New Peter Grant Book

Mook

Cheers Mook. I'm sure I've seen Mark Blake's name in Classic Rock or one of the music mags. This will be an expensive second half of the year, especially when Jimmy gets round to releasing that chronological live album with never-before-heard 1968 tapes 😰

On 7/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Ross Halfin photo

:gimmefive:

On 7/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, dave2007 said:

Chelsea Harbour not Eastbourne

I wish I had known last month. I was in Chelsea for lunch. I also visited Jagger & Richards 1960s residences on Cheyne Walk and The Rolling Stones 1960s era residence at 102 Edith Grove. Of course, I also stopped by the old Swan Song Records office at 484 Kings Road too. I tried to access the gardens in the back but it was impossible.

15188317825_1edca6b9a8_b.jpg

20 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I wish I had known last month. I was in Chelsea for lunch. I also visited Jagger & Richards 1960s residences on Cheyne Walk and The Rolling Stones 1960s era residence at 102 Edith Grove. Of course, I also stopped by the old Swan Song Records office at 484 Kings Road too. I tried to access the gardens in the back but it was impossible.

Did you take pictures of Edith Grove? I suppose there aren't too many young musicians with no money around the neighborhood nowadays?

40 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:

Did you take pictures of Edith Grove? I suppose there aren't too many young musicians with no money around the neighborhood nowadays?

I photographed every location that I visited. No poor young musicians about. In fact, I walked about six blocks in the heat to find the Chelsea Drug Store that Mick had sung about in You Can't Always Get What You Want is now a McDonalds. :lol:

3 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Awesome pics SAJ :)

Thanks. They're not as sharp as I would like on account of a faulty camera setting but they convey the main idea. I also photographed these same places about 20 years ago. I'll dig those shots out one day and post them.

Is the pub they used to drink in near the Swan Song office still there? I forget what it's called now.

I'm in London 4/5 times a year with work but never anywhere near Kings Road unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Is the pub they used to drink in near the Swan Song office still there? I forget what it's called now.

Yes, the World's End Distillery is still directly across the street. 

According to my notes, the b&w photo below was taken around the back.

we.jpg

we2.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

On 7/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, SteveAJones said:

I photographed every location that I visited. No poor young musicians about. In fact, I walked about six blocks in the heat to find the Chelsea Drug Store that Mick had sung about in You Can't Always Get What You Want is now a McDonalds. :lol:

Thank you very much. Great pics.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:06 AM, SteveAJones said:

Nice photos SAJ. As a humorous aside, when "You Can't Always Get What You Want" first came out and was being played on the radio, I heard the lyric as "gypsy drugstore" and for many many years that is how I always thought the lyric was sung. It wasn't until I came across a Rolling Stones songbook in the 1980s that I discovered it was "Chelsea drugstore". 

Looking forward to the Peter Grant book and how it compares to The Man Who Led Zeppelin.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:21 AM, Strider said:

Nice photos SAJ. As a humorous aside, when "You Can't Always Get What You Want" first came out and was being played on the radio, I heard the lyric as "gypsy drugstore" and for many many years that is how I always thought the lyric was sung. It wasn't until I came across a Rolling Stones songbook in the 1980s that I discovered it was "Chelsea drugstore". 

Yeah, the Chelsea Drug Store really existed. It was not far from Mick & Keith's homes on Cheyne Walk, or Edith Grove for that matter. Alas, it's been completely refurbished and is now just another McDonalds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Drugstore

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Yeah, the Chelsea Drug Store really existed. It was not far from Mick & Keith's homes on Cheyne Walk, or Edith Grove for that matter. Alas, it's been completely refurbished and is now just another McDonalds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Drugstore

A real sign of how London's changed. Nowadays Cheyne Walk is for the super rich only.