Audience recordings Vs, Sound boards

strombringer101

I have come to a conclusion that Led Zeppelin multitude of bootlegs circulating around the web and other venues that some if not most led Zepp collectors might agree on. Led Zeppelin has some pretty outstanding Audience recording of their concerts that are being remastered to even greater listening enjoyment. For example I would have to say two songs from the concert I posted below sounds some much better than any soundboard recordings of the era. Kashmir and Achil

les Last Stand have always lack the rich power of Zeppelin live. I believe that some newer boots are improving the sounds.    

Audience sources give me the best "live music" experience, I like them much more than dry, sterile, soundboard tapes. The internet has allowed us access to the lowest generation copies of audience recordings ever!  Back in the 70's, those things were crappy, 23rd generation copies, on poorly (and illegally) pressed "bootleg" records.  There was no way to "Try before you buy", and very little was available, ya whatcha got and were happy...

The modern world rules!

Chef, you so right.  The audience recorded tapes add so much life to the overall performance.   Just recently, someone release an audience recording of the july 17 - 1977 Seattle show that we have been watching on video tape/dvd for years.  I look at the performance so much better now having a recording that matches the performance.  I have a few 80/Europe shows that are the same.  The soundboards have little "life" to them.  Very dry for sure.  For me, I especially love the few minutes that precede the show.  For example - on listen to this eddie, the first 2 minutes before the band kicks into The Song Remains the Same - the crowd starts to build up and the intensity picks up.  You can feel the momentum building.  That's when shows were events.  A little before my time, but a time lost forever. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm driving down the road or just want something playing in the background, I like a good soundboard. If I want to sit and zone out with headphones, I like an audience recording so I can imagine being in the audience. 

Though if it comes down to an audience recording that sounds like it's under water (Bath 1970) or a dry, characterless SB (anything from 77), I'll take the SB.

Depends on the show.  Compare Landover '75 audience vs soundboard, and Seattle '75 (2nd night) audience vs soundboard.  In my experience ones opinion of an excellent audience show won't be affected by the soundboard, but a merely good show (no matter how enjoyable) very likely will.  For example it's very possible the 1st San Diego '75 show will be cut down a few notches when the SB comes out, but there's no way the 2nd Long Beach '75 show will.

Archived