours there's only one of the band of the stage at a time. and they played many enormo-domes which generally aren't good for bands trying to create "feel"

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 4:25 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

All of the 75-77 shows were recorded, the real question is, which of these are in possession by the "soundboard revolution" source.  Almost certainly, it's not all of them.  In particular I wouldn't hold my breath for the Pontiac show.

That  would  be  awesome, but  how  do  we  know  that  April  1977  was  recorded? No  tapes  have  surfaced  yet. (Cleveland  4/27  is  another  story, it  was  recorded  "by  accident". It  wasn't  recorded  by  showco  employees, but  someone  else  brought  his  home  tape  deck  and  he  plugged  it  in.)

10 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

That  would  be  awesome, but  how  do  we  know  that  April  1977  was  recorded? No  tapes  have  surfaced  yet. (Cleveland  4/27  is  another  story, it  was  recorded  "by  accident". It  wasn't  recorded  by  showco  employees, but  someone  else  brought  his  home  tape  deck  and  he  plugged  it  in.)

I thought it was generally accepted that the band recorded all of their shows, at least starting in 1970 or so, so they could review performances, etc.  Which is why it's also generally accepted that these "soundboard revolution" tapes originate with someone connected to the band somehow, either through theft or leak.  Which is not to say individual or particular soundboards couldn't get out by other means, like the Destroyer show you mention, but those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Archived